Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking a gay bass question, but has anyone fished Big Lake this time of year? I'll be in that area for Thanksgiving and wanted to wet a line even if it's for gay bass. Any info on where to fish from the shore, what lures/flies to use would be appreciated. If you prefer you can email me: [email protected]

Thanks

G

·
Gaybass

I live in Pinetop, so I know the area lakes fairly well (at least I'd like to think so).

For trout, a great rig is to throw what is essentially a stationary carolina rig. Slip on an egg sinker & tie to a swivel. Then tie on about an 18 inch leader (no heavier than 4 lb test) and use a night crawler inflated with air. Get one of those little bloworm bottles. This rig also can used to fish powerbait.

For lures, Z-rays, Kastmasters & Panther Martins are proven catchers, but the best I've found this year is a green & orange rebel crawfish.

Also, I think it's well worth to spend $6 and get an Apache permit. Your best chance for a big brown is at Hawley, Horseshoe Ciengega and Reservation lakes.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good post Larry. My favorite Apache trout lake was always Pacheta. I know there wasn't many browns to speak of but I liked the solitude and the numbers of quality rainbows. Later...

G

·
Gaybass/White Mountains

People do ice fish, but it gets a little dicey for lakes below 8000 feet. Sunrise Lake at 9000 feet may be the best bet for trying through the ice. By the time it's thick enough, you probably won't be able to get to Big Lake or Reservation Lake.

It's all good if you're willing to brave the cold, but this year I'm of the mind to get some heavy gear & start chucking some big ole' trout-type swim baits for toad bass down at Canyon and Saguaro. But hey, some folks don't mind being cold.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have fished Big lake this time of year, and have had great success with it. When I fished from shore I fished at the far end and I think there is a baot dock there too. I usually use power bait but look foward to trying the flaoting worm idea. For power bait I always use the turbo in pink lemonade color. For lures just use the regular panther martins or z-rays. For flies this time of year you can be successfull with most nymphs with/without a beadhead, but I prefer with beadheads. Also Olive woolybuggers or semi-seal leeches work great.
Hope this helps my website might have some more info on it.
Justin
http://hometown.aol.com/drm41487/myhomepage/huntfish.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We drove down to Big Lake hoping for some good fishing and found a frozen lake. Apparently it froze during the first few days of the week. The previous weekend the bite was still hot. I guess we were a week late.

G

·
That does not mean it will not thaw again, with some warmer weather expected this week, the ice could come off again for a few days or weeks. Don't give up yet!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm back in Phoenix now and won't be headed back to the White Mountains til probably next summer at the soonest. What I need to do now is get me one of those big swim baits and find some time to get over to canyon. Maybe I'll try my fly rod over at Tempe town Lake for some stocked gay bass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts