Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
fishing was alright, my culem rite scale said 8.15oz.
abf scale said 6.97oz., gonna have to check the scale out, is that normal? dropshotted all our fish, no bites after 11:00 am.
had to leave right after the tourney, partner was really sick.
i`ll be checking there website to see if we cut a check.
i heard of 10lbs. and an 11 lbs., nothing extrodinary though.
johnny

p.s. those guys at abf are some really nice guys

·
Registered
355 Posts
fished abf apache. placed 5th w/ 10.44 (thought we had 12+) scale seem to be off but if it was it was off for everyone. 13+ won it and everyone we talked to worked their asses off for their weight. also fish could have been released better. tourney has great sponsers and does have a great group of guys working it. great payout & catered food also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apache Tourney

I wasn't in the tourney, but I watched most of the weigh in. As I watched, I noticed that many of the "big fish" being weighed looked a lot larger than what was being recorded. At one point, a fish was weighed as 2.87 lbs. The angler stated that the fish was definitely not 2.87. I peeked in and looked...commented to the guy next to me that it was more like a 4.....anyway, the scale was reset and the fish was re-weighed. It was now recorded as a 3.96. The difference is 1.1 lbs or about 1 lb 1.5 ounces. My observation is that everyone weighing after that reset was 1.1 lbs greater than those previous. I have participated in several weigh-ins with the bass club I belong to...and resetting the scale is a huge no-no....but when I asked myself what I would have done in that situation....I couldn't answer. There's no telling when that error in the scale came about, but I'm sure there is an action to best mitigate such an occurrence.....one I'd like to know in case our club is ever faced with such an issue.

Bottom line is, the folks that run that tourney are top notch and I'm sure they'll do what it takes to make it right with anyone who may have suffered from the scale thing. Also....because I don't know the exact procedure for how they conduct the weigh in...I may be totally off base here.

Regards,

BassTrix

·
Registered
119 Posts
delw, what were the issues you heard?
I just read the post where they recalibrated the scale halfway through weigh in. hmmmm...... don`t sound right to me.
i just checked my new scale at poncho`s bait and tackle in tucson
it measured the same as the owners.

johnny

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
i guess i won`t bitch unless i see that i lost a check by less
than a pound johnny

·
Registered
355 Posts
the guy doing the weighing is definately a stand-up guy. the scale wasn't recalibrated (that has to be done on a bench in the proper shop) it was re-zeroed out. the fish that was weighed definately weighed lbs. smaller than what it was. basstrix witnessed it and i was 3 poeple behind. all big fish and bags before and after the re-zeroing seemed to be more than what the scale was reading. that's is all i can add and i'm sure it will be alleviated by the fish-off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the guy running the scales is a stand-up guy, he needs to stand up and admit he screwed up and make it right some how. I know the scales were donkey kong becouse on my call-em-right I had just over nine pounds with big fish that weighed 4.8, they gave me only 2.28 for big fish and for a total weight of just under 7 pounds. I know I was not in the running to win the derby, but not knowing where you should have finished SUCKS. People say you should have said something, it's hard to say something when he`s throwing the fish over a ten foot wall as he reads off the weight. All in all fishing was ok, the weigh in was run like crap-the worst I`ve ever seen. JB

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Good job Johnny, d-shot, and Bass Trix! At least you guys caught fish and had some to weigh in. I'm just starting out on my tourney journey. 1st one is the MBC at Pleasant this weekend. The weather should be interesting.

·
Registered
512 Posts
HEY DELW, I WAS THERE AT APACHE FOR THE TOURNEY, TOOK THE FAMILY THERE FOR A CAMPIN TRIP, IN FACT WE WERE AWAKEND BRIGHT AND EARLY. WE HAD THE CAMPSITE RIGHT NEXT TO TH BOAT RAMP THEY WERE LAUNCHING FROM. I GOT UP AND STARTED CHECKING OUT THE ACTION, AFTER THEY WERE FINISHED THE GUYS FROM ABF APPOLIGIZED FOR WAKING US UP, I TOLD THEM THAT IT WAS OK, NOTHING LIKE GETTING UP TO A GOOD OL AZ BASS TOURNEY. THEY WERE CLASS ACTS DEL, AS FAR AS WHAT HAPPENED AT THE WEIGH IN I COULD NOT TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED, WE SAT AT OUR CAMPSITE AND WATCHED AS GUYS TOOK THERE SACKS TO GET WEIGHED. I DID NOTICE AFTER THE FISH WERE WEIGHED THEY WERE FLIPPIN THEM TO THE SIDE OF THE RAMP THEY WERE ON , AND LET ME TELL YOU IT WAS MORE THAN 10 FEET AS MENTIONED EARLIER IT WAS MORE LIKE 25 FEET! :oops: RELEASE COULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED BETTER!

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
There a good bunch of guys.. I fished in tournys that these guys ran is its a class act.

The scale issue was something I heard and the fish issue was definatly something I heard. I was more suprised that more people were ticked about the fish deal than the weight problem

On ABF defence I heard they were told they had to weigh-in where they did and were not allowed on the beach, Thats gotta suck being told to change weigh-in spots just before weigh-in.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everybody keeps saying they run a class act and that they are stand up people. In tournament fishing there are two critical factors to make it a class act, 1) a fast and efficient blast-off 2) good scales and a weigh master that knows the "ins and outs" of tournament fishing. I know there's a lot of guys on this board that fish their tournaments for fun; but when I fish a tournament, I take it seriously. And in my eyes, it takes more than a free hot dog to be a class act.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Your right but for the 200+ tournys with no problems you dont hear very much about then they have 2 problems and bam.

I take my tournys seriously also. if that happened and I was fishing it I dont know what I would do. I know I would be pretty upset.

But on the other hand think about this you got 80+ guys chewing your butt and you make a decision to fix one thing not thinking it would affect something else.
Think about it you got a guy saying the weights are wrong and you goto reset your scale to check his fish again, I bet that wont happen again.

Like I said I would hate to be in his shoes, I am sure he is just sick about it.

but what do you (not you persay just people in general) do in a situation like that? i

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I would have done...Well let's see... If it was me, before I bit off more than I could handle, I would cover all bases with back-up plans. That's me, but I don't claim to be a weigh master. I don't see this kind of stuff happening in other tournaments, not even a stupid Wednesday nighter. There is only one guy to blame for this, and personally I think it's due to a lack of experience.

·
Registered
355 Posts
sounds like guest won't be fishing abf anymore? good luck dude! oh by the way. it's appearant you haven't fished tourneys assoc. w/ these individuals otherwise you'd be a little more in the know of character. there was a blunder but remember this guest if the scale ripped your weight you weren't alone (48+ teams minus the one team that the scale was zeroed for) i'd say that was a fair ripping! ltr. :wink:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now if the scale was rezoed, or recalibrated (is there a difference?)
would`nt that change everybody`s weight after it was rezeroed, and not just one. I`m a rookie, so enlighten me.

and honestly I am a rookie, 2 years of bass tournaments
that`s 2 years of bass fishing period.

Johnny

1 - 20 of 29 Posts