AZBZ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have told you on Sunday I’m not superstitious about jinxing myself or bad luck omens and stuff. But I might be after yesterday.

Last Wednesday I lost my ‘lucky’ fishing hat on Lake Pleasant and had to wear a new hat Monday. No big deal. Then, while pulling into the ramp Monday morning I had to let a skunk cross the road in front of me. (that’s called a polecat right and they’re mostly black?) Didn’t think anything of it till now. Within an hour of launching I had just caught my second or third yellow bass on a Cicada and was holding it up to show Rich, (Sir Donut Man, aka SDM) how big it was. Well it flipped and flopped around in my hand and buried one of the hooks in my finger. I really didn’t think I jinxed myself by posting that article on "How-to remove a hook from a human" a couple of weeks back.

And then yesterday I asked SDM if I could try out his Gloomis drop-shot rod. He said sure. I picked it up and asked him what kind of line he had on there? "Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon" he said. I must of grimaced because he asked "What?" I said, "I really don’t like Vanish because when I tried it a couple years ago I broke off 6 consecutive fish drop-shotting 8 # test and never used it again." Can the truth jinx you? About an hour later, using SDM’s gear, I stuck a toad (SDM said a 10 to 12, but I think maybe an 8 or 9) and it came to the surface for a head shake and then dove towards the bottom. It was pulling drag off SDM’s new Okuma reel when the line popped. I turned towards SDM and said "It broke me off!" His reply? "F’ing Vanish!" Maybe if I hadn’t bad mouthed the Vanish it would have held.

Anyone else not superstitious like I am? The no lucky hat, the black polecat crossing the road in front of me, the potential jinx of posting the hook removal article and the potential jinx of saying I hate Vanish, its all coincidence right? Hey, knock on wood, I’m not getting superstitious about this stuff. Really!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
You do what you think.

Superstitious put negative thoughts into your head. I don't know about you, but I have enough negative thoughts in my head I don't need ones based upon superstition.

Think about this. "Vanish is super strong and I never loose fish with it." What do you think would have happened? I'll bet the fish would have been in the boat.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm superstitious to a point. If I catch a fish right off the bat, within the first 3 minutes or less (especially on the first cast), it's not going to be a good day. I've yet to have a good day after catching a fish right way.
Whoever catches the first fish isn't going to catch the most. The one that catches the most isn't going to catch the biggest.
My favorite all-purpose rod flew off the deck last year thanks to a big wakeboard wake. I thought I wouldn't ever catch another fish. I did... but it took a very long time. Mental?
I've had nothing but problems with Trilene. I went to have some line put on some ultralight spinning rods for a crappie trip at Roosi. They were out of Stren and I ended up with Trilene. We landed 2 fish all day long. Every 1 to 2 pound fish broke that line!Seemed like we did nothing but retie all day. Bad spool? Or is it the Trilene jinx?
I never did well the morning after a full moon. I almost gave up going those mornings. My theory... the fish could see so well with the moon that they gorged all night long and wouldn't be hungry in the morning. All of a sudden, the last 2 morning trips have produced good numbers and fish with size?
Maybe the jinx's can be overcome. Sorry you won't get your hat or big fish back though!! But... I still won't ever buy Trilene again!

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
superstitions

Justin & I have a couple of them I have to have my favorite marlins hat that I never have washed in 5 years :shock: the only time it has ever gotten wet is when it flew off my head into the lake. Ever since "ottis" AKA justin caught that 5.4 he will not wear a hat in the boat. He has to have his glasses on also.
And no one says the W word! (wind)
Joe & justin C

S

·
0 Posts
d a said:
I would have told you on Sunday I’m not superstitious about jinxing myself or bad luck omens and stuff. But I might be after yesterday.

Last Wednesday I lost my ‘lucky’ fishing hat on Lake Pleasant and had to wear a new hat Monday. No big deal. Then, while pulling into the ramp Monday morning I had to let a skunk cross the road in front of me. (that’s called a polecat right and they’re mostly black?) Didn’t think anything of it till now. Within an hour of launching I had just caught my second or third yellow bass on a Cicada and was holding it up to show Rich, (Sir Donut Man, aka SDM) how big it was. Well it flipped and flopped around in my hand and buried one of the hooks in my finger. I really didn’t think I jinxed myself by posting that article on "How-to remove a hook from a human" a couple of weeks back. Maybe its me. I you the hat. I had to get the fish off when you stuck yourself, probably burying the barb deeper, I loaned you my DS rod. As far as the snunk, it probably came up from Tucson with Ray, you know how snunks stick together. LMBO Rich aka Black Cloud.

And then yesterday I asked SDM if I could try out his Gloomis drop-shot rod. He said sure. I picked it up and asked him what kind of line he had on there? "Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon" he said. I must of grimaced because he asked "What?" I said, "I really don’t like Vanish because when I tried it a couple years ago I broke off 6 consecutive fish drop-shotting 8 # test and never used it again." Can the truth jinx you? About an hour later, using SDM’s gear, I stuck a toad (SDM said a 10 to 12, but I think maybe an 8 or 9) and it came to the surface for a head shake and then dove towards the bottom. It was pulling drag off SDM’s new Okuma reel when the line popped. I turned towards SDM and said "It broke me off!" His reply? "F’ing Vanish!" Maybe if I hadn’t bad mouthed the Vanish it would have held.

Anyone else not superstitious like I am? The no lucky hat, the black polecat crossing the road in front of me, the potential jinx of posting the hook removal article and the potential jinx of saying I hate Vanish, its all coincidence right? Hey, knock on wood, I’m not getting superstitious about this stuff.

S

·
0 Posts
Your post got me to wondering. I gave you the new hat you had on Monday. I had to help you get the fish off the hook when you stuck yourself, probably driving the barb deeper. You were using my rod with the "Vanish" when your toad broke off. I guess if I were native american my name would be "Dark Cloud". I do not claim responsibility for the skunk. It probably travel up from Tucson with Sir Skunked Alot. When am I going to get to backseat with you again? Whats that you say "In my next life"? LMBO, Rich.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
First off, what's wrong with running into a skunk at the lake??? :x

I don't know if this is superstitious or not, but I have found that I have bad days on the water when I don't bring my fishing seats for the boat (like Saturday). I've also found that when I don't put the drain plug in my boat I tend to have bad days too... :wink:

Seriously... I do feel uncomfortable leaving the house with out my Willy Wacker hat or one of my fishing t-shirts (Baja Tackle, Del-Mart or AZBP t-shirts) I lost one of my Del-Mart shirts last month (blew overboard when I went for a dip) and I ended up with a VERY BAD sunburn that day. It was my favorite fishing T.

I will share one thing with you about superstitions, I broke a mirror when I was 19 and I spent the next 10 years in the Navy. About 7 or 8 years after breaking the first one, I broke a second one - I've been married a total of 15 years now... :?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Some philosopher said, "As a man thinks, so is he." I don't have time to think about superstitious things, or maybe I should say I don't give it a thought. I don't believe in superstition. When I see a skunk or two running around on the ramp, I'm thinking about how cute they are and how fortunate I am to see some wildlife. When I have to wait for them to leave, I think to myself, "Stop being in such a rush and when you get on the water, slow down your retrieves."

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Conquistador: I agree positive visualization is the way to go. However, I could never think "Vanish is super strong and I never loose fish with it.", that would be lying to myself, a negative thought. P-line? That one I could do.

Rippinlips: Do you find yourself intentionally trying not to catch a fish in the first 3 minutes? Next time you're out with Dawg and you catch the first fish, double up on the bet for the biggest fish! :wink:

Delw: That explains the bag of blue fleck lizards attached to your boat keys.

AJ: All I know is the Okuma felt smooth, had a nice drag, and felt good on that rod. I had forgotten about the banana jinx, good one! :D

Joe C: I have several old, faded, filthy lucky hats that I'm going to give a second chance. :roll:

Sir Donut Man: Repeat after me, "I will never click on the quote button. I will never click on the quote button." :p

I will not call you "Dark Cloud" for that would be a negative thought. Henceforth you shall be known as "Gooey Jelly Donut" for that brings a smile to my face. (or it could be "Vanishing Fish" depending how the day is going. :wink: )

Gooey Jelly Donut: You can fish in my backseat on any day ending in the letter "Y"

Lone Ranger: I believe the same philosopher who said: "As a man thinks, so is he" also said "As a skunk stinks, let it be." :lol:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I find that if I plan on taking some yellows home to eat, by putting the first one in the live well, fishing slows down. If I toss them back, fishing seems to stay the same or improve. Maybe I am catching the same fish over and over... Where is Lippy? I need a bass.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Im very superstious (sp?) about listening to what others tell me is working...I listen, but I always try to do my own thing. Really, if you hear they are killing them on Aarons Magic, why would you want to throw what everyone else is throwing? Seems like when I was first starting out, I did the worst when I did what the local fishing report said was working.
Jason

S

·
0 Posts
I will never click on the quote buttom so help me Webster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts