Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's it for? Do you guys honestly backreel that often?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I very rarely back reel, but that one time you need it, it's nice to have!

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I actually use mine from time to time. With todays drag systems its obsolete. I wish they still made the hook set drag and then you could fire it back to fight the fish drag.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i dont need the switch i have neaver used it. i set my drag to fit my line and conditions and the drag dose all the work

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
while were on this topic, all my reel does is back reel no matter if the switch is on or off, how couls i get this fixed, can i take it somewhere and have it fixed?

the reel is a couple years old so no warranty and i cant take it back, but in perfect condition (besides the stupid back reel), so i dont want to just trash it if it can be fixed

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
It's a pretty simple little cam arrangement on most of them. I had an ABU Cardinal that it was forever getting knocked out of whack on, after two years of constantly repairing it, I finally gave up on it.

What make of reel is it? Spinning reels are all pretty similar. Go to Mike's Reel Repair's website ( http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/index.php?cat=4 ) and you can find schematics of just about any reel and probably fix it yourself in a matter of a couple minutes.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
while were on this topic, all my reel does is back reel no matter if the switch is on or off, how couls i get this fixed, can i take it somewhere and have it fixed?

the reel is a couple years old so no warranty and i cant take it back, but in perfect condition (besides the stupid back reel), so i dont want to just trash it if it can be fixed
If you take it apart to clean it, you may have put the cam for in backasswards. Quick fix.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I never backreel. With a decent reel, with a decent drag, you shouldn't have to IMHO

·
Registered
177 Posts
That site is really awesome, its cool how u can buy the parts from it.
It's a pretty simple little cam arrangement on most of them. I had an ABU Cardinal that it was forever getting knocked out of whack on, after two years of constantly repairing it, I finally gave up on it.

What make of reel is it? Spinning reels are all pretty similar. Go to Mike's Reel Repair's website ( http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/index.php?cat=4 ) and you can find schematics of just about any reel and probably fix it yourself in a matter of a couple minutes.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Pond master, It depends on what reels you are using. Some, kile the Quantum reels have a needle bearing they call a clutch that is a one way bearing. This bearing is what prevents the back reeling when the switch is in the on position. This part is about $12 and very easy to replace. You need to take the spool off and then the spool mounting & bail assembly and you should be able to see whatever clutch assembly you have in your particular reels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts