Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 125hp Force that recently started having problems with the carb. The problem is when the motor is at idle it stalls out but will run fine once in gear. Ran carb cleaner through it and took the cowl off and noticed when at idle the carb is spewing gas from a vent hole. Could it be a stuck float? Has anyone ever had this problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a 1985 125hp Force that recently started having problems with the carb. The problem is when the motor is at idle it stalls out but will run fine once in gear. Ran carb cleaner through it and took the cowl off and noticed when at idle the carb is spewing gas from a vent hole. Could it be a stuck float? Has anyone ever had this problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
mine did it till we ran lucas through,what will stop it is not running it or starting it when tilted up!:lol:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have a 1984 Force. About a month after I bought it, it ran like crap until I got it passed idle. After 3 different mechanics looked at it and couldn't figure it out, I had a guy tell me to change the fuel pump diaphram. Turns out that was the problem. Less than 2 bucks to fix.
The ethanol in the fuel is getting to the rubber of the diaphram. Even if that's not your particular problem, you should change that diaphram about the same time you change your impeller just for good maintainence.
Good luck with your Force. You'll hear a lot of negative about them but I've owned several of them and they have always taken care of me just fine.

·
Registered
957 Posts
mine did it till we ran lucas through,what will stop it is not running it or starting it when tilted up!:lol:
Glad that worked out for you, but I'm not going to go there ...

It could be a sunkfloat, or float stuck open, or bad needle seat.

I have a 1984 Force. About a month after I bought it, it ran like crap until I got it passed idle. After 3 different mechanics looked at it and couldn't figure it out, I had a guy tell me to change the fuel pump diaphram. Turns out that was the problem. Less than 2 bucks to fix.
The ethanol in the fuel is getting to the rubber of the diaphram. Even if that's not your particular problem, you should change that diaphram about the same time you change your impeller just for good maintainence.
Good luck with your Force. You'll hear a lot of negative about them but I've owned several of them and they have always taken care of me just fine.
I think the pump kit is more than $2.00, but it is less than $20 and Basschump makes a very good point.

Due to fuel coming out of a carb vent hole, I think a float issue is a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
G

I think the pump kit is more than $2.00, but it is less than $20 and Basschump makes a very good point.

Due to fuel coming out of a carb vent hole, I think a float issue is a good place to start.
Good point Lower Unit.....
I didn't get the entire rebuild kit. Just the diaphram. It was $1.69 but that was 2 years ago.
I think you're right though. With fuel coming out of the carb, I agree that the float would probably be the place to start. A cracked diaphram would be dumping fuel into the crankcase, not the carb.
If I remember correctly, there is an overflow tube (or whatever it's called) that tie all the carbs together. If the top carb overflows, it flows down to the next carb and when that overflows it goes to the next lower carb.
So even if the carb in question might not have a stuck float, it may be one above it.
Just my 2 cents.
I'm no professional mechanic so listen to Lower Unit. He knows his stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts