Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a 10yo 4yo and 1yo My mom has a pool and everytime I take my kids over to see grandma im constantly nervous she has a pool gate and everything my kids know not to go out back by themselves. Hell I have a plastic kiddie pool in my back yard for the dogs in the summer time and that makes me nervous as hell.
+1
I have a 2 yr old and a 3 1/2 year old. When around water (including my little fill up pool in the back), I never keep my eye off them. Not even for a second!!!
My parents always wanted our kids to go out to their place in the desert. They have a walk in pool with no gate. I told them that we had to be there because my kids will go in no matter who's around. Well the first time we went, my son fell in the pool in the first 60 seconds. My dad was right there. If nobod would have been there....DEAD

Our second in charge of HR at my work lost her son a year ago. He was 3 1/2 and her dad was watching their grandson. Well the Grandfather received a phone call. He was on the phone for 5-10 minutes. The child went through the doggy door and the pool gate was open. He found him floating. Horrible!

I often get sh_t for being over protective when it comes to this stuff. I could give a rats ass!!! I would take everything I had not to put a bullet in my head if I could have prevented their death.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah I see it in the news all the time scarey shit.
April gave CPR to the neighbors grandkid a few years ago, I was too emotionally ****ed up to do anything and all I was doing was giving the blow by blow to 911 on the phone.

Adult gets messed up or dead it doesnt bother me, but when it comes to kids I am a wreck.
That day was horrible for about everyone that was there, mom had her friend over with her son, and both my friend and I were in the front yard when it happened. If we didn't hear the yelling and screaming when we did, I honestly don't think the kid would have lived because both the grandparents were too frantic and upset when it happened to think. :icon_sad:

People had been rushing in and out of the house this morning when I left for work, and when I went home for lunch to fill the water bowl...from the looks of it and those running in and out with a rush, I didn't think the end results of the hospital sayings were any good. Then mom told me the toddler didn't make it. One of the neighbour's kids last night I was standing next to was with her dad and looked to be texting someone that was in the household at the time, giving us updates as to what the police and medics were doing on the other side of the tape, I assume an older sibling of the kid that she knew...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That day was horrible for about everyone that was there, mom had her friend over with her son, and both my friend and I were in the front yard when it happened. If we didn't hear the yelling and screaming when we did, I honestly don't think the kid would have lived because both the grandparents were too frantic and upset when it happened to think. :icon_sad:

People had been rushing in and out of the house this morning when I left for work, and when I went home for lunch to fill the water bowl...from the looks of it and those running in and out with a rush, I didn't think the end results of the hospital sayings were any good. Then mom told me the toddler didn't make it. One of the neighbour's kids last night I was standing next to was with her dad and looked to be texting someone that was in the household at the time, giving us updates as to what the police and medics were doing on the other side of the tape, I assume an older sibling of the kid that she knew...
Thats right I thought they were yelling about the nascar race and you said they werent you thought it was something serious and I looked over the fence just to double check . they had lost both phones in the pool they had just reached him when I jumped the fence and yelled at mom to get her ass over here now.
I forgot who brought the good phone somehow I ended up talking to 911, mom started dong CPR and the Robert comes flying over the fence and remember that women she jumped the 6 foot fence to help out. felt like a million years before the cops and paramedics got there.

And you always thought we were to stricted to allow you to goto pool parties when you were 16 years old ;)

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Whether your kids have been taught to swim!! you have a pool fence!!! you have a pool cover!!! you have secured doggy doors!!! or what ever else you can think of for "layers of protection" the little bastards will figure away through the layers.

Adult supervision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the primary variable that will not let the kids into harms way!!!!!!

went on way to many of these types of calls through the years here in Phx. and you would be surprised how many kids we had drown with all kinds of barriers in the way to prevent it. there is not a worse call to go on than have a mother hysterically screaming running around a pool with a kid in her arms!!!!!!! it is a nightmare!!!!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Whether your kids have been taught to swim!! you have a pool fence!!! you have a pool cover!!! you have secured doggy doors!!! or what ever else you can think of for "layers of protection" the little bastards will figure away through the layers.

Adult supervision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the primary variable that will not let the kids into harms way!!!!!!

went on way to many of these types of calls through the years here in Phx. and you would be surprised how many kids we had drown with all kinds of barriers in the way to prevent it. there is not a worse call to go on than have a mother hysterically screaming running around a pool with a kid in her arms!!!!!!! it is a nightmare!!!!
THIS IS WHY IT IS SO IMPORTENT TO TEACH A KID TO SWIM..They can teach babys starting at 6 months of age.It only takes 3 weeks of training to teach them to save there lives.3 weeks of your time can save there life.What are they worth to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohxTLV9wCQ&feature=related

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
yes very important, but it is a layer of protection

went on several drownings where the kids had been taught to swim or at least float and turn over on their back, nothing is full proof other than a parent or responsible person with their eyes on the kids/people when they are in the water. went on 10,14yr olds that were good swimmers, who knows siezure, hit head?? you don't let people swim alone and you watch the little ones.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My Daughter is 11 and my son is 9. Both knew how to swim when they were around 5. If you have a pool, teach your kids how to swim. Put em in water babies! My brother knew how to swim at 3 years old. Still pees in the pool tho. Explain the rules when they are old enough to understand, but don't scare them, I did that to my daughter and it took another year before she went near the pool let alone swim.
Even if you don't have a pool teach your kids how to swim! You can't be there for the rest of their lives keeping an eye on them! Teach them how to handle things themselves. Your kids are going to be some where at some time exposed to water. If your on this board it may be a large body of water. No time like the present to start teaching them.

