Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Opinions on Boat

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  varnco 
#1 ·
So, I'm still looking for a used boat

As this would be my first boat, I think I"m going to stick with a smaller Aluminum boat. Mainly go out with my buddy, but occasionally take along a kid or two. Don't plan tournaments, just to go unwind on the weekends.

Type of fishing: Bass, Cat, Crappie, Striper.
Lakes: Phoenix area lakes only (Pleasant, Saquaro, Bartlett, etc.)

So, I'm considering the following, that have a console:

Tracker V16 deep V, with 40 - 60HP
Tracker 175 Bass, with40=60HP
Lund Fishing 16ft, with 40-60HP
Alumacraft 16.5

Where am I going wrong? What should I consider?

Thanks all!

#2 ·
What's your price range? You can find good used fiberglass boats for the price of newer aluminum. Check bassboatcentral.com also adhunter to search craigslist. For lake unpleasant I'd want a deeper v with all the boat traffic and major wakes you encounter if going out at all during the day. A longer boat will help the ride and give more room for passengers. It seems many looking for a first boat tend to start with aluminum then realize a year later they'd rather be in a fiberglass. Definitely ride before you buy. There are boating courses to get you familiar with how to operate a boat and the rules on the water. Looking for a new boat is fun however make sure you get the seller to have a compression test and rpm print out on the motor and you do a complete hull inspection. Good luck with your search!

#3 ·
Price range is up to $6K

Found this one on Craigslist... thoughts? Motor seems a bit under powered, but it's only a 16' boat.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/6144450873.html

Also, what are common "words" that are warnings when someone is selling a boat. I know if the lower unit has been replaced/repaired, they likely hit something and could have bent the shaft that will show up later.

For cars...
I don't buy anything that has "recently been rebuilt", as I don't trust that the rebuild will last, else they'd keep it.

I don't buy anything where the person has owned it for less than 1 year, much less if only a few months or "got it in trade".

Recent paint job is a warning too, for me.

At least that's how I look at buying used cars. Is there something specific that folks who are trying to dump a problem say in their ads?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I'm sure there are more zoners out there to give their opinion to help in your decision than me but here again is my two cents worth 1) find out the max h p rating on the boat-most of the time you always want the engine to be the biggest allowed on that boat 2) engine compression and rpm test on motor- stay away from straight two cycle engines unless used often,they are hard to keep running, DFI, EFI or four stroke are best 3) take the boat out to the lake for a test drive-for aluminum look for leaks these can be quite bad around riveted models, 4) how has the boat been stored and taken care of are there seat and carpet rips and does it have a cover, 5) how old are the batteries and tires 6) when was the trailer hubs last serviced. 7) go to nadaguide for boats and price it out and compare it to other models that same age on boattrader.com.
I don't like any rebuilt motors either.
Check this ride out a little over budget but a great fishing and family boat, https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/6123018911.html

#5 ·
4 stroke is better than a 2 stroke?? Only time will tell if a 4 stroke can last 20-25 years without any major problem like a 2 stroke. Plenty of old 80's flat back OMC's still pushing boats today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.