Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John and I have an almost 1 year old girl, and we have no idea if there are any laws, rules... to when the baby can go in the boat. There don't seem to be any lifejackets small enough for her. She is a total "daddys girl" and the sooner she can get on the boat with him, the better! I do not want her to be afraid of the water. And the thought of them both gone fishing all the time.... I am LIKING that! Thanks for any advice you can give. :?
Jeannie

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
There is no law against it, Ive had my kids in the boat from when they were really small, mom didnt like it to much but got used to it.

You will probally have togoto a speacialty shop for a small life jacket, I have a few real small ones you are more than welcome to have, I wont need them any more( if I did I would be killed by my wife).

One think DONT put a carseat in the boat and DONT strap her down in the seat. if something was to happen and the boat turned over well you get the picture.

I have my daughter and or son hold my life jacket strap (the oen on the side)and I hold thiers while running down the lake.

I also hook the kill switch chain to them.

one time I had the vid camera on the front of the boat poitning towards my son while were were hauling ass across pleasant, took a bunch of vid while he was fishing, he caught some nice fish in the 3lb range. I was happy and couldnt wait for my wife to see them. well getting up to the part where he was catching fish was the ride. I was in the kitchen at the time getting a coke.... and I heard DEL you SON OF A B ----- I am going to kill you... Well I thought I had some vid of some naked chicks in humbug but that was after the ride. so I went into the liveing room and rewound the tape. you see kids are very light when they are small , and well they are not arodynamicaly correct. when we hit wide open Anthony was well lets just say riding on air, there was a 1-1.5 foot gap of air under him(between his butt and the seat) .... I always why he sat up straight in the boat and not in the car or at the dinner table.

besides she didnt understand that I held the strap of his jacket and he held mine as well.

Oh yeah also my kids sit right next to me when I drive if I take the 2 little ones I dont go wide open and they hold each others straps, if my older daughter goes then she sits on the far end with the 2 little ones in between.

now while yes that little girl is your little baby, your husband no matter how forgetful or a pain in the butt he can be will never let anything happen to her. its funny we can fish watch the nekid chicks and still remember we have a little kid on board ( called multitasking)

being she is small she can probally ride on his lap while he is driveing as well.

remember kill switch attached to the kid(its not a law just good sence ) also keep anything of value in the compartments cause for some reason it has a way of finding the bottom of the lake when little kids are around.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree with Del (that's sick isn't it). Get 'em out there young. I started taking my son out when he was a baby. I had a runabout and took his car seat with us. This was on Patagonia during week days so I didn't do anything crazy. I've got some great pictures of him in the boat. I also have 2 very small vests that you are welcome to. Jeff

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Jeannie, I had a very small life vest for my son when he was small. He (John) was 3 weeks old when we took him out on the boat on Lake Okeechobee and he got to see his first bass. When he was 6 months old, it was summertime in south Florida. So we took him to water survival classes for a week at the local community pool. The classes were taught by a professional and were pretty cheap...something like $30 for 5 one-hour classes. Because of those classes, he loved the water. When he was 4 years old, and already swimming in our pool, he fell off the back of the boat in about 20 feet of water without a life vest, fully clothed, alligators and all. He was going round and round holding on the back pedestal seat, got dizzy and fell into the water. I guess it's a guy thing. By the time I got to the back of the boat, he had dog-paddled his way to the surface, at which time I grabbed the back part of his jacket and hoisted him aboard. He was fine and came out of the laughing. My wife and I were both grateful that he had taken those water survival classes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Be careful about one thing...

I've been taking my 3-year-old out since he was one. The thing is, now he won't let me go without him! :) :?

I love taking him, but when you do, it's more about him than the fishing. If I want to get some serious fishing done, I have to sneak out before he wakes up, and then deal with the rath when I get home.

But I wouldn't trade it for anything. He loves going fishing with Dad. Still, I can't wait till he can handle his own gear. :wink: It should be interesting when his 5-month-old brother gets into the act.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
B Mc B, it's all worth it. I'd be trying to sneak out and John (at 4-years old) would hear me, wake up and come charging out of his room ready to go fishing. I brought his apple juice, his orange juice, his Cheerios, some other kind of cereals, other snacks, 5-6 of his toys, etc. When he got bored with fishing he'd eat, drink, and play with his toys. They do grow up fast though. He graduated last June from the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO and now is in pilot training at Vance AFB. His goal is to be a fighter pilot flying F15's, or F16's, or F22's. Enjoy them while they are little. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much guys!! Del we may take you up on the offer for the little life vest. I have no idea where you guys found those, all of them we have seen look like they would float right off of her.
As far as the baby catching air... I would kick his butt!! I had better not catch him doing over 80mph with her in the boat. The speed limit with me in the boat is 20,I guess with her it could be 19. :lol: I had no idea about a kill switch, but that is a good idea...(you can tell how often I go fishing). I hope John is "multitaskful" when he is with her, I have yet to see this. I do believe that you are all a little more careful with the kids in the boats.
I actually like the idea of him not being able to leave to go fishing without her, makes it easy on me :D Thanks again, Del I will have John get with you on the life vest.
Jeannie & baby Jennalee

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Thats the only reason I am allowed to fish as much as I do. I have to take the kids, with out them I would be home doing honey do's

I got them at wall mart years ago, they had alot smaller ones also.

my 3 year olds wont fit into it way to small I know she was wearing it at about 1.5 years.

Every wife should know( mine did :roll: ) that a boat only goes 19 MPH in first gear(even if it looks faster) as long as he dont shift you will be fine.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YEAH< thanks, I told my husband not to shift with the baby in the boat :oops: I am starting to think... maybe I should get out on the boat more often!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
The baby has to have a life vest on anytime the boat is underway. Underway is anytime the boat is on the water and is not anchored or moored. make shure the vest fits and is a self righting type.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.