Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, what is your best rod, reel and line combination for DEEP CRANKING ONLY. I am talking about the big DD22's, Bombers etc that wear your ass down cranking em in all day. Is there a combo out there that you have used (rod type, make, length and action, reel type, gear ratio and line type and test) that makes cranking these big plugs a breeze and does not wear you out??

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Loomis CBR847 w/ 5:1 gear ratio Team Diawa Advantage

Don't let people tell you that you don't need a low gear ratio. That is BS. If you want to throw DD22s all day long, do yourself a favor and get a 5:1 ratio real. Lower gears are better because of the resistance of the lures. It works like a winch. You have less fatigue and don't feel the resistance as much with lower gear (like riding a 12 speed bike uphill, you use the lower gear to make it easier). People on here are going to tell you just reel slower with a 6:1 or 7:1 reel...all that will do is bring the lure in slower, it will not help with fatigue or resistance.

Also, get a reel that fits good in your hands. I bought the Advatage reels because they are low profile, light weight and I can get them on eBay for under $100.

As far as the Loomis rod I use, I love the action, but the handle is a little short for me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I use a Performance tackle cranking rod with a Shimano Calcutta TE DC 5:1 , with 15lb Sunline Defier. If you want me to put up some pics of the rod I will it is a bitchin custom that the hook up had, it has swept guides and is splined for sweep sets.

Talk about throwing cranks a mile!!!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Loomis CBR847 w/ 5:1 gear ratio Team Diawa Advantage

Don't let people tell you that you don't need a low gear ratio. That is BS. If you want to throw DD22s all day long, do yourself a favor and get a 5:1 ratio real. Lower gears are better because of the resistance of the lures. It works like a winch. You have less fatigue and don't feel the resistance as much with lower gear (like riding a 12 speed bike uphill, you use the lower gear to make it easier). People on here are going to tell you just reel slower with a 6:1 or 7:1 reel...all that will do is bring the lure in slower, it will not help with fatigue or resistance.

Also, get a reel that fits good in your hands. I bought the Advatage reels because they are low profile, light weight and I can get them on eBay for under $100.

As far as the Loomis rod I use, I love the action, but the handle is a little short for me.
+1 on the CBR847 its a very good rod; used it to catch a bunch of fish at Falcon including a double (5lber and a 3lber)...:biggrin:

Only negative on it is the shorter handle and it doesn't have the forgiving nature of glass (Good glass rods are Lamiglas 705 and I hear good things about Dobyns rods as well).

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
might be a little old school but a falcon 7' mark davis signature rod m.h. fiberglass, abu garcia 5500 series reel 4.8 ratio if my memory is right, 10 to 14 lb. p-line depending on depth you want to reach. you can crank all day long with dd22' and never get beat up.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
right now I am rocking a 7'6" BPS crankin stick with a 250 calcutta and 12 lb vicious mono. I added a BOS crankin handle to the reel, and some reel grips.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Boatcop made mine and works awesome. He gave it more butt so you could tuck it in to your side. E5 curado

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
fliping stick quantum accurist that when i throw dd 22's which is like 1 times every 3 or 4 trips depending on the lake,i like to drill the hooks in them when they do hit it

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ok guys, what is your best rod, reel and line combination for DEEP CRANKING ONLY. I am talking about the big DD22's, Bombers etc that wear your ass down cranking em in all day. Is there a combo out there that you have used (rod type, make, length and action, reel type, gear ratio and line type and test) that makes cranking these big plugs a breeze and does not wear you out??

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Hey QUANTUM,

Besides throwing swimbaits, crankbaiting is one of my all time favorite techniques and you'd be hard pressed to catch me without at least one deep diver tied on. Usually there are several rods on the deck with a variety of crankbaits strung up. I have a couple favorite rod/reel combo's that definitely fill the bill for me (Play on words....LOL!).

If you're looking for an economical rod/reel combo that won't break the bank and does an awesome job with DD22's and other deep divers like the bigger Bombers and the Fat Free Shads....The St. Croix Mojo 7' MBC70MHM 10-20 LB, 3/8-1 oz., Crankbait rod is absolutely a sweet rod and it retails for a ridiculous $90, you won't be disappointed. It has a moderate action that is really nice when you're connected to a big bass, and you don't have to worry about pulling out hooks when they surge at the boat. This rod won't wear you out throwing big baits all day, and if you like the Norman DLN's, it's a pleasure throwing those with it also.

Pair this rod up with your favorite 5.1:1 retrieve ratio reel and you'll have a winning combo. I have mine paired up with an ancient Shimano Bantam Citica 5.1:1 retrieve ratio reel that I've had for like 15-18 years and it's just a joy to fish. The bass at Rosey have certainly put a bend in this rod many, many times. One note, if I'm gonna be fishing DLN's allot, I will switch out the slower 5.1:1 reel to a 7.1:1 high speed reel and burn those babies!

Now if your so inclined to invest a little more $$ into a really nice upper end crankbait combo, then I would definitely say there's absolutely no way to go wrong with the Dobyns Champion series 805CB RM, 8' 1pc. 10-20lb, 3/8-1 1/2oz, Med/Hvy Mod/Fast Action Randy McAbee Signature Crankbait Rod $239.99. Some say this rod is the Creme de la Creme of deep diver crankbaiting sticks and I don't disagree with that opinion.

This rod was designed by master crankbait guru Randy McAbee. Randy's favorite cranks are the Norman DD22's (He loves all the Norman's for that fact but the DD22's are his bread and butter baits) and this specific rod was built just for throwing those DD22's and other large cranks. This rod is 8' long and will throw them a frickin country mile! If you'd like to check this rod out a little closer, go to the Tackle Warehouse website and you can see it in action by watching the video's that they have of Randy chucking cranks....Yep their Normans and he makes no bones about it!

Again, pair this up with a nice 5.1:1 retrieve speed reel of your liking and you'll have a combo that will not wear you out fishing the big deep divers.

As far as line goes, I mostly use 10-17lb test depending on the prevalent cover, water conditions, and desired running depth I'm wanting the baits to work. Water clarity, water temperature, and type of structure being fished will dictate whether I use standard mono type lines or fluorocarbon....The clearer the water the more I lean towards fluorocarbon!

If I could make one other suggestion...Invest a little money and change out the factory hooks before you ever fish your new baits. If your baits don't already come equipped with premium Gamakatsu, Owner, or VMC's, you will increase your hookup ratio SIGNIFICANTLY!

I remove the new factory hooks and donate them....I'll let you guess who I give them too.....Wanna go fishing? :blink: If you have older baits...Do yourself a huge favor and change the hooks out right away, don't risk losing anymore fish to bites you never felt due to inferior hooks.....I like em' real sticky! I have a box that has nothing but high end treble hooks, Owner Hyper-Wire split rings, Lucky Craft Oval split rings, hook bonnets/covers, and a pair of Texas Tackle split ring pliers (The best on the planet!).

A couple other things to ponder as you explore the joys of crankbaiting a little deeper. I always carry in the boat or tackle bag if I'm back seating it, a small double AA Berkley battery operated hook sharpener and a couple different hook hones or steel's. These save a ton of time if I'm in the middle of a hot crankbait bite and I don't have time to change out hooks. These are great tools for touching up your hooks after you've been getting bit or repetitively digging the baits into the lake bottom.

Speaking of lake bottom, I also carry a Hound-Dog lure retriever tied to 75' of 1/8" parachute cord and a DotLine 5 section expandable pole lure retriever that expands to 18'. The expandable DotLine is awesome and will free most of your stuck baits in a flash. I've lost very few baits since using these two lure retrievers, and at the cost of hardbaits these days, it's worth the minor investment to get at least a Hound-Dog...Less than a $10 investment with the rope!

Good luck chucking and winding and I wish you many large crankbait fish!

BBI

:D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A basic choice for deep CBs is rod action - soft fiberglass or stiffer graphite / composite. Some of the best BASS & FLW CB studs use the soft rod, so it deserves serious consideration.

The fiberglass rod is way different from graphite in how it casts and the feel of the retrieve & not everyone likes it. Before parting with $s, maybe one of your buds has one and will let you give it a test drive.

Graphite or fiberglass, longer is better. Gets that big CB farther out there so it runs deeper on the retrieve.

Frank

·
Registered
407 Posts
+2 On the Loomis CBR847. Awesome rod and with a Curado E5 you can throw it all day. Cast a counrty mile and easy on your hands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts