Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
on a 18 foot boat white being the cheapest your looking at 5k-10k for gel coat including buffing and finish work and 9times out of 10 you have to have it completely striped thats both top and bottom.

do it yourself your looking at 800-1000 in supplies spraying is the easy part takes about an hour or so for the entire boat. the wetsanding and buffing after words takes about 3-5 full days unless your very good with shooting gelcoat.
shooting the bottom of the hull is a bitch unless you turn the boat upside down.

if you have a white boat now you can more than likely wetsand it and buff it out and it will look almost as good as new.

I forgot to mention if your doing a color change ie boat is now blue or red and you want white toss in another 1-2k

for my 22 foot cajun compleye stripped, I was quoted from 12k-18k to go from white to yellow ( yellow is a hard color to shoot) for doing it in the same color white with red stripes I was quoted 10k-15k.

to give you a idea one consol on my gambler I was quoted 1-3k with most quotes running about 1500 and it was only a 8" section of the gambler consol and the dash panel and they guarenteed it wouldnt match.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Yea prob. not going to happen The boat is a red/copper color right now the bottom sides have some ruff Im assuming oxidation I havent tried to wet sand and buff it yet maybe I could give that a go. I am one of those really anal guys that likes things to look nice even if its 20 years old.
Wet sanding a glitter based color is pretty much out of the question, especially on that old of a boat, as when you wet sand it you will sand the glitter off and it will turn silver and look like crap.

I know what you mean, I have a 96 gambler here that could have been running last year however the consol looks like crap and I want it done Perfect correctly and matched. the entire gel coat with the exception of that consol and the very back looks show room its flawless.
mayeb one of these days I will start working on it again cause the tourny season starts in oct.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
personally thats what I would do. use it if it floats. I hjave fished out of some pretty damn ugly boats that I owned, one boat was one of those things you would only go out at night and stay away from the lights. but hey it floated of coarse providing the bilge pump was working ( it has a 3foot long crack in the bottom and took on water pretty darn good.
have one of the detail guys buff it out it will make alot of difference.
dont waste your money on a wrap , as they dont last that long 1-2 years and your boat isnt really worth the expense, unless ofcourse its what you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.