Boat mechanic - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

October 26th, 2020     02:22 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old June 7th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Fishin freddy

Boat mechanic

Just got back onto azbz been a while since I was on here any help would be appreciated. Just got a 1981 ranger 375 v with a 150 Mercury and needs some motor maintenance who's a reputable mechanic in the west valley. Thanks guys
Fishin freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #2
badaz4570

One word! "Performance Marine!"
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Fishin freddy

My motor is to old they only work on 95 and newer that's who I asked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #4
redhammer

Try Hale's Marine Service (623) 879-7236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Novice_Dave

What work do you need? Do you have a problem with the engine or does it just need maintenance?
Novice_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #6
Fishin freddy

Boat hasn't been started in about 10 years so just needs to be serviced and I lost the key to it and needs a new ignition
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #7
champ204suks

Bruce dean marine is a good one
champ204suks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Roosevelt Mark

Probably needs the carbs gone through, plugs and impeller replaced. New battery etc. Probably around 1k.
Roosevelt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #9
Catfish Campbell

Smileys boat repair
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #10
Delw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin freddy View Post
Just got back onto azbz been a while since I was on here any help would be appreciated. Just got a 1981 ranger 375 v with a 150 Mercury and needs some motor maintenance who's a reputable mechanic in the west valley. Thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin freddy View Post
Boat hasn't been started in about 10 years so just needs to be serviced and I lost the key to it and needs a new ignition
your going to have a ton of problems.

heres your best bet. dont spedna dime till you do this.
get some of that seafoam and or that merc spray they use to clean out carbs.
take the line off each carb there is 3 lines. spray it in there.
then goto the cylinders remove all the plugs. spray some 2 stroke oil in there Plain mixed with NOTHING.
crank it over a few times by hand BUT with kill switch off so it wont start. spray again then crank again.
do the merc cleaning shit again and crank it over again.
put fresh gas in it, with a can of seafoam.
crank it over with ignition again NO starting kill switch off
let is sit for a few days.

now after a few days
hook some water muffs on it, turn water on full blast crank the motor so it starts. if it does shut it off right away and read below. if it doesnt bring it to a mechanic.

if it does start.
then replace the water impeller before you go any further.
once thats replaced take it to the lake on a weekday and dont expect alot but try it out..

if it doesnt start and you dont understand 2 strokes and cant do minor service work you need to think ebfore you go any farther.

on a 36 year old motor thats been sitting for 10 years your going to probably have some major problems.
fuel pump membrane will be bad you do it 40 bucks mechanic does it 100+
popit valve will be shot you do it 20-40 bucks, mechanic 100+
mechanic will want to complete rebuild all three crabs 400?
you can do it( extreamly simple for 30 each carb(crab rebuild kits)
if I recall the 81 mercs had a old mechanical choke so you dont have to worry about the enricher valve, you also shouldnt have to worry about a automatic oiler and just plan on mixing your fuel. dont even risk the oiler at this point.

if your not getting any spark, it could be from a ton of things, however sitting as long as it has and I assume outside the flywheel will be rusted on the magneto contact points take off flywheel and sand them with sand paper then put back on.
you also could not have any spark due to the 2 spark power packs on the drivers side of boat on the motor. They dont go out just sitting there but chances are thats why it has been sitting for 10 years. 150-350 each and you should replace both.
you can check every other electrical componet to find your problem except power packs. and its simple.

powerhead /pistons
chances are they are rusted and or rings are stuck hence why I mentioned the oiling in the first thing.
do a compression check it easy

lower unit drain the oil and put new in.
chances are once you run it you will be leaking and getting water in it.
if there water in it now and it comes out rusted your **** (500-1800 bucks)

the other problem you will more than likely have is your tilt trim. I liked the 81 merc tilt trim as it wasnt combined in one unit, it has the motor in the back of the boat and the cylinder on the trim unit.
sitting for 10 years its probally going to leak back but you never know. its easy to rebuild unless the motor unit is toast.

one other thing to look at is the 81 used some shitty ass wiring. the wire insulation comes apart very easy due to the heat. if its crack chipped or shows wires dont even try to start it. replace it all with the correct wire not shit you get from autozone. you need the very fine stranded wire for marine theres a purpose for that.

if you dont follow these steps and take it to a mechanic you will probally sink 1-3k into a motor that is basically junk before you even find out.
the motor could be worn out have a seized piston bad rod, bad electronics and the list goes on.
following these steps with keep from sinking 300+ into a carb job only to find out your motor is siezed up.

Do not use carb cleaner in the carbs to try and get it started, you will toast you motor in less than 1 min. only use it to clean the carbs. dont rely on your oil mixing correctly premix it before you do anything

on the bright side you can get lucky, I have seen quite a few motors sitting for 5-10+ years and following the above there still running ok.
but before you sink any money into the motor, you may want make sure the boat will floa and if its cost justifiable to put 1-3k into a 36 year old boat

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Delw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #11
birddog

brent and randy at preformance marine. they are HONEST n do good work.
birddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #12
Fishin freddy

Thanks delw I feel like I can do all that myself now that you say that it's been sitting under a shed for about 8 years then I took it to Texas for 2 years and it sat outside so hopefully no major problems with the engine seized. I took the tanks out and cleaned them out. Do y'all know the rAtio for the gas to oil in it. And a website that sells the old parts for these boats in case I need some things . I have a newer lower unit for the boat already I need the gears from it transferred into my old one. My uncle supposedly hit a tree at Alamo and all the gears were messed up.
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #13
socceraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delw View Post
your going to have a ton of problems.

heres your best bet. dont spedna dime till you do this.
get some of that seafoam and or that merc spray they use to clean out carbs.
take the line off each carb there is 3 lines. spray it in there.
then goto the cylinders remove all the plugs. spray some 2 stroke oil in there Plain mixed with NOTHING.
crank it over a few times by hand BUT with kill switch off so it wont start. spray again then crank again.
do the merc cleaning shit again and crank it over again.
put fresh gas in it, with a can of seafoam.
crank it over with ignition again NO starting kill switch off
let is sit for a few days.

now after a few days
hook some water muffs on it, turn water on full blast crank the motor so it starts. if it does shut it off right away and read below. if it doesnt bring it to a mechanic.

if it does start.
then replace the water impeller before you go any further.
once thats replaced take it to the lake on a weekday and dont expect alot but try it out..

if it doesnt start and you dont understand 2 strokes and cant do minor service work you need to think ebfore you go any farther.

on a 36 year old motor thats been sitting for 10 years your going to probably have some major problems.
fuel pump membrane will be bad you do it 40 bucks mechanic does it 100+
popit valve will be shot you do it 20-40 bucks, mechanic 100+
mechanic will want to complete rebuild all three crabs 400?
you can do it( extreamly simple for 30 each carb(crab rebuild kits)
if I recall the 81 mercs had a old mechanical choke so you dont have to worry about the enricher valve, you also shouldnt have to worry about a automatic oiler and just plan on mixing your fuel. dont even risk the oiler at this point.

if your not getting any spark, it could be from a ton of things, however sitting as long as it has and I assume outside the flywheel will be rusted on the magneto contact points take off flywheel and sand them with sand paper then put back on.
you also could not have any spark due to the 2 spark power packs on the drivers side of boat on the motor. They dont go out just sitting there but chances are thats why it has been sitting for 10 years. 150-350 each and you should replace both.
you can check every other electrical componet to find your problem except power packs. and its simple.

powerhead /pistons
chances are they are rusted and or rings are stuck hence why I mentioned the oiling in the first thing.
do a compression check it easy

lower unit drain the oil and put new in.
chances are once you run it you will be leaking and getting water in it.
if there water in it now and it comes out rusted your **** (500-1800 bucks)

the other problem you will more than likely have is your tilt trim. I liked the 81 merc tilt trim as it wasnt combined in one unit, it has the motor in the back of the boat and the cylinder on the trim unit.
sitting for 10 years its probally going to leak back but you never know. its easy to rebuild unless the motor unit is toast.

one other thing to look at is the 81 used some shitty ass wiring. the wire insulation comes apart very easy due to the heat. if its crack chipped or shows wires dont even try to start it. replace it all with the correct wire not shit you get from autozone. you need the very fine stranded wire for marine theres a purpose for that.

if you dont follow these steps and take it to a mechanic you will probally sink 1-3k into a motor that is basically junk before you even find out.
the motor could be worn out have a seized piston bad rod, bad electronics and the list goes on.
following these steps with keep from sinking 300+ into a carb job only to find out your motor is siezed up.

Do not use carb cleaner in the carbs to try and get it started, you will toast you motor in less than 1 min. only use it to clean the carbs. dont rely on your oil mixing correctly premix it before you do anything

on the bright side you can get lucky, I have seen quite a few motors sitting for 5-10+ years and following the above there still running ok.
but before you sink any money into the motor, you may want make sure the boat will floa and if its cost justifiable to put 1-3k into a 36 year old boat

Delw
Great post Del, you should make this a sticky.
socceraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 07:06 AM   #14
zxc

50:1 oil ratio.
zxc is offline   Reply With Quote