Why is Bass angler satisfaction so low on Lake Pleasant according to some? - AZBZ Forums
           
Arizona Bass Zone

   
October 30th, 2020     01:04 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:45 PM   #1
B SHEP
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
Why is Bass angler satisfaction so low on Lake Pleasant according to some?

Why do so many complain about not being able to catch large Bass with consistency or complain about the average size Bass they catch out of Lake Pleasant?

Is it, because of the Stripers?

Is it, because the lake was increased in size?

Or, is it simply the genetic make-up of the Bass itself?

All of the above?


I do not think there is an issue, but I believe the dissatisfaction anglers are experiencing has to do with the genetic make-up of the fish along with the fact that the lake is so large compared to what it once was. The Striper thing makes very little sense. Comparing tournament results of today to the past doesn't make sense due to how much larger the lake is...


What do you think?
__________________
2001 (same year as Garret's boat) Tuffy Esox Magnum. 60 EFI.


Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by B SHEP; March 23rd, 2016 at 07:10 PM.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Franklin J
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Apache Junction
Posts: 13,746
Images: 7
Muskie aren't going into Pleasant. Plez gets sterile water from the CAP. Plez is great when we get run off from the river......not much for nutrients in that water right now.......

The stripers just made everything worse.....

Either way Muskies aren't coming give it up.....

I signed a petition for bullsharks though....



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:26 PM   #3
B SHEP
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
This post has nothing to do with Muskies. I can see you are interested in them, though.
__________________
2001 (same year as Garret's boat) Tuffy Esox Magnum. 60 EFI.


Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:38 PM   #4
basman1313
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: nw valley
Posts: 4,192
Images: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post
Why do so many complain about not being able to catch large Bass with consistency or complain about the average size Bass they catch out of Lake Pleasant?

Is it, because of the Stripers?

Is it, because the lake was increased in size?

Or, is it simply the genetic make-up of the Bass itself?

All of the above?


I believe it has to do with the genetic make-up of the fish along with the fact that the lake is so large compared to what it once was. The Striper thing makes very little sense. Comparing tournament results of today to the past doesn't make sense due to how much larger the lake is...


What do you think?
Are you new to AZ? Fishing? An idiot?

More water is a bad thing.....
__________________
"Somebody needs to go back and get a shitload of dimes!"
basman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:49 PM   #5
B SHEP
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
You think I am new to Arizona, because I asked a question I see you guy fight and argue about regularly that nobody seems to know the answer to? Do you have an idea what it can be? I did not see any ideas...

Made my first cast in Arizona 20 years ago.

Who said more water was a bad thing?

You have a better chance of getting your lure in front of the face of a fish in a small lake full of fish than you do in a larger lake with the same number of fish in it as the smaller lake.

Make sense now?
__________________
2001 (same year as Garret's boat) Tuffy Esox Magnum. 60 EFI.


Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:03 PM   #6
catchandrelease
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tucson,Az
Posts: 3,556
Images: 7
Probably a combination of things.
Stripers came in and love to feed on shad , so do lm & whites.
Difference is lm mouth are a lot lazier than stripers & whites.
Stripers & whites typically run in large schools and devour the shad by the thousands no matter where they are, up top , mid or low and they keep the shad on the run full time . If they are not feeding they will keep them corraled or follow them so they know where their next meal is.
The old days prior to the new dam were awesome , great lm & white bass fishing , they got along well prior to the stripers. Personally I love fishing for stripers especially when they are schooled up and hitting top water , nothing better than that or even fishing deep w/ chovies etc. when you keep nailing them. Some of my best fishing memories have been at Powell striper fishing. I think it`s great we have a good striper lake smack dab in the middle of the desert.
Quagga mussel issue= depletion of nutrients = less plankton = less shad , vegetation , gin clear water etc.
Options for lm for forage without competing w/ the Stripers & whites for the shad are crayfish , blugill etc.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:06 PM   #7
Nitro
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,494
Images: 14
I think the blue catfish has destroyed that lake..
__________________
SUK IT..............
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:29 PM   #8
basman1313
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: nw valley
Posts: 4,192
Images: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post
You think I am new to Arizona, because I asked a question I see you guy fight and argue about regularly that nobody seems to know the answer to? Do you have an idea what it can be? I did not see any ideas...

Made my first cast in Arizona 20 years ago.

Who said more water was a bad thing?

You have a better chance of getting your lure in front of the face of a fish in a small lake full of fish than you do in a larger lake with the same number of fish in it as the smaller lake.

Make sense now?
Plez before the new damn was an average AZ bass lake.

The new damn created new flooded vegetation and "new lake syndrome"

From 1997 to 2005 Plez was the best bass fisherie in the southwest. The best 6 fish limit was 48 lbs. The best 5 fish limit was 37 lbs. For about a 4 year stint if you didnt have at least 20 lbs you wernt going to cash a check.

The cause of the horrific decline? The following in no specific order......

Stripers.

Drought

Mussels

Bill Puke big bass

The dissapearence of bank vegetation (when the lake is up all the way to low water)

Gin clear absent of nutrients cap water.

Pressure.

Dumbasses keeping 5 lb bass because they think its a 10.

Dumbasses keeping multiple 10 lb fish


If you have been fishing here for 20 years you should know all of the above.
__________________
"Somebody needs to go back and get a shitload of dimes!"
basman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:40 PM   #9
B SHEP
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
I did not ask the question due to not having clue bud... I posted the question to see what others think about the situation and create a place where you guys can express your opinions and beliefs on the subject.

I want to know why and how some of you think and believe the Stripers are a reason for why Bass can not achieve the sizes people expect... I disagree with the Striper theory
__________________
2001 (same year as Garret's boat) Tuffy Esox Magnum. 60 EFI.


Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:49 PM   #10
basman1313
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: nw valley
Posts: 4,192
Images: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post
I did not ask the question due to not having clue bud... I posted the question to see what others think about the situation and create a place where you guys can express your opinions and beliefs on the subject.

I want to know why and how some of you think and believe the Stripers are a reason for why Bass can not achieve the sizes people expect... I disagree with the Striper theory
Stripers eat shad, crawdads and BASS. Add in a lack of vegetation and there is no place for the frye to hide.

I have personally seen a striper wolfpack of 4 lb to 6 lb stripers push a school of 1 lb to 2lb bass to the surface and slaughter them.

Think what you want.
__________________
"Somebody needs to go back and get a shitload of dimes!"
basman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:01 PM   #11
B SHEP
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
How about some reasons as to why and how you believe Striped Bass are stopping the Largemouth Bass that do survive from reaching maximum growth expectancy...

It seems that plenty of Largemouth Bass survive to the point where they are too big for a 4-6 pound Striper to eat them.
__________________
2001 (same year as Garret's boat) Tuffy Esox Magnum. 60 EFI.


Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:15 PM   #12
basman1313
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: nw valley
Posts: 4,192
Images: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post
How about some reasons as to why and how you believe Striped Bass are stopping the Largemouth Bass that do survive from reaching maximum growth expectancy...

It seems that plenty of Largemouth Bass survive to the point where they are too big for a 4-6 pound Striper to eat them.
WOW,

Stripers eat shad and crawdads. There is a reason the stripers arent as fat as they use to be. The forage base is SMALLER. Go a week without eating and let me know if you gain weight.

A 10 lb striper will eat a 4 lb bass.

Did you spend your 20 years fishing here with a fairy wand in your hand chasing trout?
__________________
"Somebody needs to go back and get a shitload of dimes!"
basman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:27 PM   #13
B SHEP
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
Like I said, I am not asking you questions based on ignorance or not having a clue when it comes to the topic. I'm simply asking for your opinion with some reasoning behind it.

Based on what has been said, Lake Pleasant would be in the same condition as far as Largemouth Bass size goes regardless if Striped Bass existed or not.

Largemouth Bass also eat shad, crawdads, and other Largemouth Bass everywhere else...

Let's try and remember that children may view this forum from time to time. Let's try and be reasonable and educational in our responses.
__________________
2001 (same year as Garret's boat) Tuffy Esox Magnum. 60 EFI.


Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:40 PM   #14
champ,204
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,874
Images: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by B SHEP View Post

Let's try and remember that children may view this forum from time to time. Let's try and be reasonable and educational in our responses.
You have got to be shitting me with a response like that.
__________________
Getting paid and getting laid!
champ,204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:49 PM   #15
B SHEP
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
I'm just throwing it out there for the people who like to call people names and insult people they don't know...
__________________
2001 (same year as Garret's boat) Tuffy Esox Magnum. 60 EFI.


Discuss and support the idea to re-introduce the Muskie to Arizona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B SHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Images, Logos, Trademarks are property of thier respective owners, All other content Copyright 2003 AZBassZone.com , All Rights Reserved.