Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tied on a smaller buzzbait and tried it out today (thanks for the post Tadmo!). What rod do you all use and what line weight? I know my casting ability has a lot of limitations but I couldn't get that thing very far today. Was thinking maybe the buzzbait was too light for the line weight? I believe it was 12#. Should it be more like 8? Thanks all!

G

·
Hey nightcrawler what was the weight of the Buzz Bait and what kind of pole. Myself I like a 6 ft pole and 10 to 12 lb test.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You might want to try a heavier Buzz Bait for that long of a fishing pole NC. Will work a lot better and same as the guest I use a 6 FT fishing pole.

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Don't expect to be able to cast a buzz bait as far as you can cast a spook for example. Those blades provide a lot of wind resistance.

I use 10 # line on 6' 6" medium power Techna AV baitcaster rod with a curado reel. But then I don't throw small sizzy buzzbaits. :lol:

Are you using a spinning rod for the small buzzbait? Is it a medium or medium light rod?

If you can get that small buzz bait out there 30 or 35 feet its enough. Don't get me wrong, long, long casts are cool and make you feel good. But, whipping a super spook out there 30 yard or more won't do you any good if you can't set the hook because of line stretch.

One more thing, casting down wind helps a lot!

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Hey NC! 6'6" is fine. use any line over 10 pounds on a baitcaster. if you're using a spinning reel, you'll have to read the specs that are printed on the side of the spool. You do not want to go any heavier than 10 pound test on a spinning reel. the line has a tendency to peel off all by it's self while casting after the bait has landed.

I use a baitcasting reel with a 6'6"trigger rod loaded with 15 pound p-line. I know that flourocarbon line sinks, but my Johhny Morris reel keeps the line tight(fast retrieve ratio) to keep that buzzbait on top. the baitcaster also allows for a "soft" landing on the water because you are thumbing the spool and controlling the outgoing line.

I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with a baitcaster, but on Saguaro lake there is plenty of water to practice on. On Pleasant, you need to be a little more accurate or you'll wrap that sucker 4 times around a branch. So I use a spinning reel on Pleasant. Baitcaster on Saguaro.
I'm not suggesting to go out and buy a baitcaster, use what you have. Check the specs on your pole too. There should be a line and lure spec just above the handle. You could go heavier on the buzzbait. Also, is your line filled to the top of the spool or close to the top? If your spool is half-filled, that may affect your casting distance as well.
I like the Yamamoto buzzbaits. They're louder and the skirts are better than most.
Pray for Wayne & me, the MBC TMX is this Saturday. We're fishing against the best, d a , Delw, and few other rowdies that post on here. We only caught 27 fish yesterday, but it was cloudy and the weather was perfect. On Saturday, it's a whole new ballgame! Sunny and warm. :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

G

·
I use a med hvy and only 3/8 oz buzzbaits. Like da said dont cast it to far cause you will have a better chance of loosing the fish.

I use 12 floroclear, sometimes 10lb.

Delw

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Hey Rookieboy, I know you're new to tournament fishing so I'll go easy on ya. We weigh 'em, we don't count 'em.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
d a is right. you don't want that thing out there a mile either. By the time you pull the slack out, that thing is two feet under water and you can't set the hook. I like to keep the boat in 15 foot of water while casting as well. The buzzbait will land right on the waters edge. The bait will buzz along covering mostly shallow water, all the way out to 15 foot depth.
I forgot to tell you what type of rod I use. it's a medium heavy bass pro shops xps trigger rod .

