Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me gentlemen (or ladies, if there are any here), but I am not used to doing much deeper fishing. I have a few technical questions: :?
1. Do you ever work the stick baits and soft jerks deeper? and if you do, how do you weight them?
2. What's a "sammy"?
3. If you are drop-shotting, are you doing it where you mark fish? are there baitfish schools? If you mark the fish at 20' in 30', do you have to go 10' up from the weight, or will they go down to get it?
4. If you're fishing a spinnerbate deep, does it have to be close to or in contact with the bottom?

That's enough for now, I think.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Yes you can fish Senkos and soft jerk baits deeper. Drop shot them. Or rig them weightless on a EWG hook and let them fall in or next to trees or through suspended bass. Senkos are loaded with salt and sink slowly but alot faster than a Super Fluke. No additional weight needed for a Senko. I stick a 3/4 inch piece of nail into the body of a Fluke to get it to fall faster.

A "Sammy" is a Lucky Craft topwater "walk the dog" type bait (similar to a Zara Spook but much more detailed and expensive)

Its not necessary to mark fish when drop-shotting. There are a dozen ways fish can be down there and not show up on the graph. That being said, I do like to see an occasional fish on the graph in the area where I'm drop shotting. In general baitfish schools on the graph are good because there's bass nearby most of the time. They are not necessary though and at times its best to fish away from the baitfish schools. You couldn't cast a d-s rig with the bait 10' up from the weight, or at least I couldn't. You could swim a d-s rig thru or above a suspended school of bass. Cast it out, let it fall a bit and reel it in. Bass are built to feed looking up, but they will follow a d-s rig down to the bottom on the fall. (And visa versa they'll hit it when you're reeling up.)

Slow rolling a spinner bait deep, it is good to be in contact with the bottom as much as possible while keeping the blade turning slowly.

G

·
A sammy is a topwater bait made by Luckycraft...........has excellent "walk the dog action".............Franklin

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
No! Its my fault Franklin! I'm sorry. Really. Next time I'll keep my post shorter so you won't fall asleep in the middle.

:lol:

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I fish structure (humps, points, ditches, channel ledges, etc.) without spending much time looking for baitfish. Sometimes the dropoffs and humps are only in 10' of water and I feel I'd probably spook the fish anyway. I think fish look up and will feed up more than chase something to the bottom. (I know d a would disagree). When I dropshot, the lure is anywhere from about 8 inches to 2' above the weight. I think when you fish a spinnerbait in deep water you should keep it close to the bottom. You've already been told what a Sammy is. I hope this helps. 8)

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
(I know d a would disagree)
What? Me disagree? Am I a curmudgeon? Hell yes bass will feed up more than chase something to the bottom. But I've seen them follow baits to the bottom on a graph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts