Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there major safety issues if I were to put a 40HP motor in a boat that was rated for a 35HP motor? I am looking for a 25-35 HP Short Shaft Tiller motor for my boat but have found some deals for 40HP motors and I was just wondering.

Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
As far as getting a ticket I beleive your boat will be overated, i don't know what the fine is. I know this, when i worked for a boat dealership here in Tucson if you brought an overpowered rating motor to the shop the guys would refuse to work on it. Now thats with the boat and motor.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I highly doubt you will get any form of citation at all unless you get a full safety check by a Coast Guard or Coast Guard Auxilary officer on Coast Guard regulated waters.

As long as the weight is not too much for the boat, and you never run it at full throttle I can see no major safety issues. If its a bass boat and you plan to tournament fish with it you may be disqualified as many tournament rules would prohibit it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
5hp probably is not enough to worry about. But you will not be compliant, and could be cited if they check. I had a 14ft aluminum when I was about 18, that was rated for 25HP and had a 35HP. I had to add a little extra support to the transom but otherwise the extra 10HP was not enough to make the boat uncontrollable and unsafe. It was a tiller contrlled. Just like an 80mph bass boat that is within the engine ratings, it's all about the driver's ability to control that much HP, to know when to back off the throttle and drive the boat safely.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Probably not. I would think that it wouldn't be a problem as long as you don't get in a accident and injure or kill someone. I would assume you would be liable if it was proven that the craft was over powered. A friend of mine ran a 200hp merc on a 350 Ranger that was rated for 150. The dealer sold it to him that way,even put the 150 decals on it. We had that discusstion a couple times. So it kind of comes down to ethics. Save a few bucks now or take a chance on losing everything later. I would'nt do it. Especially on our crowded ass lakes!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Is it not up to the insurance company upon starting a policy to know the boats max rated HP and know that it's over and deny a policy for that craft? If you lie and wreck someone, you will be liable and they'll drop you in a heart beat no matter what. But if they insured the craft knowing the HP, you'd have to be covered as long as you were honest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts