Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The controversial agreement that authorized Sheriff Joe Arpaio's deputies to act as federal immigration agents on the streets appears to have ended, Arpaio said late Friday afternoon.

The sheriff said he signed a new agreement Friday that will allow deputies and detention officers to continue screening every inmate booked into Maricopa County jails to determine their immigration status. But he said federal authorities had not offered an agreement to extend Arpaio's street-level immigration enforcement.

"This just includes the jail, and deep down, I feel that I ought to take it and rip it all up," Arpaio said. "On the other hand, I feel it's very critical to have the jail."
Federal officials on Friday refused to comment on the agreement.

The jail-screening effort helped officials catch nearly 30,000 illegal immigrants since the program began in February 2007, but it was the street-level enforcement that caused the most controversy and produced less substantial results, capturing about 264 illegal-immigration suspects

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I dont see a problem in asking. Its freedom of speech. After that its volentary to answer. So the fed gov is tellin him he can say this but not that? Thats unconstatutional right there.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hey BC you nailed that! The scary part is the position she is in. She/He couldn't even keep our border safe much less the whole country.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I think Janet needs to be held personally accountable for enforcing existing immigration laws. Trying and failing is one thing but completely ignoring is entirely different. We, the people, need to step up and force our elected and appointed officials to do their jobs.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
and just how do ya do that ? when they act like thier listening, then close the door and do whatever they want no matter what the public says.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
There may be some law enabling a group to file a lawsuit against them, but probably a massive petition to get them thrown out of office would be the best place to start.

I wonder if an example like this could carry any weight in court: A family member is killed or maimed by an illegal. Evidence is found showing that Janet's policy directly contributed to this person being in the country hence contributing to this person's death/injury???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts