Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
ok i'll be first. my first thought is to turn which ever way to miss him,but what if he turns the same way? i am totally dumfounded by this one. i can picture in my mind the 30ft cig boat that tried this with me a havasu and we both let out of the throttle and turned to the right,as in he went to my left side and i to his left side. i don't know if that was the right action or not, but it worked, thank god. ok, go ahead and slam me for such a dumbass reply. see ya doug

·
Premium Member
34,659 Posts
Doug you did it right its just the other guy didnt, so liek you said what the heck do you do?

I floor it and go the opposite way Oh wait its already floored.

I believe the Law states you are requiered to stay on the your right ie going counterclockwise circle.

However what the law doesnt state is what the heck are you suppose to do if the other guy is in the wrong.

I usually make hard turns just so they know which way I am going.

Delw

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Steer right and pass in a way to leave more than 60 feet between passing boats (when above wake speed (but still at a reasonable speed... :wink: )). Maintaining a "clockwise" direction of travel will typically provide for this but when it doesn't, veer right (starboard...) and leave safe room.

By the way, do you know why it's starboard and port is called port???

·
Registered
667 Posts
In this situation neither boat is stand on. Both vessel are give-way. Same as a vehicle you pass left to left or port to port.
Mr. Boat Cop, I just completed a boating safety class a month ago. No, not because I was order to by a judge, but because I just purchased a new boat and I wanted to reduce my insurance rate and refresh my boating saftey skills. I will tell you, I was totally surprised as to what was taught and what I learned. After seeing some of the people that were in the class and some of the question that were ask, I think everybody needs to take one of these classes. I have a lot to say but I don't type fast enough to type it all tonight. Mitch
P.S. I think the Boaters Guide should be in required in all boats, Like a life jacket, a throwable device, etc.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bullet DUDE, you get to be a dude now cause i like ya. I wish more people would take this class just because. It is cheap and very informative. Most of the people in the class were probably there because of tickets, "MINE". As for the boating guide, I hand them out like candy. On an average summer day I will make about 35+ stops, give out 15+ tickets and order at least 3 boats off of the water. In all of the tickets i wrote last year, 400+ watercraft citations i did not go to court once. this is because i took the time to explain the law to them and then give them the boating guide so they could see it in black and white. Over half of the people went to boating school and several of them came up to me and thanked me for giving them a reason to do boating school. they were like you, "It opens your eyes"

·
Registered
913 Posts
I agree with you Mitch. I took one of those classes a few years ago and was amazed at what I learned. I had also taken one online that didn't cover as much material. I believe everyone that operates a water craft of any type should be required to take these classes. Jeff

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The answer is turn right or starboard.

You guys are getting pretty good.

Dcoplan, you were right and it probably saved your life. You used common sence. if more people would do that the waters would be a whole lot safer!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.