Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a terrible time trying to learn to use a bait caster. I've been using the a spinning reel for the last year and a half and it works for me. I'm spending 15 minutes picking out the snarls from trying to cast it. My boyfriend tells me I have to learn to use it but I think the spinnig reel is just fine. Do I really have to learn to use a bait caster?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good Morning,

I can empathize with you on this one. I typically use an ultra light spinning rig. On an impulse purchase I picked up a baitcasting reel and got it set up to try it with some of my smaller bass lures. Works reasonably well with heavy lures, not so good with the lighter stuff.

I did manage to find some helpful tips < videos and articles > at:

basspro.com

www.bassresource.com

www.myoutdoortv.com

Oh yeah, a toothpick is helpful for working out the backlashes!

So for now most of the time the baitcaster rig is just there for when I get the urge to toss out the big rigs. I still find the UL rig to suit me just fine.

Be well!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I heard if you take out 40 yrds of line and then put a piece of electrical tape straight across your spool, then reel up the rest of the line over the tape it can't backlash deep into the spool. This will make it much less frustrating to pick out backlashes and keep you fishing longer. There are many advantages to using a bc reel, stick with it if you like to catch fish it will pay off.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I don,t know what one you have, but learn to ajust the nut on the side. Just put a bait on and press the release button. let it fall slowly and ajust till it stops moving, then losen. 1/4 of a turn. If it has magnets on the other side ajust them tigth till you get use to it. It just takes a little time.:wink:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What are you trying to cast with it.(worm,spinnerbait crankbait,ect. And what pound test line are you using?
When I bought my first one back when I was in my teens I just used a 3/4 ounce barrel weight to practice with until I got it dialed in. Then I down sized to were now I can throw just about anything on it.
I use my baitcaster 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
my sister and i have fished tournaments and she uses spinning,now that doesnt mean she uses 1 rod she uses many rods in heavyer actions,now i know it sounds dumb but if your baitcaster reel was a cheap one it will take you months to cast it just right cheaper the worst

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Practice, practice, practice! If you've got some money to spend pickup a Citica or Curado, those reels cast very well and are great to learn on. Cheap casting reels are difficult to learn on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I had the hardest time picking baitcasters up. After alot of dissapointed trips trying to do it at the lake I finally devised my own method for getting the hang of it.

Here's how I did it.

You don't need to buy an expensive reel to start. Just buy a cheapie rod n reel combo, that way you learn to do it the hard way before you buy a fancy reel.

Spool it up with some heavy mono 14lb - 17lb, it's easy to pick out heavier line if you backlash.

Use a 1/4 - 1/2 oz Dropshot weight (I used the round ones). With the drop shot weights you can add or remove weight for practice without retying.

If you have a pool, that is the best. If you don't, go to a local pond and practice. Casting Practice on Dry land caused me a ton of birds nests. It was easy to feather the line as I saw it hit the water. Most of my birdsnests came during practice because the weight would hit dry land before I was ready. The water is more forgiving and more accurate to what you are doing.

I started by tossing sidearm, flipping or pitching before I started throwing overhead. You need to work into the momentum of casting one of these before swinging for the fences. It will keep you backlashes down and build confidence in technique.

Do this for at least an hour a day until you get it. I had the power go out on my house, and while SRP worked on restoring the power I passed the time practicing my casting. 6 hours later I had it down.

Don't limit yourself to which side of the reel the handle is on. I am right handed, I reel a spinning reel with my left hand. After tossing a baitcaster all day, the only problem I had left was reeling with my right hand. I bought a left handed reel and everything fell into place. Just because your friend reels righty, doesn't mean you need to.

Practice, Practice, Practice

After you get the hang of it reward yourself by buying a decent baitcaster reel. My first good BC reel was a Citica. Then I went to the lake and practiced with the new setup. It was night and day from my practice reel. The better reel definitely improved my casting and helped me with my technique. But I don't think I would have ever learned how to do it right if I started with a reel that was easy to cast.

I have now switched almost entirely to Baitcasters. I only use a spinning reel for light finesse techniques like Shakey and D/S.

Good Luck! It's definitely worth the effort, believe me.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
My 7 year old picked it up in two days but then again he is a male. Just kidding don't be so sensitive. Keep at it and do everything these people tell you but there is truth to making sure you have good equipment.

·
Registered
312 Posts
honestly.. regardless of what tricks you try, it just takes time.
My husband started me on bread.. that crap lasted like 2 years..lol It was easier to get spool ups out. (I think)
You dont need top of the line.. you'll get it with practice. I actually prefer my Citica and new Curado over spinning. But if you fish light stuff you may still back lash... or wind. Also keep checking your settings when you change lures. (or he should be checking it...lol)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Best to learn with a BC that does not have all the bells & whistles. The Abu Garcia 4600c is a simple well built reel that is very user friendly. I have 20# braid spooled up and can cast a 3/8 oz. bait with ease. Keeping it simple to start with will be less frustrating and you will be more willing to keep at it. Also going with a heavy weight until you get the hang of it, then as you get better, work down to lighter.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When i use a baitcaster its only with fairly heavy lures, i love using it in general because you can cast it a mile and the line doesnt tear up ur finger on cold days when your whipping it out. Good luck, O yea I have yet to try the tap under the line thing but I want to so ill you you know what i find.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I havent read any of the replies, but an easy one to use is the ABU 4600C3. I learned on a 5500 C and the 4600 is just smaller. I am buying one for my wife (and of course I can use it too!)...might be worth a look. They are under 100 bucks and last forever.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I havent read any of the replies, but an easy one to use is the ABU 4600C3. I learned on a 5500 C and the 4600 is just smaller. I am buying one for my wife (and of course I can use it too!)...might be worth a look. They are under 100 bucks and last forever.

They really do last forever. My dad bought a couple when I was a kid and still uses them...

·
Undergoing attitude adjustment
1,806 Posts
if your baitcaster reel was a cheap one it will take you months to cast it just right cheaper the worst[/quote]

i agree with skeeterboy i bought one from walmart really cheap to learn how to use one same thing happend to me i ended up getting a pflueger and minutes after useing it i master the reel now thats all i pretty much use are baitcaster now my advice look into a better baitcaster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts