Arizona Bass Zone

December 12th, 2019     05:02 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Saved Threads > AZBZ Hall of Fame Posts

Old August 14th, 2003, 05:34 PM   #1
jasonR
Captain McSh*tty

Getting the hook out of the gut

I read the article that was posted here a while back, but still cant figure it out...reaching up thru the gills? I just couldnt do it. Any of you done this yet? Last time I admitted I gut hooked one, someone blasted me, so Im not admitting anything this time, but it was only one!
Thanks
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #2
d a

I've done it. Using just a couple of fingers, reach under the last gill plate and the body, not between the plates. The gills are much sturdier than they look.
Old August 15th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #3

Jason. its like Da said.

On a fish that you cant reach into the mouth to get the hook out you can go through the gill plate with your fingers.

I have a extra long set of needle nose pliers on the boat and can get most any gut hook out with(the ones I have gut hooked).

One way I do it is if the hook point is inside the Hole( I dont know what to call it) and its not all the way through to where I can see the barb I will gently feed the hook through so I can see the barb.
Then I have 2 things I can do cut the line off the hook and feed it through backwards(pulling the barb end out first) or cut the barb side or eyelett off the hook with a pair of dikes through the gill plate, then pull the hook through.

I try not to pull a barb back through the fish cause it will tear the insides up. and pushing the point and barb (point end first)through the fish will not tear but just make a puncture wound( in my opinion easier to heal than a tear)

One thing if you nick or damage a gill and it starts bleeding I thing the fish is going to end up dead, so you have to be real carefull around the gills.

Ive used it on a few of my fish and a few of some friends fish.

Delw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2003, 12:38 AM   #4

I have done what I believe Del does, cut the barb off with a pair of side snips (Klein) and all is good in the bass hood. I like to use the Klein crimper pliers because they have a long reach to them. Later...

Old August 15th, 2003, 09:24 AM   #5
splitshot

I use a long pair of wire dikes,made by snap-on.I too cut the point and barb off,the fish will will do the rest.I have even just cut the eye off and found the rest of the hook in the bottom of the live well two hour later.