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Thanks d a ! I appreciate that! I was working my way through all of those rats looking for grandma! 27 fish and they weighed collectively 29 pounds! Maybe a chili dog at the end of the day doesn't sound so bad as a prize after all. A $100 chili dog! :shock:

G

·
Oh yeah Da forgot to tell you .. since your a non boater and rookie you are requiered to tell boaters who ask where when and how you caught the fish.
Sorry after the first 6 tournys you dont have to tell anyone anymore. :wink:

Delw

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
We found them in the water, by the tree sticking up , adjacent to the cactus where the burro was laughing at us! oh ya, the sun was up and it was cloudy too! :wink:

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
6'6 Meduim Heavy, 10 pound test.......at least a 1/4 ounce bait, use a trailer hook, it will increase your catch rates......the more commotion the better........If a fish strikes and misses the bait immediately make another cast......buzzbait fish always seem to come back and get the bait again, if not throw a spinnerbait......if you want some good buzzbait practice, hit up your local golf course pond, that's how I really got good at fishing them.......... 8)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, actually went and looked at the rod :roll: and it's a 6' MH Daiwa Procaster. The buzzbait should be okay as it says 1/4 oz - 1 oz lure, 8-17#. It is a spinning rod (1/2 full Rookieboy). Don't have a decent baitcaster ......YET! So DA, my casts were okay according to your scenario and yes, the zara puppy does cast farther (you mean throwing against the wind doesn't improve your casting muscles? :lol: ). The problem was that by the time I got the bail closed and started cranking it was under water and took almost 1/2 the distance back to the boat before it was on top. So 1) maybe it really is time to invest in that baitcaster; 2) close the bail and begin cranking as the bait is falling, thus tightening the line and maybe makes for a softer landing instead of the SPLASH? or 3) all of the above

Thanks everyone for all the responses!

G

·
Casting a buzzbait on a baitcaster is a little harder than a spinning reel. due to wind resistance. if you dont have a curado or clunn or better dont due it stick with the spinning reel. one thing about a baitcaster you can reel faster with out moving the rod tip so much.

I would use a med rod for casting a 1/4 oz. buzzbait.

on a spinning reel you will have to reel them in pretty fast to get them on plane.
you want a 5:1 gear ratio at a min.. 6:1 is better, once it gets on plane you can slow your retrieve up.

when you first cast hold your rod at the 11:00-12:00 position so that the line is out of the water this will help it get on plane faster.

I wouldnt worry about the splash so much, it attracts attention.

Delw

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
more.......

a stradic works for the lighter buzzbaits, its pretty quick. Also, did anyone say anything about a trailer? I like a 5" grub, seems they hang on to the bait a little longer when they grab it if they feel that trailer...just something to think about.

·
Registered
355 Posts
hey nightcrawler, as you can see everyone has different tastes and feel for buzzbaits. the best advice you can get is experiment and practice.......practice.......practice. a combo that works for one individual may be a nightmare for another. givens for a buzzbait though - high ratio reel, med. fast action rod (gives on the strike and hookset but has a strong spine) line with no give (stretch) ex. - maxima or p-line mono/co-polymer, and very accurate casting. good luck.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:roll: I've still got a lot to learn but as long as I keep learning SOMETHING I'll be happy! I've got a couple jars of Uncle Josh so I'll have to try one of those. Just curious, anyone use trailers on a spoon before?

Del, yep that splash attracts alot of attention! None from the fish but you should have seen all the boats coming in to see what the heck was going on! LOL :lol:

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Try a medium power spinning rod. Close the bail before it hits the water and then like Delw said raise the rod tip to take up slack. Start reeling and reel your butt off and lower the rod tip at the same time. The problem is if a bass hits the buzz bait as soon as it hits the water or on the first couple of cranks (it happens a lot), you're in deep sneakers because you won't be in a good position to do a hookset with your rod so high.

Practice out in the pool 4 hours every day until next Thursday's trip. Buy a cheap wood kitchen stool, cut an inch off two opposing legs so it will rock like a boat at Saguaro, borrow a phone book from Bayou and put it on the ground in front of the stool, put either foot on the phonebook so it feels like the trolling motor pedal. Only practice from 4:30am to 6:30am and 6:30pm to 8:30pm because its a low light condition bait and you need to learn to throw these in the dark. If you can't practice during those hours then blindfold yourself for at least 2 hours a day and practice casting to the pool. Of course, we want pictures!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts