Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a Garcia reel, the new ambassadeur d5 b/c. Ive never tried a garcia are the any good? Ive allways used shimano's. I want somthing with slower retrieve and more line capacity. The cost is only $20 less than a curdo on the BSH site. Any help is appreciated. Deckhand

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Deck Hand, my only experience is with Abu Garcia's Ambassador 5500 red reels which I've used for a good 30 years. They have bushings, not bearings, are light enough and of good quality. However, with bushings, I could not pitch with them or throw real light lures. It takes took too much force to get the spool spinning. e.g. a high moment of inertia required to first spin the spool. I've replaced most of them with the Bass Pro Shop Rick Clunn Signature Reels. It is much easier to pitch with and cast lighter lures with reels with bearings. Just my 2 ¢. 8)

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
i would have to say spend a little more and get a original chronarch. i baught 3 of them when they first came out and have used them very hard since then. i have only had a problem with one just recently and that was because i used for flippen in yuma with 50-60 pound test but i sent it back to shimano and they rebuilt it for 50 bucks but that is just my 2 cents . abu garcia is still a great real i still use them for heavy spooning and carilina riggin. but they do wear out a little faster than the chronarchs in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
If the ambassadeur d5 b/c is anything like the old 5500c and 6500c with a better braking system it would be better than the curado.
I used them for steelhead and still have them. they cast a smooth and flawlessly and will cast as far as a curado and probally farther. only thing back then they didnt have a good breaking system(or any) so if you cant thumb them you will get major backlash.

On a 10-12 foot steelhead rod with 17lb test and a 1/2 weight they will cast an extreamly long way(more than a clunn or a curado).

The old ones were metal framed and a little on the heavy side, but you didnt notice it on 10-12 rod. I also think the only had 4:1 gear ration which is pretty slow.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey,Thanks for all your input. Im going to give one a try. Ill let you know how it goes. Deckhand

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to have one of the red ones, i forgot the model tho. It was a great reel, It cast very well and was very durable. Too bad i droped it in Gun Lake in Canada. :(

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use to use the Red 5500's exclusivly...they were awesome...you did not need a brake system....I would pitch & flip with em too...no problem. They also use to be the only reel that would level wind when casted...Not sure if thats still true. They held some casting records way back when which was attributed to that feature. My last 5500 and new Phenix rod made its final resting place in the bottom of Jackass Cove :(

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess AbuGarcia reels like being with the fish more than catching them. I actually had another one before the one I dropped in Gun Lake that got draged into the salt river by some stupid catfish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.