Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,869 Posts
The blocks might be the same, same displacement. But is the reed block the same, that's the trick. On a V6 2.4 150/175 the reed block is vertical. The same block with a rating of 200 ponies has a horizontal reed block. So to make the 150/175 a 200 it will need a 200 front half. The biggest issue with mixing motor fronts is to find one that will work with the block, they don't allways match up. The crank has to spin with out any binding.

20 ponis with just a carb change is a big jump. What year 40 are you working with??

I just went to IBOATs and looked at rebuild kits. The 40 is a 4 cylinder or a 2 cylinder, the 60 is a 3 cylinder, that won't work. Looks like the 50 in a V4 is the same and sounds about right for a carb change.

http://www.iboats.com/Mercury-Power...3704339--session_id.318627606--view_id.271605

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the mechanics that used to work at Tempe Marine, then went to Monster Marine said they used to do them all the time for about $600. I believe he did mention the reed block and the carbs, he said it was a very simple upgrade but pricey due to the parts. My Merc is a 2002 and it is a 3 cylinder. I searched iboats too but didn't come up with anything. Thanks for the input

· Registered
4,869 Posts
search ebay, I bought a 200 intake reed block and carbs for my build. My freeze plug will say it's a 175, but it will be putting out close to 250.I think it was about $75.00, it was cheap. The best motors are the ones in the sport jets. They have the 7 petal intakes/fronts, it gives them a better power band.

· Premium Member
34,659 Posts
I thought the ports were different on those motors? the v6 and the little one mentioned , if its a port deal then you would have to resleeve the block to the proper port size.
I had the same motor and was told in order to change the HP I had to change the ports ( to a true 175hp) cant remember if it was the intake one or exhaust one that was different/

· Registered
178 Posts
Rat,
Very rarely does Mercury give out easy horsepower! Sometimes we share some common components, specifically in the V-6. I did a quick check with no serial numbers but the only 40 and 60 engines that share similar architecture is the 3 cyl starting around
G6----- serial numbers. Unfortunately these two engines do not use the same powerhead replacement numbers. The 40 and 50 do though, so that may be what people are refering to. If they don't have the same replacement powerhead numbers, then they more than likely have different port timing or compression. If you could post your 40 serial number I could check further, I just took a guess. Maybe newer/older ones are different.

· Registered
4,869 Posts
go to WWW.screamandfly.com register and then look up a dude that goes by the name of "T-REX". He's not stupid, he just types a bit odd. I shit you knot, he knows his Mota's. PM him, don't just post it up like you did here. Plenty of jackoff's that know way to much about nothing on that site.

· Registered
178 Posts
Rat,
Just looked up the engine and the 40/50 are the same powerhead but the 60 is a totally different part number. Now I am not saying that there is not something guys do to pump these engines up, but knowing Merc, the ports are different and the carbs would do nothing spectacular in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts