2017 Phoenix 921 Pro - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

December 13th, 2019     05:31 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Chat > Fishing Chat

Old September 25th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #1
Stratos55

Angry 2017 Phoenix 921 Pro

Bought a brand new 2017 Phoenix 921 Pro with Mercy 250 from Catalina Marina. Loaded it, took off with the wife to Roosevelt lake. Stopped to fill up with gas. Inserted the nozzle and gas backslashes everywhere. Tried multiple positions with the nozzle and nothing worked. The boat won't take gas. Talked to Phil at Catalina - he recommended using a 2X4 to prop up the side of the boat. Really? This is a brand new $60K+ boat.

Took it home and pulled off the covers to look at the fuel lines. The fuel hose drops a good 3 inches from the fill cap and then goes back UP to the fuel tank. The fuel gets stuck because of Gravity. Call Tim at Phoenix. He said they had a problem like this and this was a newly designed model. Well, it still doesn't work.

Gently poured gas in and after 30 minutes, had a tank full.

Packed up the boat and truck and took off to
Roosevelt Lake for the weekend. Get there and the boat will not go above 1900 rpm. It can't even break plane.

This is what you get for $65K. Don't recommend a Phoenix if you want to catch fish.
Stratos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #2
ringer

Try turning the gas nozzle upside down and don't stick it all the way in and see if it works. I had a Skeeter that was a PITA to fill. Might be the vent on the tank. Take it back and tell them to fix it.

Have them give you a different prop or play with vent plugs. My Champ would never get on plane with a Tempest 26 until I pulled two vent plugs out. They should run every new boat before you pick it up for that money. Good luck.
ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 07:09 AM   #3
ringer

For that price you must have a hydraulic jackplate. Did you try lifting it an inch and see if the motor spins up?
ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Justin

A lot of times with brand new boats that have never had fuel in them you have to fill them extremely slow. Once it has had gas in it the boat will fuel up much easier.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 12:51 PM   #5
sam sherwood

Phoenix problems

I sure dislike it when I spend any money for something and it doesn't work, let alone a big wad like you have since there is a lot of excitement to go have a great experience immediately but here are a few questions/observations that come to my mind from your post.

Federally mandated rules on gas tanks from a few years back have made it tougher on all manufactures to still make a tank that fits and works well with the same capacity as advertised. Not an excuse for poor installation procedures though but I hear many new boats having initial gas fill spit back problems.

The motor not running above 1900 rpm sounds like a Merc motor problem if you truly could not get it to ever do more than that. Almost sounds like it's gone into 'guardian mode' for some reason. Now if you really mean that you got to 1900 without too much of a problem but it then took much longer to get on plane... sounds like you have the motor set too high, to much pitch on your prop, or possibly that you have a prop with vent plugs that haven't been removed or a combination of all the above??? While there was a comment that the manufacture/dealer should go run the boat to know all this up front, other than running the motor and checking it to make sure it idles, revs up, etc to spec, it is impractical and a liability issue for them to take the boat to the lake (without the owner at least) to do this and then for them to guess what the owner is looking for; top speed, hole shot, ??? Most every manufacture has a website or phone number to call and get motor height and prop model/pitch recommendations for best general usage. I know that Phoenix has this as well. Have you inquired of them or your dealer to make sure you have a good starting point to be fairly happy to start with? A few questions up front will always help to have a more impressive experience to start with and as consumers, I think we share at least some of the burden to do our homework in this regards. Taking things a step beyond this to fine tune the dynamics for optimal performance is part of the enjoyment for many of us. I think there are plenty of Phoenix owners around that you can contact to help get you where you need to be if you'll ask your dealer for that info.
I'd love to see you post your positive results and impressions once you get it figured out. I think it will be easier than you think to get you 95% there and I think you're going to re-think your comment about not recommending that brand to be able to catch fish out of...but I am a bit prejudiced!
sam sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Ranger

Look here for answer to your Phoenix boat questions. You will find a pretty loyal group of owners. My next boat will probably be a Phoenix.
http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 09:05 PM   #7
Scott S.

cheap ass tanks, they need to ditch the plastic shit and call IMCO. The tank mandates are the same as an automobile, some manufactures put the valve on the tank and the cheap ass ones try to jam the valve down the fill hose. and then there is the charcoal canister, same as an auto, they don't want the vapors going into the air like the old style vent.
The new plastic tanks are a bit thicker than the old one's they replaced, they don't permeate like the thinner tanks and are supposed to be as good as an aluminum tank in that regards, they might be a 1/2 a gallon less in capacity, it's not off by gallons.

Those guys at germann said they couldn't give those boats away. I've seen one up here in payson.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pro-Tech mat Distributor..
Sparta Carpet 20 oz plush 24 oz Ultra Plush , Distributor, Installer
Marine Vinyl flooring, 2 weights, 20 colors.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 08:47 PM   #8
sam sherwood

Phoenix

I don't think you're going to find a plastic tank in a Phoenix but you'll have some people that say an aluminum tank is worse than plastic.

I'm not sure that any bass boat brand or local tournament interest in AZ has had a comeback to the 'good 'ol days' level from 15+ years ago as the new boat prices are fairly steep and the average Joe wants to put his hard earned dollars into other things but Phoenix bass boat sales continues to outpace their facilities in TN and while not all that well known out west, are very popular in the SE part of the country and have a very good reputation. It would appear that the Phoenix boat line and Germaine Marine may not have been a good fit for each other.
sam sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:28 PM   #9
Scott S.

I've built custom boats, hand lay, the right way. I would only use an aluminum tank, plastic roto cast are junk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pro-Tech mat Distributor..
Sparta Carpet 20 oz plush 24 oz Ultra Plush , Distributor, Installer
Marine Vinyl flooring, 2 weights, 20 colors.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #10
Hooked up

I can say after 30 years of owning other brands including Ranger and Stratos. My 919 is by far my favorite boat. As far as Germaine Marine couldn't give them away, I think a ski boat dealer may not push a bass boat and I know guys who walked out because of no customer service when wanting to look at a Phoenix. I bought mine at Catalina and those guys bent over backwards to get me into my boat at a fair price. I would say contact the dealer before you get on a sight and vent without giving them a chance to work with you and my boat cant catch a fish but I sure can.
Hooked up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #11
ckremer

I love my Phoenix 819, granted didnt buy it from Catalina, but other than some debris in a aerator pump from the factory, I havent had any issues. Its an awesome boat, they are built well, more fun to drive and out handle my Rangers from the past. I will be selling mine to go to a bigger Phoenix soon.
ckremer is offline   Reply With Quote