Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided I want to give a bait casting a try. My question is what a good reel and rod would be. I'm not looking to spend to much on it, seeing as how I'll probable through it when I get my first birds nest.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Abu Garcia 4600c3, costs around $68-$74. User friendly, no extra dials to set, no weights to change or adjust. A simple yet well built reel with no bells or whistles to make starting out complicated. Go for the sports car after you learn to drive is a way of putting it. I'm also in Gilbert and if you would like to try out my A. G., you are more than welcome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I've decided I want to give a bait casting a try. My question is what a good reel and rod would be. I'm not looking to spend to much on it, seeing as how I'll probable through it when I get my first birds nest.

Thanks
Daiwa exceler/exceler rod combo isnt bad. I bought one last month and after the first time out I dont birdsnest as much. Lots of good reviews on the exceler...I got the combo for under $100 for cabellas.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
A good inexpensive rod and reel.Go to WalMart and pick up a Berkley 6'6" med rod and a Pinnacle reel total less than $100.I would suggest a low profile reel no mater what brand you get.Baitcasting gear is probably the single most important tool for catching bass.Yes, its not easy when you first start to learn but if you stick with it the payoff is big.We have all had to go through it.Stick with it Dont quit..

·
Registered
513 Posts
the bass pro shops "extreme" reels are pretty decent for the money. cast very well and would be a good reel to learn on. they run about 80 bucks but you can usually find them on sale for a lot less

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I bought used. I found a really nice Falcon rod on here for about 30.00 that was never used...and then I found a Quantum Accurist AC501PT(which is a left-handed reel) for about 45.00 new on ebay for about 45.00. So I got about a 200.00 setup for about 75.00.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Keep an eye out for used lefty Curados or other nice reels. You can get some great deals on quality gear if you are patient.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I started off with an Abu Garcia 2005LP that I found on ebay for about $30 and a $20 closeout medium heavy rod from Dicks. It took some practice but now I hardly use my spinning gear and moved on to nicer rod and reel combos. It's frustrating at first, but stick with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I learned on reel with no brakes, and I have a temper. Every time I would (bird nest) I would just set it down and keep fishn with my other reels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up buying a Abu max black and a $30 6'6 rod. Will see how I do tomorrow when I start playing around with it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My biggest tip to you: tighted the break up and slooooowly loosen it as you get more comfortable.

You will get less distance with the break tightened but you will reduce your chances of backlashing. If you birdnest once or twice you will probably give it up....so tighten up that drag.

Also cast the reel sideways in the beginning. When your lure hits the water, your thumb should be on the spool facing inward toward the midline of your chest (reel handle should be pointing directly at you). It may seem acquard at first, but it will help you learn.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up buying a Abu max black and a $30 6'6 rod. Will see how I do tomorrow when I start playing around with it.
Now dont fill that reel to the top with line to start out. Spool the line about 3/16 to 1/4 from the top of the spool.Pull out about 50' of line and put a strip of tape on the spool,that way you wont backlash beyond the tape.Good Luck

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
here we go again.... Abu 4600 C3, they make them in lefty. Awesome for beginners and will probably last forever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts