Arizona Bass Zone

December 11th, 2019     10:43 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Saved Threads > AZBZ Hall of Fame Posts

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #1
d a

Sonar Snapshot: Dropshotting 101

Maybe not THE Dropshotting 101 but at least "How I Drop-Shot"

I had a pretty good day fishing on Bartlett yesterday. Caught some on drop-shot and I was able to capture the output of my LCX-16CI while drop shotting. As I did before, I transferred the images from my fish finder to my computer and I made a picture out of it that can be viewed on the web. Actually its a big picture, too big to insert in a post. To get the best view of the picture, make sure your browser window is expanded to full screen. Get your Bookmarks or Favorites windows out of the way too so the text I added to the picture doesn't look funny.

The image took about 2 and a half to 3 minutes to record. Time moves from left to right. The part of the picture on the far right was recorded as much as 3 minutes after the image on the far left. Think of the image as a paper graph output or the output from your printer. The image is printed one line of pixels at a time and then the paper advances. This goes on until the whole page is printed. That's similar to what my graph did to produce the image.

I added some narrative text to explain what your seeing and what I was doing. Hope you like it.

Click here to view Dropshotting 101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #2
nightcrawler

Wow! Denny, that's great! Amazing play by play too! Keep it up, for us newbies/rookies, it's great info on how you're moving your rod and such. Thanks Denny!

Wonder if I can fanagle one of those LCX-18CI's and the software for my bday.
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #3
champ,204

wow. thats way cool denny. thanks for sharing that.
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #4
MRBASS

WOW!!! Thats cool da -
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #5
Peg-it

I've got to get me one of those. What lake was that at?

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #6
Peg-it

Sorry, I just saw Bartlett. Thanks

Old January 14th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #7
Joe C

Very intresting da keep it up.
I found your post on 320 settings and went to there website and tryed it on there simulator. Its much better than the setup i was using. This may be a silly ? but with the chart speed up so high I tend to sit in one spot quite awhile were does the graph get the readings from. Does the graph keep going over the same spot under the boat?
Thanks d a

Joe C

08 198VX Ranger Comanche w/200 Opti -- FINALLY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #8
d a

Joe, its not a silly question. Many people can't connect what's going on below the boat with what's displayed on the screen.

My boat is not moving in the above drop-shotting picture. The only things moving are the drop-shot bait and the fish that swim by. The graph simply displays whats below the boat, time after time after time. If the boat is not moving, it will show the same spot under the boat for as long as you're there.

Imagine a graph with a 20 inch wide screen and you let the screen scroll across for a minute or two. Then take a photo of the screen with a camera.. That would be like my picture above. If your boat wasn't moving the depth to the bottom wouldn't have changed so the bottom will appear flat on the graph screen.

Its hard to explain, but I hope this helps.
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #9
Lone Ranger

Denny, that's so cool. Thanks for taking the time to make the post. It was very interesting and entertaining. Also glad to hear you had a good fishing day yesterday on Bartlett.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #10
Joe C

Thanks d a that helps alot.

Joe C

08 198VX Ranger Comanche w/200 Opti -- FINALLY
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #11
Delw

Da. Nice job

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

@#muskielivesmatter
@#bullsharklivesmattermore
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #12
SteveM

Very Nice Denny. Glad some good time on the lake in spite of what you saaw at the ramp. Keep up the great posts. They are truely helpful.

SteveM
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #13
Bullet Head

Denny, If I known that you were going to put on a Steven Spillburg type production on, I wouldn't have stayed on the phone so long with you today. Keep up the great work. I expect to see another episode from tomorrow's research. Mitch
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #14
jasonR
Captain McSh*tty

D A,
Youre on top of the electronics game. Good job! What unit is this again? Also, how do bass suspended a littl e off the bottom appear? Just a red blur? Since this thing is so detailed, how do you tell if they are bass? Sorry so many questions!
Jason
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #15
d a

Thanks all, glad you liked it.

Bullet Head: No additional graph pics from Bartlett today. But we caught fish.

Jason R: Its a Lowrance LCX-16CI. They don't make them anymore but the equivalent new model is the LCX-19C.. A bass suspended a little of the bottom will be a red line a little above the yellow bottom. How can I tell if they are bass? Once I get 'em in the boat its easy! Seriously, I can tell somewhat by how the fish chases the spoon. But a single fish on the bottom? I don't know if its bass, catfish or carp. If I catch one then I can assume its another bass, but I still don't know for sure.