Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am doing a deck extension on my ranger,i am using two 3/4in plywood screw together to make a 1 1/2 thick.my question what do i need to apply on this wood to protect it from rotting?do i need to wrap it with fiberglass or can i just apply water sealant before putting the carpet?i read some previous thread that fishman420 posted and delw recommended to put some fiberglass on the edge to prevent it from rotting.any tips guys will be appreciated.thanks NOEL G

·
Registered
515 Posts
Should use pressure treated plywood. Made to resist rotting/moisture.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
damn dude, where did this idea come from? I'll call ya later and will help ya do this if ya want and you can help me recarpet and extend mine:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
762 Posts
That sounds heavy. Why not use 10ga aluminum? I'm sure someone one this board can TIG it up for you cheap. It will never rot and will be alot lighter.

If you stay with the wood get some resin and hardner and coat everything a couple of times. Fiberglass matt would be any overkill IMHO.

Westy

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 with Del I did one 15 years ago that is still solid. I used 3/4" marine grade ply and coated all sides of it with fiberglass resin - matting is overkill. Be sure to seal any holes you put in it with resin as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts