Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if higher gear ratio baitcasters have less cranking power. Meaning, comparing to 4WD, using higher gears for light weight 4WD driving and low(granny gears) for gettin ahold. Make any sense?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
That's exactly right.....the faster it is, the less torque you create by cranking and you have to work harder.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
At the end of the day, you will be noticably more tired from cranking a dd-22 with a high speed reel than if you were using a 5.0:1 reel.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
understandable, but I have 7.0:1 ( wont say what brand due to some guys that are sellin the same reel, and dont wanna sway the sale) and Im using it for froggin. When I connect with a good fish, in the nasty of weeds and burys me, the reel acts like its drag is going off. I have the drag all the way cranked, and when I try to reel the handle is more or less just rotating. Im using the rod to pretty much haul it out, instead, I wanna winch em out. I have two of these reels and they do the same thing, just to see if I got a bum reel. And they aint cheapys. So Im thinkin that it aint the reel, its the ratio.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I like to use a higher speed reel throwing buzz baits and throwing garlin/twin tail type gigs in deeper water. The reason for each is the buzz bait will wear you out with a low speed reel as you need to keep them on top the whole time. For jigs, a lot of times after you get bit, they swim towards the boat faster than I can reel to get a good hook set? For these 2 applications, I use a higher speed reel.
JMHO,

John

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I like about the high ratio's too. But if Im losing cranking power, I think I might wanna go to a lower ratio for froggin. But I dont wanna loose the speed. UGH

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Have your reel checked. That does not sound right.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Your drag doesn't work properly have it checked. If it was the gear ratio you would simply not be able to turn the crank or it would be very hard if the handle is turning the drag is broken.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
understandable, but I have 7.0:1 ( wont say what brand due to some guys that are sellin the same reel, and dont wanna sway the sale) and Im using it for froggin. When I connect with a good fish, in the nasty of weeds and burys me, the reel acts like its drag is going off. I have the drag all the way cranked, and when I try to reel the handle is more or less just rotating. Im using the rod to pretty much haul it out, instead, I wanna winch em out. I have two of these reels and they do the same thing, just to see if I got a bum reel. And they aint cheapys. So Im thinkin that it aint the reel, its the ratio.
I BET ITS NOT THE REELS FALT
What you have just described is what happens to a reel over time if you do not back off the drag at the end of a day of fishing.
Dont forget to relieve the drag pressure from your reels at the end of the day.Drags work by compressing the drag washers, the more you compress the washers the harder it is for them to slip. By leaving them compressed all the time you are taking away the ability for your reel to have varying drag settings. Over time it will either be on or off and over enough time it will get to where you either have no drag or it will be extremely loose

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I BET ITS NOT THE REELS FALT
What you have just described is what happens to a reel over time if you do not back off the drag at the end of a day of fishing.
Dont forget to relieve the drag pressure from your reels at the end of the day.Drags work by compressing the drag washers, the more you compress the washers the harder it is for them to slip. By leaving them compressed all the time you are taking away the ability for your reel to have varying drag settings. Over time it will either be on or off and over enough time it will get to where you either have no drag or it will be extremely loose

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Either way, if your cranking and the spool isn't turning, or if the spool is turning and your not cranking, it's a drag issue. One reason I like the high speed Revo sx, 18lbs. of drag compared to 11lbs on a Curado.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Either way, if your cranking and the spool isn't turning, or if the spool is turning and your not cranking, it's a drag issue. One reason I like the high speed Revo sx, 18lbs. of drag compared to 11lbs on a Curado.
Thanks Dan, that was kinda the answer I was looking for. Do the lower ratio reals have more lbs of drag versus the high ratios?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The revos do, the shimanos do not. I still think shimano is the better quality reel. The advice jerkbait gave is a good practice. If the drag is weak, there's always your thumb as an option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts