Hawley Lake 5/27 - 5/30 - AZBZ Forums

Arizona Bass Zone

July 4th, 2020     02:21 AM   

Home Forums List of Advertisers Tourny Schedule
Go Back   AZBZ Forums > Fishing Reports > Lake Reports

Old May 20th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #1
PLTYBX

Hawley Lake 5/27 - 5/30

I was thinking of joining a group of friends to go camping up at Hawley Lake. I know it's mostly trout fishing (which is good) but I was wondering if anyone has camped and fished up there? Any thoughts on what to use for fishing? What are the campgrounds like? I heard the cabins are horrible but I'll be in a tent so I'm too worried. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
PLTYBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
DesertBilly

Mostly trout I thought tjats all hawley jad besides crawfish as far as camping goes I know theres a campground on the dam side I drive by it every year and it looks pretty decent
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #3
rokbb

Fishing was never that good for me, power bait off the bank, cow bells in a boat. Boat rental was 40 1/2 day and 60 all day. ( 3 years ago) As for the cabins they are ok. Bring extra light bulbs, seems some are always burnt out but for the most part they are not bad.
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Williek9

Hawley

The tribe "manages" (or is responsible for) Hawley. They do a SHITTY job at best...The campgrounds are a mess...The Port a Jons are always too full to use..They suck at caring for the place (and everything else they are given)...Expect lots of cows to come through your site ALL NIGHT! This was the case last year when I took my boy camping there....Have Fun!!!!! Hope it's better than my experience there...I stick to National Forest spots...
Williek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
SaltyScott

Res

Dont know why anyone would want to camp anywhere on the WM Apache Res. The whole res is a Shithole.
SaltyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Analogkid

you guys must not be camping at the right lakes.....never had a problem and camping has always been nice...been going there for 20 years and prefer the rez to any of the rim lake opportunities. Plus the trout fishing is better ten fold there with exception to big lake and Chevelon

Last edited by Analogkid; May 21st, 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Analogkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Jeff W

I am with AK. I love the white mountains. Camped at Hawley in the fall and it wasn't to bad. The cows do come into camp allot and the shitters suck but i heard the fishing was good right now for stockers. Try super dupers, z rays, and castmasters. Had a friend there last week and he caught over 50 a day with a mixture of browns and rainbows but nothing big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SNAPPED ONE OFF 06 Procraft 210 Super Pro 225 Pro XS
Jeff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:20 PM   #8
t175

Lots of 10''-12' bows there.Actually cuaght a fair amount of browns 2 weeks ago at Hawley.They were all about the size of the bows.
t175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM   #9
Analogkid

the rez has the best trout fishing, on any given day during the right time of day you can catch a trophy fish. I do believe they mis manage there fishery and need to get there chit together but if i was going to try and catch a big brown i would go to one of the lake on the rez. If you get away from hawley lake you might be surprised what you can catch....little bear, big bear, and hawley are like the woods canyon of the rez
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #10
catch'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyScott View Post
Dont know why anyone would want to camp anywhere on the WM Apache Res. The whole res is a Shithole.
Yeh it sucks there, I would never ever go there.
catch'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:24 PM   #11
catch'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williek9 View Post
The tribe "manages" (or is responsible for) Hawley. They do a SHITTY job at best...The campgrounds are a mess...The Port a Jons are always too full to use..They suck at caring for the place (and everything else they are given)...Expect lots of cows to come through your site ALL NIGHT! This was the case last year when I took my boy camping there....Have Fun!!!!! Hope it's better than my experience there...I stick to National Forest spots...
+1
catch'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM   #12
RickMan

Go up a little further up the road to Big Lake. A lot cleaner and the fishing was great this past Friday.

But remember, Memorial Day weekend....everybody will be up there especially when it's 105 degrees down here.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:30 AM   #13
bigolbas

the res sucks
bigolbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:41 AM   #14
PLTYBX

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll see if I can talk the group into going somewhere else.

-Tight Lines!
PLTYBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM   #15
betchips

Stream fishing on the reservation is where its at. I've caught 20+ inch Browns in secret spots on Apache reservation steams.3-5 pound browns
betchips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, hawley, trout