Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Johnson 150 OB problem HELP!

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Lucy 
#1 ·
I have the above motor and when I open it up [full speed] it runs like a champ for about 10 seconds and then dies, it idles well and runs well at half speed. New carb, fuel filter, lifter tube, and tune up. This is a constant problem through a tank and a half of fuel. Any advice? 2 local shops could not solve it, You guys are my last hope. otherwise I will trade it off for a 60 to 75 hp motor, I'm used to that speed.

#3 ·
simple fix, go check your pick up tube and your vent line in your fuel tank.
Mine did that for a while. took Kurt and I 3 months to figure out what it was. ended up being a cracked pick up tube in the fuel tank. if it wasnt full topped off it would run a few mins than die.

#5 ·
Admittedly, I'm not engine mechanics inclined but I had a similar problem on a Johnson 175 at one time. After a lot of headaches it turned out to be faulty spark plugs. Hopefully, the ones on your tune up are good and it's something else but it may be worth a try.

#6 ·
Sounds like exactly what I have been experiencing with my Merc Optimax 70 hsp. It happened a couple of years ago and I had a crack in my gas pump bulb. Happening again and I can't find it.
To windy to go out this week end so I guess I will be trying to check the line into the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.