Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be holding our 10th annual GPD Youth Fishing Tournament at Pleasant Harbor Marina, Ramada Area 1-6 on Saturday October 31, 2009 from 6am to noon. Those who have been with us before know how rewarding this event can be.

*Entry is only $10 per kid (Cash if at all possible) and can be waived if it is a financial burden. All proceeds will be given to the family of 14 year old Robert Bartz, who passed away yesterday of leukemia.

*T-shirt, breakfast, lunch, and tackle for every kid. Plus an inflatable to entertain them after weighin and prior to awards.

*Valet launch and retrieval for all volunteer boaters.

*Awards for top finishers in two age groups: 12-15, 11-under.

*Media coverage by the Glendale Star and other state and national media outlets.

*fish with your kids if you have your own boat or be paired with a volunteer boater. 3 fish limit, plus biggest non bass, live bait ok.

Help needed:

We have been at this for ten years. This first year drew 31 kids and the next drew over 100 kids. It is hard to predict the turnout but I need volunteer boaters to take kids out on their boat. Right now, I have only ONE confirmed (Thanks Jim). The event will not work without boaters. Please find it in your heart to come take a kid fishing for a few hours. I will launch and retrieve you from the water. It is a three fish limit any size, plus biggest non bass and live bait is ok. Please contact me by email or phone to confirm you can help out. 602-690-0803 or [email protected]

I want to personally thank the many members of this site that have supported this deal for many years. Lets make this last one special. Ringer, nummie, JWN, Brillhart, JK, Hook Up, Fisherman's Choice, and so many more. I hope to see you back one last time.

Anyone have tackle they want to give to kids, just give me a shout or bring it to the lake. I am going to put out a tackle table of donated tackle for the kids to just help themselves. EVERY kid will leave with tackle, no matter how many kids show up.

If you need a volunteer boater to take you, email or call me to register so I can make sure you ave a boater. If you are fishing from your family's boat you may sign up at the lake.

That all for now. Thanks again for all who have been involved with this event and all the other events we have done over the years. It is you guys and gals that make it possible!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will talk to members of our club Arizona Anglers to see if I can get boater to come and help out. I wrote down you number, I will call some members and see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but do we just drive the kids around and maybe "coach" them? Or do we fish also?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We just want the kids to have fun and catch fish. We support the "hook and pass the rod" technique:) As long as the kids are fishing and having fun, the adults can fish too.

Thanks matt and others that have said they would be there. We got four boats now:) only 30-35 more to go.

·
Banned
4,454 Posts
I will bring my boat if you don't get your numbers, just not confident at Pleasant (would need a little help).

Bump

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I'll be there with my 11 year old- Austin.

Sign me up for vallet service and other extra curricular activities.
I'll work on chips, drinks, and other donations.....RB

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I'd be happy to be a volunteer boater. Since I have no children, I'd love to have another adult aboard to help with the catching. Having not done it, I don't know how it works, but I'll supply a boat and driver for you.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I'd be happy to be a volunteer boater. Since I have no children, I'd love to have another adult aboard to help with the catching. Having not done it, I don't know how it works, but I'll supply a boat and driver for you.
Very cool!

The other adult would be the parent and they would be very appreciative!!!!

Bring a camera, some snacks, and the folks close by will share info where the fish are on that lake.

You have to remember, catching fish is not the #1 priority, kids having fun is.... let them drive the boat in large circles for an hour, let them play with your plastics spread across the deck- the lizzards vs. beavers.

Senkos vs. the Robos has always been a big winner too!

Chasing a jet skier down was a big hit last year!

Set up in the no-wake and give that kid a blow horn on the viloators! priceless!

Good time to teach that kid a few "Boat Cop" water terms... "Window licker!!!"

It's all about having fun, that's all...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts