Trolling Motor Question - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 20th, 2020     07:11 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old June 27th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #1
Raptor

Trolling Motor Question

I just put 3 new batteries in the boat and labeled all my connections so I wouldn't screw anything up when I re connected them. Prior to removing the batteries my trolling motor was barely running. So now,,,I have 3 new batteries in and my trolling motor still run's at like 20% even though it's turned up to 100%. All batteries are 95% charged. I checked the shaft to see if there was fishing line everything is ok. The trolling motor is a Fortrexx. Any Idea what could be wrong???

Thanks

Bob
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #2
TD.

Maybe it's worn out ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
\]

Fillet & Release
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #3
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD. View Post
Maybe it's worn out ...

Brand new Trolling Motor last year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #4
bassguru

"Prior to removing the batteries my trolling motor was barely running. So now,,,I have 3 new batteries in and my trolling motor still run's at like 20% "

Maybe you better check the way you have (and have had) them wired.
bassguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #5
Handyman

Raptor, I'm guessing you are running three batteries for 12, 24, and 36 volts? If that is the case and your trolling motor is running slow on all three voltages I would look at your negative wire running back to the battery bank since it would be common between all three voltage selections. Take an ohm meter and check resistance from the trolling motor connection up front all the way back to the batteries, it should be less than 1 ohm. If it is higher than that I would look at any splices, switches, or terminal connections between the battery connection and the trolling motor along that line. It would be a good idea to check all the lines the same way and make sure you disconnect them from the batteries before putting the meter on them.
The wiring should also be of sufficient gauge to handle the current draw of the trolling motor. It might be worth picking up enough wire to just run new wires up across the deck to the motor or putting one battery up on the front deck and hooking the trolling motor up directly to it just to verify the motor is good.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguru View Post
"Prior to removing the batteries my trolling motor was barely running. So now,,,I have 3 new batteries in and my trolling motor still run's at like 20% "

Maybe you better check the way you have (and have had) them wired.
I'm going to check, I'm not an electrician so I may give someone a call that knows there way around this kind of thing.

Thank you

Bob
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #7
2Dogs

If it's not the wiring, take it to Ernie as long as it's under warranty, best kota man in the valley.
A Veteran is someone, who at one point in his or hers life wrote out a blank check made payable to "The UNITED STATES of AMERICA' for an amount up to and including his/her's LIFE. That is honor "Author Unkown"
2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #8
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
Raptor, I'm guessing you are running three batteries for 12, 24, and 36 volts? If that is the case and your trolling motor is running slow on all three voltages I would look at your negative wire running back to the battery bank since it would be common between all three voltage selections. Take an ohm meter and check resistance from the trolling motor connection up front all the way back to the batteries, it should be less than 1 ohm. If it is higher than that I would look at any splices, switches, or terminal connections between the battery connection and the trolling motor along that line. It would be a good idea to check all the lines the same way and make sure you disconnect them from the batteries before putting the meter on them.
The wiring should also be of sufficient gauge to handle the current draw of the trolling motor. It might be worth picking up enough wire to just run new wires up across the deck to the motor or putting one battery up on the front deck and hooking the trolling motor up directly to it just to verify the motor is good.
OK, thank you for the info. I' going to try to find someone here on the zone that can look at it. I'm not much of an electrician. I had the TM installed at Cabela's last year and It has worked flawlessly until now. If you happen to know anyone that can help me out, send them my way. I was planning on fishing this weekend but sadly can't go without a TM

Thanks again

Bob
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #9
YELOSUB

Bob I sent you Ryan's info, that's who I would have trouble shoot it...
DATE: 01/07/15 @ 8:50AM
LAKE: CANYON
LURE: SWIMBAIT
NET BITCH: JUSTIN
YELOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #10
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELOSUB View Post
Bob I sent you Ryan's info, that's who I would have trouble shoot it...
I called and left a message tim. thanks hopefully he can get it squared away.

Bob
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #11
Fergie270

trolling motor help

Be sure sure you place batts.in same way. I doubt it's your trolling moter it's either a crossed wire negative should be on positive or vise versa. And I would load test your batteries not a volt meter..might have a bad cell and that will effect the whole bank new battery or not if it sat for while I would charge and load test . Of check fuses...p.s did you get the Trojans? P.m. me curious what the cause of trolling motor problem
Fergie270 is offline   Reply With Quote