Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have ever had your boat repainted/gelcoat? I have a 18' Laser and I am thinking about getting her a fresh look just basic white. Does anyone know how much I could be looking to spend? Or anyone in the east valley that does it that is reputable?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
what about doing a vinyl decal like they do to advertise vehicles and what the tourny boats do?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Call this guy and tell him you are a zoner. He's a really good freind of mine and can paint anything ( Brian Rice @ 623-932-4389 ext 190 )..

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
on a 18 foot boat white being the cheapest your looking at 5k-10k for gel coat including buffing and finish work and 9times out of 10 you have to have it completely striped thats both top and bottom.

do it yourself your looking at 800-1000 in supplies spraying is the easy part takes about an hour or so for the entire boat. the wetsanding and buffing after words takes about 3-5 full days unless your very good with shooting gelcoat.
shooting the bottom of the hull is a bitch unless you turn the boat upside down.

if you have a white boat now you can more than likely wetsand it and buff it out and it will look almost as good as new.

I forgot to mention if your doing a color change ie boat is now blue or red and you want white toss in another 1-2k

for my 22 foot cajun compleye stripped, I was quoted from 12k-18k to go from white to yellow ( yellow is a hard color to shoot) for doing it in the same color white with red stripes I was quoted 10k-15k.

to give you a idea one consol on my gambler I was quoted 1-3k with most quotes running about 1500 and it was only a 8" section of the gambler consol and the dash panel and they guarenteed it wouldnt match.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea prob. not going to happen The boat is a red/copper color right now the bottom sides have some ruff Im assuming oxidation I havent tried to wet sand and buff it yet maybe I could give that a go. I am one of those really anal guys that likes things to look nice even if its 20 years old.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Yea prob. not going to happen The boat is a red/copper color right now the bottom sides have some ruff Im assuming oxidation I havent tried to wet sand and buff it yet maybe I could give that a go. I am one of those really anal guys that likes things to look nice even if its 20 years old.
Wet sanding a glitter based color is pretty much out of the question, especially on that old of a boat, as when you wet sand it you will sand the glitter off and it will turn silver and look like crap.

I know what you mean, I have a 96 gambler here that could have been running last year however the consol looks like crap and I want it done Perfect correctly and matched. the entire gel coat with the exception of that consol and the very back looks show room its flawless.
mayeb one of these days I will start working on it again cause the tourny season starts in oct.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
personally thats what I would do. use it if it floats. I hjave fished out of some pretty damn ugly boats that I owned, one boat was one of those things you would only go out at night and stay away from the lights. but hey it floated of coarse providing the bilge pump was working ( it has a 3foot long crack in the bottom and took on water pretty darn good.
have one of the detail guys buff it out it will make alot of difference.
dont waste your money on a wrap , as they dont last that long 1-2 years and your boat isnt really worth the expense, unless ofcourse its what you want.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah my father in law is a airbrush artist and paint and body guy by trade. I asked him about painting it and he said sure bring it over lol but I dont want to make it worse than it already is. lol My wife is a graphic designer for a sign co and she says a average wrap cost about 2500 for a half to 3/4 and 3500 and up for a full wrap on a passenger vehicle. She said with the boat you would waste more vinyl than use on the boat. I guess Im rolling in a ugly boat. haha

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
As Del stated, it's up to you if you want to put in that kind of investment. With some time, a bit of work and the right products, a good cleaning can make a big improvement.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have already buffed it out with 3M stuff my father in law gave me it made a big differance but its on the bottom and sides just under the cab that looks like crap. Where the bunks ride and rub the boat its beautiful. lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I meant cap. But if you look in my profile at my pics posted in the gallery you can see what im talking about.

·
2 FACED Spammer
1,564 Posts
on a 18 foot boat white being the cheapest your looking at 5k-10k for gel coat including buffing and finish work and 9times out of 10 you have to have it completely striped thats both top and bottom.

do it yourself your looking at 800-1000 in supplies spraying is the easy part takes about an hour or so for the entire boat. the wetsanding and buffing after words takes about 3-5 full days unless your very good with shooting gelcoat.
shooting the bottom of the hull is a bitch unless you turn the boat upside down.

if you have a white boat now you can more than likely wetsand it and buff it out and it will look almost as good as new.

I forgot to mention if your doing a color change ie boat is now blue or red and you want white toss in another 1-2k

for my 22 foot cajun compleye stripped, I was quoted from 12k-18k to go from white to yellow ( yellow is a hard color to shoot) for doing it in the same color white with red stripes I was quoted 10k-15k.

to give you a idea one consol on my gambler I was quoted 1-3k with most quotes running about 1500 and it was only a 8" section of the gambler consol and the dash panel and they guarenteed it wouldnt match.
+1, probably cost around 200-300 dollars if you had someone do it. About the same if you did it yourself, that is, if you don't already have the buffer, compounds and pads. As delw said, if your boat is white already it will buff out and look good as new.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The boat in the gallery looks like it may have been painted before, by the look of the gunwalls and console. It may be why you can't get it to look right now.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I had an old Ranger that I wet sanded,started with 600 grit,then 800 and then 1200, then used buffing compound and finally fine cut cleaner then wax. As long as you don't try to take off too much it should be doable unless it is completely trashed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts