Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Bustin Fish @ dawn/night/dusk

758 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Mikerizzle9 
#1 ·
Hey guys - Stupid question here, but have to ask anyway. Spent the night on the boat in a cove @ Rosey this weekend, and there were fish bustin the surface from the time I got there around dusk until we left the next morning around 10am.

I threw everything but the kitchen sink at them - mostly pop'rs and spinnerbaits plus some cranks and jerks - and not a single hit.

I thought I read on here somewhere though that the fish busting the surface are more likely carp than bass, but Im not sure that sounds right to me? What type of fish are typically busting the surface in the evenings/mornings @ rosey? What would you be throwin at em?

Thanks!

#4 ·
"busting the surface" and "jumping out of the water" are two different things. Carp jump, body comes completely out of the water and splash down; I wouldn't call that "busting". Bass very rarely, if ever, will completely come out of the water and "jump" unless hooked. They "bust the surface" chasing bait.

#5 ·
Bass very rarely, if ever, will completely come out of the water
Unless they're after the dragonflies. crazy jumping there! Threw a jig to a tree and it got caught over a branch, and the fish tried to get it hanging a foot over the water from the limb! Would've been tricky had he actually got it...

#7 ·
It's gonna be difficult to tell if you don't actually see the fish itself, or why it's breaking the surface. Like Catch'n said above me, if there's shad flying out of the water then you should be confident it's a predator going after them. If the fish sounds big as hell, it's probably carp. Throw some soft jerkbaits, somebody already mentioned bass assassins or try some zoom flukes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.