Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyday, I am either killing or finding dead bees in my house. Usually about 4 or 5. I have been on the roof(flat), and there is no sign of a hive anywhere. I am not even sure how they are getting in. It's definately not through a window or a door. I have checked and rechecked that possibility. Dont know how or even why they would even want to. Any experience with this sort of problem?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just whatever spacing that is caused by the floor on the 2nd story. No extra space at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would think that there would have to be a small gap for running pipes and electrical. If bees had found there way in there, they could beentering the house through the holes for ceiling fans and light fixtures on the bottom floor. Are you seeing them upstairs or down?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you seen any flying around outside? The usually travel to and from the hive in straight lines, so if you do see any around outside, you may be able to see where their hive is at.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not that I could find. It's a mystery. What perplexes me the most is why would they want to come in here. I know its hot, but bees have fans attached on each side of them that should keep them cool.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you have an attic? If so, I would check there.
Hey Bug; I cannot recall the documentary but just saw a show that indicated Africanized bees have all but taken over in AZ. I want to say it was the “AZ Wildlife Views” show… The claim is that there are no longer any honey bees in AZ, but instead it is now primarily killer bees. Is this true? I knew killer bees were here, and it was next to impossible for a mere mortal to tell, but I did not realize that pretty much everything is now Africanized???

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is hard to tell. They have definately all bred together. The KILLER BEE thing is a little over-played if you ask me.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
You might try the old trick of taking a empty glass and putting the open end against a wall and stick your ear to the other end. I'd be checking for buzzing in the walls. Bees are looking for comfort, that being a source of protection for the hive and a source for water. They do not need much of an opening to get into a place where you do not need them.

One of their favorite places to build a hive is in a sprinkler valve box. That small opening is ideal for an entry/exit point. The area is usually cool and protected and has a source of moisture. We always had a problem where I worked with several hives being built one after the other.

The guy who lives behind me twice had a 50K colony building a massive hive in his outside garden tool-shed a couple years back. He had a leaking outside faucet and this gave the bees what they needed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You might try the old trick of taking a empty glass and putting the open end against a wall and stick your ear to the other end. I'd be checking for buzzing in the walls. Bees are looking for comfort, that being a source of protection for the hive and a source for water. They do not need much of an opening to get into a place where you do not need them.

One of their favorite places to build a hive is in a sprinkler valve box. That small opening is ideal for an entry/exit point. The area is usually cool and protected and has a source of moisture. We always had a problem where I worked with several hives being built one after the other.

The guy who lives behind me twice had a 50K colony building a massive hive in his outside garden tool-shed a couple years back. He had a leaking outside faucet and this gave the bees what they needed.
+1. I was going to say check the house for buzzing and check where water is present. If you are finding that many in your house then they are somewhere in your house or very close to it. Good luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts