Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

May 31-June 2 2016 Lake Powell fishing report

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  sam sherwood 
#1 ·
Fish and Scouts Go Together Down South!

I had a great time at Lake Powell for a few days this week assisting my Venture Scouts get into catching several species of fish every time we went out in the southern lake. Stripers, walleye, LM & SM bass along with catfish were caught aplenty but we just couldn't hook one of those frisky carp, dang it.
While I typically bank on Yamamoto watermelon grubs, the Gulp grub in white was much better by a long ways for all my fishermen along with trolling small Flicker Shad lures and DT 6 & 10's. The latter especially proved effective with the rising water level. I'd keep the boat in 12-15' of water as much as possible but on occasion the stripers would be over 25'. TW did produce a few early but mostly on the small side and while we did get into several packs of 10" stripers feeding on top one evening, they wanted a shallow jerkbait, not TW. The amount of walleye caught were especially surprising! Fish were caught mostly in Gunsight, West, and Middle Rock Creek Canyons.

Two negatives we experienced was a big houseboat sinking during the night just a few slips down from us on Dock B and 2 girls from different groups getting air evaced out from Dangling Rope Marina while we were there for lunch on Thursday. That'll ruin a trip!

(Sorry folks, had a number of pictures to post today and the site will not accept any of them for some reason)

Sam Sherwood
Mesa, AZ

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.