Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope one of you guys connected to the system can recommend my idea to help avoid this Tradgedy in the future. If you have a boat you must know how really difficult it is to see these kayaks on the water,especially if there is a wind chop of any kind.
They are so low in the water and most do not wear any bright clothing. My suggestion is that small low craft as they are should be made to have a whip antennae with a flag as do atv's and dune buggies.
As cautious as I may be,there have been a couple of times while up on plane I wish I had seen those guys sooner. If anyone is connected to influence the powers that be,please pass on this suggestion.
That news cast was just terrible to see.There was blood on the side of the bass boat where he pulled the kayaker aboard. The bass fisherman had breathing problems and was taken to hospital.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
The law would have to be written and pass the legislature and senate. this takes a long time and a lot of lobbying. the us forest service in each dist. could enact a rule mandating this though. Lets see what the back lash of this will be. I am with you, i have come real close to parting a couple of them too. more swimmers though. I can write them for impeding a waterway though.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think Delw and some of these others are on the right track. It's not a matter of who's right and who's wrong, it's a matter of making it harder to miss these people. You know a flag isn't going to be perfect, but it's a step that may help.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I'm with Ray...we can have all the laws and recommendations we want but I'll guarantee you accidents will still occur (especially by the impaired). Bottom line is we ALL need to use far more caution than we do - there can never be enough. Nevertheless, accidents will continue one way or another.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I wonder what kind of legal action is going to be taken against the boater?

G

·
This entire incident is a sad reminder that, as cautious as a person may be and may have been through out their boating experiences, it only takes one fleeting moment of carelessness to ruin lives and devastate families. I wasn't there so I cannot say for sure... but it seems to me that if a boater looks carefully around before hitting the throttle and raising his bow high enough to obstruct his view that accidents like this might be avoided. And this doesn't only apply to boats... how many of us do careless things such as dialing and talking on cell phones, messing with the radio, etc. while driving our cars and trucks that distract us and could have tragic consequences for us or others?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts