Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard on the news that a "power boat" collided with a kayak at Bartlett. Kayaker didn't make it. They didn't say what kind of power boat. Please keep your eyes open for these folks, we see them all of the time at Saguaro.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Thats not cool since 80% of the boats I saw last time I was on B-let were bass boats. Maybe Boat Cop knows more?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was on azcentral.com

A kayaker was killed shortly before noon Tuesday in Bartlett Lake after a collision with a fishing boat.

Lt. J.J. Tuttle, a spokesman for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, said the pilot of the fishing boat pulled the other man into his boat and rushed him to an aid station after the collision, but he couldn't be saved.

The fishing boat pilot was not impaired, Tuttle said.

No additional details are available yet.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
thats pretty sad that the innocent has to pay the price he did . those power boaters are not very intelagent people.they go to the lake to burn gas make wakes and indanger the smaller watercrafts.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just saw it on TV. Looked like a Champion Bass boat.. What a terrible tragedy. And you're right there are a bunch of Kayakers on Saguaro on any given day of the week

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
It was a bass boat and a yak. as for violations i am not sure until i get further details. I was in an EMT course when this happened. it happened at Yellow cliffs and it was bad. A yak, canoe, rowboat etc has to follow the same laws as a power boat when it come to traffic regulation on the water. can anyone tell me what vessel does not??????????

G

·
ok I saw it and I know who the boater is....He is one of the most cautious well respected tournament fisherman out there.. HE was in a state of shock and was rushed to the hospital because of the trauma he took on.

The news report says that it was nothing more than an accident since the bassboat was powering up and the kayaker was in his blind spot according to the news...

I am in a state of shock right now cuz I know for sure who the boater is and he is one hell of a good guy, I am bummed it happened to him and I feel HORRIBLE for the kayakers family as well.

G

·
Just saw it on 3. It was a Wht with Red trim Champion. They said the boat was powering up and not quite on plane when it hit the yak. The bow was in drivers way. I always check before hitting the throttle, knowing my view will be blocked for awhile. They took the driver to the hospital as well, said he was really shook up. It looked like G.W. to me. What a terrible thing, we all need to take a little extra care.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
I feel bad for the family of the kyaker but damn I even feel worse for the guy who hit him, I couldnt imagine what the guy is going through.

Kayacker and float tubes are the hardest to see on the water, they set low and they are usually dark in color.
with any waves on the water they are almost impossible to see.
I really truely believe they should have a regulation that if your boat(water craft) sets only a foot or so from the surface you should be requiered to have a whip flag or something attached to the watercraft.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm sorry, I just can't ignore this. I don't think power boaters are out to burn gas, cause wakes and endanger anyone... True, there are careless people out there and there are very careful people out there. Accidents will happen. That doesn't make it ok but maybe this incident will stick in our minds and maybe one day it will keep one of us from running over a family boat and killing some kids. Maybe this will stick in one of our minds and keep us from doing the same to one of us here. Getting up on plane is something that we all do quite often and all of us always check that the coast is clear, but there is always the chance that we could miss someone.

My heart goes out to the the people involved here, on both sides. Lets not forget.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Accidents are just that, an accident. They are all caused by violations of the law. Some violations are more extreme than others and call for extreme charges, ie: negligent homicide = the guy who drives his boat wth a pair of vice grips as a steering wheel, manslaughter= the dude on the jet ski who is trying to splash the other guy and does not quite turn quick enough. Murder 2= the guy that is shit faced on his boat and plows into a another boat and kills someone.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
This is tragic, my thoughts and prayers are with the both of the families.
They should have one of those orange flags on the HB pole. Like 6' high. That may help. Who's been to Sag lately? Those kyakers are all over.

Oops sorry Delw you already said that flag thing! I agree with Delw

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
i think after reading all of this iam going to be extra cautious and go down the lake at lower speeds tp prevent myself being put in a situation like that. good luck out there hope every body has safe trips in the future.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Folks i will warn you that you need to pay special attention to swimmers that attemp to swim acrost the lake

G

·
Boat Cop

Those are strong words all accidents are a violation of the law. I do believe some accidents are unexpected that may cause loss or life. These are unexpected happening's which is not due to anyones fault or misconduct. I pray in this accident, that it was unexpected event, it's very tragic for both parties.

2dogs

·
Registered
351 Posts
I too am deeply disturbed by this incident. The boater has been a heck of a nice guy to me and was very cautious when I was with him in the past. With regards to one of the previous posts, I remember as a boy scout we would swim across Canyon and parts of Saguaro at night, no lights and no life vests. Little did I know of the possibilities of a boat hitting me. I now feel very fortunate, I or any of the 12 of us, to have not been hit or killed.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I have investigated over 2000 vehicle and several hundred boating accidents. In all the vehicle accidents i have seen maybe 4 that were not violations in the law. Which would be an animal runs into the roadway or they have an equipment failure. in all the boating accidents i have seen none. Every movement you do in a car or boat is regulated by a law in some way. In this accident 1 boat violated the law the other did not. When the investigation is over i will tell you which one and why! It may not seem right yet it is. As a police officer we are taught that we do not find " fault". We try and find violations in the law that attributed to the accident. Insurance companies determine fault and to what extent each of the parties are liable

1 - 20 of 31 Posts