Lake Pleasant Fishery Improvement - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 20th, 2020     07:03 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old March 20th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Franklin J

Lake Pleasant Fishery Improvement

I read all this stuff about trying to fix Rosy and make it a better fishery, whats the deal with Pleasant? Has Game and Fish really just written this lake off? The fishing at Plez isnt bad, but neither is Rosy? Why not turn it into a world class striped bass fishery? Thats could easily be done...thoughts?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #2
5 keepers

Franklin... AZ g&f does not give two shits about warm water species and the anglers that buy their licenses, generate revenue etc., for Lake Pleasant. They care about two things for fish...trout and federal funded dollars for endangered species. At the time they had a gift...Pleasant in it's hay day...and they did nothing about it. If you want Pleasant fixed find an endangered species within that fishery, figure out how to put trout in there or fund it personally. JMHO...
5 keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Striper Mike

I was told they would stock it with SM if they had proof there were already SM in it. I caught one weighing 2.88lbs during a BLDBB tourney a few years ago, G&F came and took pictures of the fish and left. Nothing happened after that to my knowledge. Now with the Quaggas that is just another reason to do nothing but wait and see what happens. Besides, that lake just needs new nutrient filled water. The same year I caught the SM we had received a bunch of rain and the river was really flowing into the lake. That lake was filled with nutrients from one end to the other. Shad were abundant for the next couple years and stripers were aggressive as hell. Caught a bunch from 5lbs-8lbs and even more in the 2lb-3lb class. Since then we haven't had $hit for rain, just CAP water. I am sure there is still an abundance of even large shad but they are just about always in deeper water. I would like to see gizzard shad in that lake instead of Rosey but that is only because I typically only fish Plez for stripers with the exception of a few Lake Mary trips for my Pike and Walleye addiction. That lake certainly has the potential for large stripers. Just need healthier water in my opinion so the shad count increases. Maybe the crappie will come back like they were 15yrs ago. Use to catch a ton of them until the stripers took over. They have adapted I am sure but I bet there are a lot fewer of them now and deeper like everything else because of that clear water.
Striper Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Spoonplugger

Pleasant is missing an abundant, open-water forage base. When you scan the other lakes around the valley, they are loaded with Threadfin for miles in the channels. Pleasant has few bait balls, here and there -- and when you take in account the amount of water in Pleasant, the Threadfin shad population is thin.

The Stripers are eating machines and could use another open water food source ... like maybe Gizzard Shad ...

Pleasant has a lot of good things going for it...

- Plenty of natural habitat in many areas in the form of trees and rock/boulder reef areas.

- It has plenty of water flow all year (via the CAP pump and drain each year) and has no oxygen issues.

- Nutrients get into the lake with rain runoff and the annual "new lake effect", when the water rises ~50ft each year from Nov-Apr. The rising water covers a lot of growth from bushes and cocklebur plants.

Do quagga mussels filter too much phytoplankton and zooplankton to impact the shad population of a lake? Not according to the study done at Lake Mead. Green Algae still grows down on rock reefs in 20-35ft of water.

So ... Pleasant could probably support more shad to feed the Striper herds and have some leftovers for the other sportfish. Smallmouth or Coosa Spotted Bass stocking attempts would be really interesting.
Spoonplugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mike View Post
I was told they would stock it with SM if they had proof there were already SM in it. I caught one weighing 2.88lbs during a BLDBB tourney a few years ago, G&F came and took pictures of the fish and left. Nothing happened after that to my knowledge. Now with the Quaggas that is just another reason to do nothing but wait and see what happens. Besides, that lake just needs new nutrient filled water. The same year I caught the SM we had received a bunch of rain and the river was really flowing into the lake. That lake was filled with nutrients from one end to the other. Shad were abundant for the next couple years and stripers were aggressive as hell. Caught a bunch from 5lbs-8lbs and even more in the 2lb-3lb class. Since then we haven't had $hit for rain, just CAP water. I am sure there is still an abundance of even large shad but they are just about always in deeper water. I would like to see gizzard shad in that lake instead of Rosey but that is only because I typically only fish Plez for stripers with the exception of a few Lake Mary trips for my Pike and Walleye addiction. That lake certainly has the potential for large stripers. Just need healthier water in my opinion so the shad count increases. Maybe the crappie will come back like they were 15yrs ago. Use to catch a ton of them until the stripers took over. They have adapted I am sure but I bet there are a lot fewer of them now and deeper like everything else because of that clear water.
The sm bass stocking was the real deal if and only if the fish were in there naturally. either by canal or respawns. what they wouldnt do is stock it if the fish caught were from illegal stocking, that was made pretty clear about 15 years ago.
lots of people for years have imported smallies from lake havasu to pleasant. while for a few years smalleis were caught, I dont see any signifigant proof they actually had a real spawn ever.
Personally I would love to see smallies in pleasant however over this long of a period you would think they would make it if the fish survived. I dont think they last very long in pleasant so stocking it probally would be a giant waste of money.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #6
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonplugger View Post
Pleasant is missing an abundant, open-water forage base. When you scan the other lakes around the valley, they are loaded with Threadfin for miles in the channels. Pleasant has few bait balls, here and there -- and when you take in account the amount of water in Pleasant, the Threadfin shad population is thin.

The Stripers are eating machines and could use another open water food source ... like maybe Gizzard Shad ...

Pleasant has a lot of good things going for it...

- Plenty of natural habitat in many areas in the form of trees and rock/boulder reef areas.

- It has plenty of water flow all year (via the CAP pump and drain each year) and has no oxygen issues.

- Nutrients get into the lake with rain runoff and the annual "new lake effect", when the water rises ~50ft each year from Nov-Apr. The rising water covers a lot of growth from bushes and cocklebur plants.

Do quagga mussels filter too much phytoplankton and zooplankton to impact the shad population of a lake? Not according to the study done at Lake Mead. Green Algae still grows down on rock reefs in 20-35ft of water.

So ... Pleasant could probably support more shad to feed the Striper herds and have some leftovers for the other sportfish. Smallmouth or Coosa Spotted Bass stocking attempts would be really interesting.
we havent had the so called "new lake effect for a number of years at pleasant. the cap water coming in is viod of any and all nutrients due to the convrete canal filtering them out. the only nutrients pleasant gets is from rain fall, nothing more.
While people think that raising and lowering of the lake pulls in nutrienst viad flooding over grown grassy areas is doesnt. it needs soil and minerals from the hills.

unless the lake has changed that drastically in the last 2 years the shad population is huge, alot bigger then the few bait balls your talking about.

go back to 2002 and look at when we get rains and when we dont compare results you will see a huge increase in size of the fish and the amount of the fish being caught. right now were on the bottom stroke bartlett is a good indicator of the drought as well. heck look at rosy its the same way rosy just takes longer to get slow catching and small fish than pleasant and bartlett.
the only thing going for bartlett right now is that horseshoe is way up when they start releasing that water it will help bartlet. pleasant and rosy dont have that option and as a matter of fact very few times has bartlett had that option.

the fish at pleasant are there, the rain will just make them come up. if you remember back in 2004? we had huge rains in march. the weights were unbelieveable in may june -nov. the size of the fish basically trippled overnight they didnt get fat that fast from the nutrients but they did show up from somehwere. the smaller fish did get bigger faster from the nutrients. and the following year pleasant was off the hook.

if I remember correctly thats when dj weighed in 30+lbs for 4 fish,

just pray for rain cause its the only thing we got that will help all the lakes.
this year we should get some good rains in the summer. were definatly about due for them. while the summer rains help the winter rains are far better for pleasant.
Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #7
CatFishKing

I would have to agree that there is a huge population of shad, every year for the past 4 years I have seen huge blooms of them in both of the pleasant harbor marinas.
CatFishKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:13 AM   #8
Paul Matthews

Spotted bass might be the answer.
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:58 AM   #9
C-note

Grass
C-note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 06:06 AM   #10
5 keepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-note View Post
Grass
You're right but it won't survive with the lake level fluctuations

Now...possibly artificial structures but it would take a lot of those because of the lake level fluctuations.
5 keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:04 AM   #11
Spoonplugger

Unless you have been out at Pleasant with Structure Scan running 455hz for the past few years and scanning all the channels and creeks, you don't understand what I am saying about how thin the threadfin shad population out there...compared to our other desert lakes.

I absolutely believe that the runoff has a big effect, but I am talking about the toll the Stripers have taken on the existing forage base -- 2004...fast forward to 2014 and many years of striper herds eating more food than the lake is reproducing at this point.

Unfortunately, you won't run into anything like this at Pleasant--gobs of threadfin. If someone does, please take a screenshot...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canyon-LargeShadGroup.jpg
Views:	1599
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	51874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canyon-MassofShad.jpg
Views:	1603
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	51882  
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Spoonplugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-note View Post
Grass
For sure.

With the lake level fluctuation at 60+ feet annually. Cocklebur plants are about it at Pleasant...
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:23 AM   #13
bigfrog789

World class striper fishery 45 minutes from the house sounds great. Im in.

Last edited by bigfrog789; March 21st, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
bigfrog789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:26 AM   #14
onthefly

OK help me understand this, if rain is the only way nutrients gets in to the lake where is the nutrients coming from in Saguaro?
onthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:27 AM   #15
Trotline

Those cockleburs are great for combing out streamers.