Budget bassing poll - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 29th, 2020     03:57 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

View Poll Results: Which budget bassing approach would you recommend?
Pimped out kayak 13 16.25%
Older 15' McCrappie Rocket Ship 6 7.50%
Newer 17' Crappie style tracker Rocket Ship 22 27.50%
"Oldie but a goodie" needs a lot of love tracker 33 41.25%
"Pimp my Gila River Trophy Hunder" Pelican Bass Raider 6 7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:50 AM   #1
VinnieTheFish

Budget bassing poll

Assume for a moment that you don't care about tournament bass fishing. You just want to hit the water and you're on a limited budget just starting out. You had a few options to choose from with examples below from current craigslist for sale ad's. I've had several people ask me this who want to get into bass fishing off the shore and looking for pro's/con's of both. Assume you have a max budget of $3500 including all add on's, accessories, batteries, etc. So anything at $4k needing new tires, new trolling motor, etc would be exempt for argument sake.

Option 1 - the pimped out kayak route with trolling motor:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/4315163856.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bod/4268470906.html

Option 2 - the older 15' McCrappie w/ 25HP engine rocket ship
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bod/4312760401.html

Option 3 - the newer 17' crappie style tracker w/ new 9.9HP engine rocket ship
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/4317054035.html

Option 4 - the "oldie but a goodie" needs a lot of love bass tracker with no idea what hidden surprises you'll run into
Plenty of these out there here's an example
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/4310533318.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/4280059433.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/4234935324.html
http://tucson.craigslist.org/boa/4290443306.html
http://tucson.craigslist.org/boa/4248723956.html

Option 5 - the "Pimp my Gila River Trophy Hunter" Pelican Bass Raider with tons left over for upgrades
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/4313530134.html

Which would you choose? (vote in the poll)

Pro's and con's of why you would vote that way. This isn't for me I've had a number of people who I've talked to over the few months with similar questions. I've always had fiberglass boats so I don't know which path I'd recommend to them. The only obvious advice I could give them is more around the engine/compression.
VinnieTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Franklin J

None of the above.....backseat for awhile, maybe join a club as a non-boater, save your cash and get a boat you really want instead of settling such shitty boats

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #3
VinnieTheFish

Franklin it's not the shine on the boat or how much you spent on it, it's all about the size of fish you catch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Kcampbell

I am actually in this BOAT right now... get it? I am looking to spend 2-3K pn a boat and have actually found some great oldies. I'm in the market for the "oldie but a goodie." Id rather get a larger, more stable boat that needs some love, then a floating bathtub.
Kcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:05 PM   #5
THB

I've got a 97 17' Tracker with a 60hp motor. You are welcome to tag along sometime and see what you think. It floats, moves, put's me where the fish are, not scared to beach it on the sand/rocks. Fishes two people perfectly. Three can be challenging. Lot's of money left over for motorcycles, guns, krispy kreme, etc.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:32 PM   #6
bigfrog789

First off - this is easy. If your working with a limited budget, want to get off the shore, and not deal with the hassles of batteries, gas, upkeep, maintenance, breakdowns, etc. etc. - go with the kayak. I spent $1100-$1200 on mine a few years ago and have not spent $0.10 on my boat since. And trust me - there is NO need to spend anywhere close to $3500. Spend $900 - $1200 on something real nice and save the rest for a cheap graph, a few rods, reels, baits, and gas money for the truck!

With that said - whoever owns the yak in the craigslist ad is either physically disabled or just a real lazy SOB. A peddle system AND a trolling motor for a kayak? Jesus.
bigfrog789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Chase

You and your damn worthless polls
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Franklin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
You and your damn worthless polls
+100000

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Skunko!

Vinnie, you need to have at least an F-350 towing a brand new sparkle boat or youll get kicked out of the cool club. Im sure glad the catfishing community doesnt judge you by the image, but rather the functionality of your rig.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:38 PM   #10
VinnieTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunko! View Post
Vinnie, you need to have at least an F-350 towing a brand new sparkle boat or youll get kicked out of the cool club. Im sure glad the catfishing community doesnt judge you by the image, but rather the functionality of your rig.
That's because they judge me on the quality of my stinkbait. And my stinkbait sure does stink!
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:05 PM   #11
VinnieTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrog789 View Post
First off - this is easy. If your working with a limited budget, want to get off the shore, and not deal with the hassles of batteries, gas, upkeep, maintenance, breakdowns, etc. etc. - go with the kayak. I spent $1100-$1200 on mine a few years ago and have not spent $0.10 on my boat since. And trust me - there is NO need to spend anywhere close to $3500. Spend $900 - $1200 on something real nice and save the rest for a cheap graph, a few rods, reels, baits, and gas money for the truck!

With that said - whoever owns the yak in the craigslist ad is either physically disabled or just a real lazy SOB. A peddle system AND a trolling motor for a kayak? Jesus.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. That's a pretty expensive rig that looks like it was used only a small handful of times. I didn't even know they made trolling motors for kayaks so I started looking on youtube and found the Hobie Mirage drive that are upwards of $2k just for the trolling motor my buddy was showing me. He asked me to post here because he reads but never replies so I thought I'd help him out.

For a lot of people getting into the sport or just wanting to hit the water $3k is a lot of money. I already have my eye on a few used Fiberglass boats once the tax refund comes back (thanks Uncle Sam) and haven't really fished but a handful of times out of an aluminum boat. It's just funny to hear some of the responses from Chase/Franklin who I know are both running electronics on their boat more expensive than what most people consider starter boats.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:18 PM   #12
catchandrelease

My best times catching a lot of big bass was with a 16 ft. semi V aluminum bare bones boat that I added front & rear decks w/ seats , carpet, w/a tm only named her the Vaca Queen back in the 80s. The awesome days of Arivaca. A bag of hooks, worms & weights w/ some top water , frogs etc. put a lot of big bass in the boat year after year.
I have caught more & bigger fish w/ that little boat than I have w/ my bigger boats over the years
Anything that you can afford to get on the water and just fish and have fun is all you need.
I love fishing out of my Ranger with all of the stuff that I have these days.
The last few trips this year have again been on Vaca w/ my little 12 ft. John boat and have really enjoyed it w/ no crowds , caught fish and great scenery.
Doesn`t matter what you have as long as you can get out and fish.
I am looking forward to more time out w/ the big boat this year at the big lakes but Vaca will do just fine any time of the week.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:42 PM   #13
morefish

Keep resale in mind. A 3500 tracker will not depreciate. Fish it til you can afford something else, then dump it with no loss.
morefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:58 PM   #14
basstomouth

If I was on a budget under $3000, I would get just a 16ft aluminum boat with a motor....doesn't matter how old. All it is a boat and motor. You fill it with water to check for leaks, make sure the motor starts okay and you can be out there for under $1500 easy.

With your extra cash, maybe you buy some electronics and a trolling motor. Electronics, to me, are the lowest priority.

The yaks are cool for a lot of reasons, but you can't take somebody with you.
basstomouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:07 PM   #15
Chase

So franklins 20i is a starter boat lmao. Some might say mine is a starter boat but i know alot of buddys that would love to have and say its plenty big for them. Yeah my electronics cost more than the boat but thats so i can put them on my next boat and not have to upgrade twice. Gots to be thinking ahead vinny....if ya would have gotten fixed ya wouldnt have to have sold your boat and be looking for an inflatable.