Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a spinner guy but since I am trying to learn about bass fishing and get into it more I thought I would get a baitcasting setup.

Here is what I have, I know it's old merchandise but has barely been used. It's used, got it cheap from a guy who was going to learn bass fishing and never got around to it. Do you guys think this setup will work OK for a noob to learn on?

Here's what I got, it's a Shimano Curado CU-201 reel and a Falcon medium-heavy pole:

I have not tried them out yet but already I can feel a difference. I have been using an Ugly Stick spinning rod which is supposed to be medium-heavy, but this Falcon pole feels WAY stiffer and lighter too. The Falcon compared to the Ugly Stick just feels like night and day. It's like the Falcon in comparison is light as a feather and super stiff. I don't know if this is good or bad thing, I need to fish with it and see :)

Anyway just wondering if this is going to be decent stuff to learn on or outdated junk lol... Either way I can start learning baitcasting...

·
Registered
192 Posts
good reel to start with, cant go wrong with a curado. keep with it and you will get it, there will be frustration but its all worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey dumb question, reel didn't come with a manual, anyone know, how do I tell if the spool has enough or too much line on it?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Great Rod and Great Reel. Nice quality combo you got there. If you haven't re-spooled the line since you got it I would suggest doing that. Also since it looks like you could use more line may as well just go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
HellBore....dude, do ur hwk for an hr then take 15 mins and practice in the backyard....then back to studying for an hr....not only will it clear ur head from skool but ur also learning new skills

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
nice set up for a starter. You do need to get some more line on the spool though. Have filled to just a hair below the spool edge as this will make the reel more productive and casts easier and farther. Put 12 lb test on it as it will be easier to learn to cast with a lot less backlashing. VERY VERY IMPORTANT----- Make sure that your spool tension brake (small round knob behind the drag star) is properly set. You do this by holding the rod at about a 45 degree angle, disengage the spool and allow your lure to slowly fall to the ground without running over (backlashing) when the lure hits the ground---in other words, the spool should stop turning when the lure hits ground, water etc. adjust the spool brake accordingly to allow this---turning the spool brake clockwise will increase tension on the spool and a counter clockwise action will reduce the tension.

good luck and keep after it---practice practice practice

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
For the beginner make sure not to overfill the spool. Run it till its about 1/4 down on the spool. As you fill the spool more your backlashes increase, as you get better fill it up to 1/8 before the top and she will fling out some baits.. I would also start with mono as the stretch will give you a little added forgiveness.

Keep at it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Great reel to learn on. You won't regret that purchase and will probably keep it for a long time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts