Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Fished from 8 AM til 3 PM. Started out spooning in 30-40' off points with no luck. Luckily for us my brother had to spackle the bowl around 11 AM. :? He found out from another boater that the fish were hitting cranks and spinners extremely shallow, right next to the banks.

Caught 2 LM (1.5 lb.) on 3/8 oz jig chartreuse, white head real shallow and 1 SM (2 lb.) on rattle trap (black shad color), also lost a 2-2.5 lb smallie right at the boat on the same rattle trap. Once the wind died down around 2:30, so did the shallow bite.

GREAT day on the lake. There were only 3 other boats on the water the whole day, MAYBE 4!! I felt like I was on a private fly-in lake or something!

Digdug

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really enjoy this site. All of you guys have good things to say about the fishing/conditions/bite etc. for all the lakes. But it seems like Apache is kind of left out of the picture. Is it simply because it's a bit af a pain to drive that far, or am I missing something :?:

Just curious,

DigDug

·
Registered
351 Posts
DigDug, I was up there on Friday, saw a few boats and thats it. Kinda erie to see only a few boats go by. BTW, what were you fishing out of? I was catchin them shallow as well... one of these days I will figure out how to catch them deep on that lake.

later

kk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Conquistador I couldn't agree with you more! That is my favorite lake by far. I hope they never pave the road either. Keep it just the way it is.

I also wanted to say thank you. I received a copy of your "Speed Cranking for Smallmouths" that was printed in the magazine. Thanks to Bayou. I tried what you were describing and it worked well for me and helped me in my last 2 days at Canyon for catching some smallies. Thanks you again. Hopefully some day I will have the pleasure of meeting up with you on the lake.

Tad

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,

Just an FYI. I am fishing our club (Canyon Bass) tourney this weekend at Apache. Whether that is a sign to stay away from the lake (too busy) or a sign to come up and see where some hot spots may be (depending on who your're following). Hopefully it's a limit-out weekend with this warm weather coming through.

DigDug :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
If it was me I would be hoping for cold cloudy windy conditions on Apache while fishing.. Seems as though that is when I have my best fishing... I have been there so many times this time of year when i am catching fish under those conditions.... I remember a few years back fishing Apache while it was snowing on me and windy and that was my best day ever on that lake... Good luck to you and your brother and hope to hear a good report from you Sunday evening! Fish on!!!!!!!

Tad

·
Registered
126 Posts
apache weather

I agree about the weather at Apache. I was up there in late March or early April a couple of years ago. It was overcast and breezy and cold, and there was snow on the mountains around the lake. The smallmouth hit absolutely everything we threw at them. My best day ever at that lake!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Tadmo,

Thanks for the complements and sharing that it works on Canyon. I haven't yet fished for smallies in the winter on that lake. From all the reports, I better get there! If you see the WiredWorm boat it's me. Stop by.

Also, 2 of the best days I've ever had on Apache in winter have been on clam 70 degree days. Over 40 smallmouth between 2- 3.5lbs. I don't know why, but all I know is that Apache is day to day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts