Lake Powell 6/07-11 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

January 18th, 2021     09:51 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Reports > Lake Reports

Old June 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Darrin

Lake Powell 6/07-11

I went up with the venture Scouts and one other adult from my church to Lake Powell Tuesday morning June 7. We arrived at Waweap about 1 PM and ran up river to our campsite that was kindly picked out for us by Sam Sherwood in dry rock Creek. We set up camp and started trolling in some of the areas that were good for Sam last week and found out that the fish had mostly moved.

Our best areas throughout the week were the less steep Banks that had rocks and brush on them; although not all of them were good. We caught a ton of smallmouth, quite a few stripers, and averaged 4 to 6 walleye per day.
Biggest stripers were 4 to 4 1/2 pounds, biggest walleyes were pushing 4 pounds, biggest smallmouth was around 3 pounds.

Water temperatures varied from 76 to 82.
We fished dry rock Creek, Middlerock creek, rock Creek, dungeon canyon, and several of the banks across from dungeon canyon.
Our very best spots were one particular Cove in dry rock Creek where we had a quadruple hook up and usually caught 3-5 fish every time we trolled that 300 yard section of bank and one bank just a little east of the San Juan river on the north side of the lake that we tried on our way back from visiting Hole in the rock.
I did not count fish on this trip at all but the boys caught so many fish they were not interested in skiing or tubing much.

Our very best lures were Rapala fat raps in fire tiger or perch color
Trolled over 10 to 18 feet of water.
I fished the ned rig a little bit, and nearly caught a smallmouth on every cast. I also caught a 4 pound striper on it. We also saw a few slurps and caught a few fish out of them, but they were very spooky and quick to go down.

We only had a couple of bad things happen to us on the trip. The worst one was on Wednesday I completely lost my faith in humanity when I went into dangling rope marina and found out they had run out of ice cream but they did have it on Thursday and Friday

Another was when I had to clean out monofilament from my prop after the boys got it tangled in the prop three different times

I only ended up with one hook completely through one young man's finger due to an unruly walleye which we promptly cut the barb out , pulled the hook out, put a Band-Aid with some Neosporin on it, and put him right back to fishing.

The lake level rose about 3 feet while we were there.

Because the boys were so into fishing, I actually did not get to fish much myself. But I had a lot of fun watching them have fun if that makes any sense :-)
I will add a few pictures to this post when I get a chance.
Thanks, Darrin
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Roosevelt Mark

Sounds awesome, nice job.
Roosevelt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #3
YELOSUB

That is an awesome report, thank you for sharing...Sounds like the kids had a great time and good for you for letting them experience it...
DATE: 01/07/15 @ 8:50AM
LAKE: CANYON
LURE: SWIMBAIT
NET BITCH: JUSTIN
YELOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Charlie

HA a man has to have his ice cream
Old June 14th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #5
StickBass

wow, thats some good fishing
StickBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #6
sam sherwood

Thumbs up Powell + Scouts = Success

I'm glad to hear that spot worked out, it was pretty popular week before last. Maybe all those unruly carp in the back there ran everything else off along with the rising water. It sounds like plenty of fish were caught however without a far run to our previous happy hunting ground up the SJ.
I'm almost tempted to make another run up there but I'm trying to OD on 55 degree air in Seattle currently and knowing I'd die with the killer heat about ready to arrive up there, I think I'll sit tight till the monsoon and/or the big boils show up to minimize the heat stroke.

Congrats on a great time for those young men!
sam sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #7
dirtdog

My wife and i were up there the same time frame . first afternoon trolled dt 10 and picked up several stripes and few smallies and walleyes around wetherhill. next day graphed bunch stripes in freindship dropped some covies and it was game on over 100 smallest around was around 18" . wife was catching them faster than i could drop a line.
dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #8
sam sherwood

Smile Dirty Dog Bonanza

Ya know Brett, the Phx 920 has a sweet option I installed just for you and Marty. It's called auto retrieve/dispose and it would allow you to keep up with your wife and Marty to almost keep up with you! 😀 Don't know about Darrin but lucky for me I had stink adverse scouts like me and they wanted nothing to do with the choives and I would've waved the white flag almost immediately on a bite like that. I'd had hooks stuck in everybody without Darrin's medic expertise! 🙃
sam sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #9
catchandrelease

Very awesome for you to take the time and take the scouts out , they will never forget it.
I remember every trip from when I was a scout. Great job.
catchandrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 04:18 AM   #10
midge master g

That is a great trip. Glad the boys had a fantastic time catching fish.
midge master g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #11
HOLE IN THE WATER

GREAT TRIP REPORT AND CATCHING.
DAVE
HOLE IN THE WATER is offline   Reply With Quote