Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Aluminum boat

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  spiderbrains 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy an aluminum boat, 12'-14', starter boat. I'm looking at craigslist and finding boats between 1500-2500, how do I determine quality?

Do you guys have any recommendations?

#2 ·
All welded is better than riveted. look for straight metal and not dinged up too bad. Look for areas that have been patched/repaired with putty or welding. Look at all the things that the boat has to make sure everything works as it should.
If it comes with a motor, make sure that it runs properly. Running in a barrel or tank will assure you that it runs. Get it onto some water and run it to make sure that it runs properly under load and longer than a few minutes. Check shifting to make sure it is smooth and works both ways.
Don't forget the trailer.. Check for repairs or welding. Check for rust and condition of tires and wheels. After you have towed the boat to or from the water feel the axle hubs. Too hot to touch will tell you that there is a problem with the bearings or races. Make sure the tires are in good condition.

Hope this helps. I have a 17 Alumacraft bass boat. It's okay for where I am and where I fish. I can hardly wait to get back to the real world and go back to a regular bass boat.

Phil

#3 ·
I would check wheel bearings on trailer first if comes with trailer.
Ask the owner if you can fill boat with about a foot of water plug in of course.
Crawl under a check for leaks , small leaks you can fix with silicone .
Also put a block behind trailer before filling so it don't tilt.
Mark leaks with marker so you can patch when dry .jb weld works to.

#4 ·
My advice: Ask the owner if it leaks. Then don't trust him and put it in the water anyway. Then you will be able to see what kind of leakage exists (if any). Why buy a boat that you have to patch when you can buy one that doesn't leak? I got burned really bad on a boat once....the guy was not honest and I learned my lesson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.