Lake Pleasant Fishing Report - 8/16/11 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

July 15th, 2019     12:00 PM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Reports > The Hook-Up Outfitters Guide Reports

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1
The Hook Up Tackle

Lake Pleasant Fishing Report - 8/16/11

For those of you hitting up the lake this week, I wanted to keep you updated to the conditions and the bite. The lake is still dropping about 8-12 inches a day, and is pushing the fish into a pretty solid pattern. Water temps are still in the mid 80's in the main lake to the low 90's in the back of the river.

The topwater bite has been great on the cloudy days, and with the monsoon being all over the place we have had some great mornings and afternoons, so plan accordingly.

Largemouth are starting to school up and chase bait with the stripers and whites. All of a sudden shad have shown up in the creek arms in anywhere from 1 foot to 30 foot of water, and the fish are stacked on them. Look for boils in open water to be mostly stripers, but if the boil moves toward the banks the largemouth are right there jumping in. Best baits have been skinny dippers, walking baits (gunfish, sammys, etc) and little jerkbaits (pointer 78 size). When the sun comes up and it gets slick the bite can get tough, but some guys are still catching some just pitching plastics to the bank, but you have to cover a lot of ground.

Stripers are, as I said, boiling well at times on the bait. On sunny bluebird days there is also a great deep bite in 60-65 feet in the ditches of the channels. All of the creek channels and main lake coves have fish working these depths right now, it's just a matter of timing. These fish are solid 3-6 pound fish, and will eat spoons, chovies and heavy swimbaits really well. This is the fishing you want to hit if you have kids or anyone just looking to have a blast catching. One thing I will note on these stripers, they are very line shy. Even in 60 feet, 6-8 pound fluoro makes a huge difference if you're using bait. If you get on the right spot you can absolutley punish them right now, and the fish are fresh and mean!

Have fun fishing this week! If there is anything we can do to help you out let us know!
The Hook Up Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #2
wadefisheman

Great report! Thanks.
wadefisheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Decoy

Guys, that's a great help to us. Thanks a bunch.

Old August 16th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Turtle Soup

awesome report, thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's Always Something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turtle Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #5
JustinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hook Up Tackle View Post
If there is anything we can do to help you out let us know!
Yes there is! Get my back order to me from 3, going on 4 weeks ago!
What ever you do, do not post what is on back order!!!
Thanks for the report.
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Lone Ranger

Great report guys. What's your recommended line size for spooning in 60-65 feet of water? Is it still 6-8 lb. for fluorocarbon? Thanks.

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #7
stevert

Thanks for the report.
stevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #8
R61

Parked my boat right next to the store Monday morning and bought a gallon of bassboat saver and asked the gentleman working behind the counter(sorry didnt get your name)if he can help me on lures and plastic selections and he was nice enough to go outside to see what i already have and went through my stuff to check what i needed and man i was a happy camper when i left the store....THANKS HOOK UP!!!!!
R61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #9
Evilmonkey

As always you guy's have been very helpful ,it's nice to have someone right at the lake and on the water alot for help does'nt get much better than that..
Evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Fishless

great report thanks, great spoon bite now for big multi species and you don't have to travel far for striper boils, man there is so many age classes of stripers in that lake their numbers must be in the gazzilions, still can not believe you will see coves with huge schools of shad with nothing bothering them, how they survive the onslaught is beyond me?
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #11
The Hook Up Tackle

For spooning, you can get away with 14-16 pound no problem because the baits are moving pretty fast. If you're using bait (anchoives), line plays a huge roll, even at night. Just to give you an idea, we were out just for fun the other night and guys using 14lb couldn't get bit, but guys using 7lb were catching them every drop.

Just in time - As soon as "un-mentioned" company restocks the "un-mentioned" baits we will get them to you.

Have fun guys!

Last edited by The Hook Up Tackle; August 17th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
The Hook Up Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #12
The Herminator

Great report guys...thanks a lot!
The Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #13
cousinlll

Hey Hookup Guys - outstanding report thanks for the post & great information!!

So my night fishing questions to you guys are: With the water levels low at this time of year, what depths should I be looking for Stripers to be hanging out in? And of course the million dollar question, without giving away too much of your trade secrets, what areas seem to be producing bigger fish these days?

I've been fishing Friday nights a lot recently but stuck in a rut by only fishing Coles (a lot of rats) & SBM (better but..).

LLL

Da Bears....
cousinlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #14
flipstick

Striper Fishing

If you really want to know the truth, Jeff & I went out and watched them catch like 50 or 60. I caught a bunch and as usual Jeff sucked and only caught 2.

Flipstick
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #15
cp870

Thanks for the tips, I'll use that knowledge tomorrow morning.
cp870 is offline   Reply With Quote