Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Any math teachers out there... I need help with math word problem

7K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  pond master 
#1 ·
I understand that this is not directly a fishing issue...I just know that there are a lot of fishermen that are teachers and hopeful someone can help us out.

We are trying to figure out a college math question for the past 3 days now. We do have the final answer...that was the easy part..about 5 minutes...but we need to put in into an equation for x to show the work...that is the HARD part....so confusing.

here is the math word problem

A coin collection contains nickles, dimes, and quarters. There are twice as many dimes as quarters and seven more nickels than dimes. The total value of all of the coins is $3.10. How many quarters are in the collection?

GOOD LUCK
Thank you in advance
Lynne Peterson
National Bass West

Oh and btw...we do have a Vail Lake event coming up on September 12, 2009. It is OPEN to the public with NO MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED. The first place is guaranteed to payout $5,000 and second place will payout 2 year memberships to Vail Lake a $3,400-$4,200 value. NO MATTER HOW MANY TEAMS FISH!!!!! Third place and down will payout 1-5 based on participation. This is a day event. If you are not a member of VAIL LAKE you can pre-fish the day prior for $50 if you are pre-signed.
OH and Guy is going to bbq for everyone....Thank you GUY!
See you there.

See less See more
#5 ·
X + XSquared + (7 + X squared)= 3.10

Thats the actual way that the problem reads. Its been a long time. But you are going to factor out the squares and get the square root of 3.10 then divide by the X's that are left and that should give you your answer. Man its been a long time. Look at your factoring out rules in the book. I'm close

Jkole did it but not sure how he got 17 without showing the work.

I would think that X = number of quarters.

Good luck!

#6 ·
X + XSquared + (7 + X squared)= 3.10

Thats the actual way that the problem reads. Its been a long time. But you are going to factor out the squares and get the square root of 3.10 then divide by the X's that are left and that should give you your answer. Man its been a long time. Look at your factoring out rules in the book. I'm close

Jkole did it but not sure how he got 17 without showing the work.

I would think that X = number of quarters.

Good luck!
Just like a math teacher...lol

I did it in my head, then went backwards

You are on the right track, that 7 throws me...

#8 ·
What jkole said.

D = 2Q OR Q = D/2 = .5D twice as many dimes as quarters
N = D + 7 seven more nickels than dimes

.25Q + .1D + .05N = 3.10 total value of all of the coins is $3.10
.25(.5D) + .1D + .05(D + 7) = 3.10
.125D + .1D +.05D +.35 = 3.10
.275D = 2.75

D = 10 Dimes
Q = 5 quarters
N = 17 Nickels

10*.1 + 5*.25 + 17*.05 = 3.10

#9 ·
My daughter just said THANK YOU...THANK YOU....THANK YOU!!!! Now she will be able to sleep tonight without thinking about nickels, dimes and quarters!

She just joked that maybe I should put her homework on the forum!!!

The equation that she ended with is

.25x + .10 (2x) + .o5 (2x + 7) = $3.10

You guys rock.

Lynne

#11 ·
Q = number of quarters
N = number of nickels
D = number of dimes

Working equation is

0.25Q + 0.05N + 0.10D = 3.10

N = D + 7

D = 2Q

Substituting appropriate relationships,

0.25Q + 0.05(D + 7) + (0.10) 2Q = 3.10

0.25Q + 0.05(2Q + 7) + 0.20Q = 3.10

0.25Q + 0.10Q + 0.35 + 0.20Q = 3.10

Combining terms,

0.55Q = 3.10 - 0.35

0.55Q = 2.75

Q = 5

CHECK:

D = 2Q = 2(5) = 10

N = D + 7 = 10 + 7 = 17

0.25(5) + 0.10(10) + 0.05(17) = 1.25 + 1.00 + 0.85 = 3.10

Hope this helps.

#14 ·

#19 ·
THAT IS RIGHT I SCREWED UP AND SQUARED THEM. THAT WILL MAKE IT EVEN EASIER TO COMPLETE. THAT WAS FUN.
That is half the fun, remembering how do apply those lessons. The 4 rules of algebra. We can have Del put a new forum on here, math brain teasers. My nephew was in the 8th grade and all last year I was pounding out some very strange problems.

#21 ·
Would be nice to show the pic of the NECK down.......

#22 ·
hey zxc...not spaming just going crazy trying to help our daughter with her college algebra. Having completed algebra over 30 years ago...that problem just didn't seem to work as well as the ones prior to it.

Having an event this coming weekend I thought that I would take care of that post at the same time and pleading for help.

Thanks a ton to all who helped us out. Seems like everyone enjoyed the math brain tease.

Lynne

#24 ·
On those questions that are hard answer, just google the exact problem for a search and you will be surprised to find that problem solved already. It took me about three minutes to find it on the web.

I have a 6th grader in the house and they are doing those exact same problems right now. I couldn't find his stink'n math book, so I did a search!

I now have to search on how to use my new smoker properly!

#26 ·
I've got a bunch of those website bookmarked from last years experience. The teacher was having the students (and parents) think outside the box and apply some creative thinking and logic.

You can find some of the answers through Google or Yahoo. I think the teacher caught on that the students were all getting the problems right so she pulled out her special books had not made it to the WWW yet. The search engine Math Brain Teasers and select which level you are interested in such as high school can show how to work out the problems.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...igh+school&aq=2&oq=Math+Brain+Teasers&aqi=g10

Here are a few more pages:

http://www.american-webmasterz.com/games/ Try the Cryptograms, Math squares is fun too.

http://www.insectphotos.net/tools/mathsquares/index.htm This one is great until I ran into a problem that did not work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.