I don't know why people that have pools and kids just don't take the kids for swimming lessons or teach them there self.They can teach baby's to swim..they did it in moms stomach for 9 months and they say that it is easier to teach baby's to swim than older kids.
Kids can be taught to swim almost before they walk. Teach them the earlier the better. No one is perfect, if you get distracted for a moment or two, by something like having to go to the bathroom, answer a door bell... That's all it takes. After you teach them to swim still keep an eye on them, it just isn't as critical!

·
Registered
682 Posts
There is a candle light vigil at simonton elementary school in queen creek for the 5yo little girl that passed away earlier in the week after drowning last weekend. The 2yo little boy that drowned with her is in stable condition. The vigil starts at 7pm. There is a account set up a desert schools I have all the info at my house. I didnt know her but I have a 4yo little girl and would want some support from my friends family and community if something tragic happened to any of my kids.
www.abc15.com/...candlelight-vigil.../haF0IpmvNU2U7GNJintRwA.cspx

·
Registered
365 Posts
:x:x:x
poor kidz, man im so so sry for the family, however i would like to ask one simple question, if you own a pool, spa water bucket or what have you , why in the hell dont these parents teach their kidz to swim, my kidz are all grown now but i have grandkidz 2-3 yrs old and we taught them to swim, my grand kidz jump off the diving board and evrything,, swim like they were adults maybe even better, you have a water hole in your backyard then its your responsiblity to teach them to swim,
im sorry for the drowning but to the responsible party,, what the ****!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Once they get a gulp of water they panic and drown in an instant. When my grandson was born we had a fence installed with a self closing gate. He is 5 years old now and I can honestly say he has never been out of sight of me or my wife for even 30 seconds. I had a good friend whose only grandson drowned at the babysitters house and it literally killed him so I am paranoid as hell about the pool.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
:x:x:x
poor kidz, man im so so sry for the family, however i would like to ask one simple question, if you own a pool, spa water bucket or what have you , why in the hell dont these parents teach their kidz to swim, my kidz are all grown now but i have grandkidz 2-3 yrs old and we taught them to swim, my grand kidz jump off the diving board and evrything,, swim like they were adults maybe even better, you have a water hole in your backyard then its your responsiblity to teach them to swim,
im sorry for the drowning but to the responsible party,, what the ****!!!!!! :(

Knowing how to Swim has nothing to do with it like a few others have said.
My kids can swim pretty damn good and I still wont let them go into a pool or spa unless we are sitting right at waters edge.

our kids have taken swimming lessons for years since there were able to walk. even my oldest we wouldnt let her go to friends house to play in the pool unless a parent was right there at the side of it. and I mean if the parent has to go take a whiz another parent comes to watch other wise kids are out of the pool.

we did this on my oldest till she moved out at 18 ( I am not kidding)LOL, now that she is older and out of the house I just requier a phone call and if shes going to a pool, if she doesnt then shes grounded. I think when she hits 30 I might lax the restrictions ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
There are tons of factors that go into such a tragic event Im a parent of 3 ranging from 10 down to 1yo. I am as anal as the next guy about my kids saftey. Whether its a pool a bath tub hell my one year old tries to get in the toilet every chance she can get. I couldnt even begin to imagine what any parent would feel like losing a child Im not a perfect parent and im sure many of you feel the same way but the guilt this mom and dad will have to live with for the rest of their lives is going to be unbearable. Just thinking the what if's........ what if it was my kid what if it was my family member ect. It only takes a second to loose track of one of your little ones and that could be it. I am praying for the familys and friends of this little girl. I am broke as a joke but I will donate to there fund and I have already turned this into a life lesson if you will for my 10yo and 4yo but I will always be the strict dad that makes sure his kids are safe. One day they will thank me for it.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Dude these people w/ kids that drown just aren't smart....

My kids first off were taught to swim early, and if I didn't feel like watching them I would just put a life jacket on them real tight....

Problem is w/that is your kiddies when thier 2 figure out they cant drown and jump into the pool randomly

I don't beleive in pool fences either.....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Del, Ringer, Gonzo8879, and Franklin.....+1+1+1
My kids have been in swiming lessons since they were 1 (they are 2 and 3.5). They can swim and I would never let them swim without me there. One moment of panic and big gulp of water......Dead. They're kids and that's what happens

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.