Garrettt

I use tubes on a 7'6 cumura spinning, 15lb samurai braid, 8lb flouro leader

Getsome..
Garrettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #17
StickBait

shit, I throw tubes on 6lb as long as there isn't brush(but I only put 6 & 8 on my spinning)... It has long been considered a finess technique. Now with that said, I will flip them on a heavy BC outfit when the fish don't want a big jig or brush hog.
StickBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #18
northeastbasser

Hmmm, now I am not sure what to do. All the reels that I fish with are bait casters. The reels that I have for my wife and my guests are all spinning.

Watching various fishing shows, when they do their tubing, they always seem to use spinning equipment. As I had planned on doing more tubing, I thought that I would get a quality spinning rig. Most of where I will be doing the tubing will be clear rocky drop offs.

Here is a review of the Patriarch http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpflu...chspinpg4.html

Doing more reading, there are those on both sides of the fence between Pfluegers and Stradic's, but I will try both at Bass Pro tomorrow for feel.
northeastbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #19
Joey

I dont think bass pros carry the pflueger.

If you are fishing clear open water, I would be fishing lighter line than 12 pound test on my tubes. Like the last two people said. 6 and 8 pound test.
Old November 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #20
HitACraw

Location: Where opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettt View Post
I use tubes on a 7'6 cumura spinning, 15lb samurai braid, 8lb flouro leader
Let me tell you bro I'm rocking a G-Lo NRX 822S DSR with a Diawa Certate 2000 using Toray Bawo 10lb braid + 5lb Toray Bawo fluoro 6' leader and let me tell you bro I've caught like 4 fish in the past 2mo with it, it's been amazing. Worth every penny.
HitACraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #21
HitACraw

Location: Where opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I looked, didn't find anything, however, carbon/carbon composites do not compare to CI4 anyways. CI4 is cheaper and weaker. However, in a strength to weight comparison, it should still compare favorably to metals. If Pflueger used a plastic or carbon plastic gear, they would have saved even more weight over the CI4 Stradic

As a gear material... Definitely an advantage to have metal gears over composite gears. Durability and a more connected feel in the reel.

Composites have a lower toughness in comparison to metals. The metal should also have higher strength in this application.

With that said, the CI4 material should hold up but the metal gears are better.

(I am not a composites expert)
FYI I do believe metal can be worked to tighter dimensional constraints than composites, thus a smoother operation vs. composites. Composites are difficult to work with but provide the weight reduction. Metals can be milled to tighter constraints but add weight. This is the leading cause for critics of the composite frame, as under load it is more suseptable to gear strain due to flexing.

Now you know why salt water reels are round and made of metals, that much stress would smoke the gears/drag if they used anything else.
HitACraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #22
Franklin J

AZ Game & Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitACraw View Post
Let me tell you bro I'm rocking a G-Lo NRX 822S DSR with a Diawa Certate 2000 using Toray Bawo 10lb braid + 5lb Toray Bawo fluoro 6' leader and let me tell you bro I've caught like 4 fish in the past 2mo with it, it's been amazing. Worth every penny.
Lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Franklin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #23
Joey

HAHA thats hilarious

I didn't even think about the dimensions when dealing with composites. Good point.
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #24
northeastbasser

Bass Pro did carry Pfluegers and the Patriarch was the favorite of the salesman behind the counter.

Before I tell you what I bought and why, I felt the Patriarch, CI4 and the Stradic's FJ were all good reels.

After the salesman had said good things about the Pflueger, I was leaning towards it, but I tried all three. I ended up buying the CI4.

I bought it because of a personal choice of ergonomics. I found the patriarch's handle came out at a strange angle, and I had to kink my wrist to crank it. The Shimano came out from the reel at such an angle that my wrists were at a straight angle with my arm and it was much more comfortable to crank.

Just a personal preference. Thanks for the suggestions.

One interesting thing I did not know when I was trying them out. The person behind the counter said that the proper way to flip back over the bail to start winding, is to flip it over with your hand and not by turning the handle. He said it was much better on the reel to flip it back with your hand.
northeastbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #25
Joey

Yep. It also helps prevent line tangles and messes.
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #26
Wabassfisher

Quote:
Yep. It also helps prevent line tangles and messes.
Someone told me that once too... So I started flipping it with my hand, but I didn't have a problem before... Oh well, if it saves the reel some life, I'll do it
Wabassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #27
Garrettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitACraw View Post

wow gj guy guy

Getsome..
Garrettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #28
Dr.6

Quote:
In the 100 to 200 dollar range this reel is by far the best choice.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflue...page-PSRR.html

If you don't care about the weight of the reel, just go with a Saros or Symetre
Shitty drag!
Dr.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #29
onthefly

To bad your a Shimano guy, The Team Daiwa's are IMO a better reel (spinning) and for high end I'll take a Steeze 2508 over any reel on the market

Last edited by onthefly; November 15th, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
onthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #30
AndyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefly View Post
To bad your a Shimano guy, The Team Daiwa's are IMO a better reel (spinning) and for high end I'll take a Steeze 2508 over any reel on the market
Really??? I thought the Steez was a nice reel, but on a 6' light action GLX, a Stella 1000 is a perfect fit. I am pretty sure I've never felt a smoother drag. Never handled a Van Staal saltwater reel, but if they are as advertised, MAYBE they would be smoother. I just wish that Shimano made a 2000 series reel.