Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2lb bass in my aqaurium at home, he's been in there for about 2 weeks now. He is pretty much trained now, he can eat a nightcrawler right out of my hand. Goldfish dont stand a chance. He will mow thru a dozen in about a day. I tried something new and got a dozen waterdogs last night. Put the biggest one in first, he didnt last 2 seconds. My fish ate 3 more, then just sat there at the bottom of the tank, probably feeling full as heck. Ive learned a lot from watching him feed though! Im going home in a few to feed him another one. Yeah, I think Im a little TOO into this fishing stuff!
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2 pounders

Do have any more of those 2 pounders, I'd like to borrow about five of them for my next tournament. I promise to feed them and return them unharmed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a pet chanelcatfish that i caught in one of the Gila Springs ponds. when i caught him he was only 4 inches, that was last May. Now he is 12 inches! I swear he eats more than i do! I feed him leftovers from dinner. When i go on vacation, I buy four or five dozen goldfish, they are always gone before I get back. I need to release him soon because he is getting too big for my fifty gallon tank. Im planing on replacing him with a small bass or bluegill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now this is a cool topic though, And since you kinda brought it up.

Heres what I have had over the last 21 years in az. (for more than a week)

Birds:
2 owls (the big ones) One was hit by my truck, the other I thought was hurt and just picked it up while duck hunting, it stayed with me the whole day so I took it home for a few weeks before letting it go in the back yard, he hung round for a year or so and we see him every now and then. This was the only bird my wife Made me get rid of. Seems she went into the garage one day and the thing flipped its head upside down and 180º she didnt have the light on and she saw the reflection of the bird. I also hand fed this bird raw liver. Soons as I walked outside or into the garage(depending where it was at the time) it flew right next to me. We have some really cool vid tape of it.

a few nighthawks(all hit by my truck. only one died the others lived)

2 harris hawks( one hit a power line while we were shooting p-dogs and snapped its wing, I had it for 2 weeks before I called some friends to fix it up) The other just couldnt fly called the same friends and they picked it up and last I heard it flew away(they even broguht it back to the org location to release it)

one little pygmy owl , I think it was a pygmy owl(hit by my truck) flew back into the wild

a few ducks That landed in a swimming pool where i used to work. 2 are on my wall and one is on my dads wall :wink:

Had a bald eagle that had a broken wing took it immediatly to friends to get fixed(this one did recover)

Animals
a few baby javalina. buddy shot a mom not knowing it and we found babys that were less than a few hours old. He took them home and bottle fed them then kept them for a year or so(they were meaner than crap) he let them go on mcdowel mountain.

Caught a baby Antelope up in seligman that was maybe 5-7 hours or so old, 2 coyotes tried to get mom while giving birth. Killed one yote other took off. then on our return trip we saw 3 yotes playing with what looked like a jack rabbit. upon looking through scope to shoot yotes we found it to be a baby Antelope. Killed the three Yotes, when and check out lope looked fine but was completely exhausted( had a few bite marks) we hung out with the baby( far enough but close enough for rifle range) until the sun went down then mom was always nearby. then the next morning mom and baby were still together. that night when we left they were still together.

Squirrel: Tried to shove one in my wife's Purse over at montezuma's castle one day. worked pretty good until I started walking with it. had to let it go LOL

Fish.

Bass
catfish
Bluegills

The bluegills were the most aggresive of all my oscars backed down to the bluegills. we had a 150 gal tank. had the fish for years. every 3 days we bought 6 dozen gold fish to feed them. it was weird the bluegils and bass actually started tinting orange just like the oscars. sold tank to a dentist and he kept all the fish.

Delw

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Ned02 - My point is since we all abide by the AzG&F laws and know we can not transport live fish I'm assuming there's some place in town that sells bass legally???

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Cool Bass

He did bring it home from the lake. When he got home he shocked it back to life with his depthfinder and started CPR.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I got mine from the golf course, so its all totally illegal! Its fun to watch him eat though. He is trained like a little puppy...he sees me get the green net out and he knows he is about to get something to eat. Its crazy!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Bayou said:
Ned02 - My point is since we all abide by the AzG&F laws and know we can not transport live fish I'm assuming there's some place in town that sells bass legally???
I knew what your point was Bill. I was just yanking your chain.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
JasonR -- you might want to ponder your legality a bit further. Take, transport, possession, and stocking all are covered by AZ laws and rules that AGFD enforces. For a definitive answer about the legality of possessing a live largemouth taken from a golf course pond, and transported live, sans permit of any kind, call your nearest Game Ranger (= Wildlife Manager), and keep your checkbook handy. Release that puppy alive and you'll need another check. Jim Warnecke of AGFD's Region 6 Office (928-978-9400) is a bottomless source of accurate information on this subject. He is also a Game Ranger. He may even accept Visa or MasterCard (but probably not American Express or Diner's).

Bottom line: do not transport, possess, or release live fish unless you have checked in advance to ensure that you will be doing so pursuant to law.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Um, I was totally kidding about having a bass! As for buying one, I heard a while back some of the oriental stores around the bay area had live LMB for sale, but I think they got busted.
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JasonR -- Sometimes it's not possible to tell when someone is joking in a post. I figured it best to warn you of possible problems, in case you were serious. In any event, the laws differ from state to state and what you saw in the Bay area probably does not apply directly anywhere else. [I know things I've seen in the Bay Area while visiting there sure would not play well in Peoria, but that's a different story!] . In Arizona ,there are differences in permitting and lawful activities between commercial use and non-commerical (private) use of wildlife. A restaurant can often do things in terms of transport and possession that a private individual cannot do without special license. Some of the differences hinge on the source (e.g. another commercvial outlet, such as a fish farm, vs. a golf course pond or public water). It can be pretty complicated, and that's why I generally refer folks to a commission officer for interpretation when it comes to legal issue. I'll leave it to you to explain this to Franklin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Franklin.
I was waiting for someone from G&F to answer this.

you have to remember while we think it wont hurt anything or our intentions are good (meaning we put a few in a aquairum) they have to stick by the law. The law is there for a reason and a pretty good one at that.

Think about some guy throwing a couple of hundred peacock bass in his pool and then dumping then in a lake(like pleasant) when he gets tired of them or for his fishing pleasure.

Basically this was done with northern pike at parker lake( a good example)

The law is there to protect from such things happening be it 1 or 1 million fish.

Same thing with animals and birds( I knew I was wrong)

How about a bunch of oscars getting into the lake in a few years they would devistate the whole lake. they breed fast and are very aggressive.

Maybe that largemouth in someones fishtank got some kinda tropical fish virus now you let it go and wham you whiped out a whole population maybe even more since the lakes flow through canals and such.

or that largemouth in your fish tank you released ate a tropical fish for dinner that was carring eggs or young and when it pass's its released into the lake you let it go in.

While it sounds kinda silly to outlaw such a thing when you go looking into it its a very good idea to make sure such things are outlawed.

Delw

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's also against the law to speed and roll through stop signs - BIG DEAL! We all do it and we all break the law sometimes...But that doesn't make us hardened criminals! Hell, I can buy fingerling bass right over the internet, So just calm down and tell Jason how happy you are for him and give him advice on how to properly care for it.

Pete Rawlings

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know you were just kidding about having a bass but,how big is the tank you have him in? :wink: and the water, is it lake water?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts