Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Camping and Fishing help

639 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  catch'n 
#1 ·
I am planning a camping trip and would like to fish, not taking the boat. I am not familiar with camping spots here. Any suggestions on where to go in the Rim area would be great. Taking the wife and our girls 7 and 14 months so amenities like restrooms is pobably needed. They love camping down here at the lakes but its too damn hot

#3 ·
Go to big lake. There are all kinds of ammenities like showers and a store. You are also right next to the lake and if you have a trailer there is a very modern new campground. A plus to camping at Biglake, is that you are 19 miles from everywhere in the world at any given time. You are 19 miles to Springerville, Alpine, and Greer. Plus you are only a hop, skip and a jump away from other lakes lake Crecent, Lee Valley, the Black River, The little colorado, Reservation Lake and many more.

#4 ·
A BIG +1 for Big Lake.

You can walk to the shore from your campsite, it's awesome.

Baits to use.
1. Rainbow colored powerbait
2. mini marshmallow and a red worm
3. Small silver & blue casting spoons, or mepp's spinners

They have some really nice brown's in that lake.

#5 ·
If you venture to the Little Colorado or black river, they have some pretty good apache's in there, they are fun to catch, but keep in mind, certain area's are artificial only area's, and G&F even told me that they consider Powerbait not to be artificial.

I'll give you a little secret, if you are not a fly fisherman get your spinning rod(lightweight), go to a fly fishing shop and buy some fly's that look like small grasshoppers(brownish/greyish). Tie them on and toss them into cuts, pockets, and next to tree stumps, it is a blast just get them on the water and start twitching them.

#6 ·
If you venture to the Little Colorado or black river, they have some pretty good apache's in there, they are fun to catch, but keep in mind, certain area's are artificial only area's, and G&F even told me that they consider Powerbait not to be artificial.

I'll give you a little secret, if you are not a fly fisherman get your spinning rod(lightweight), go to a fly fishing shop and buy some fly's that look like small grasshoppers(brownish/greyish). Tie them on and toss them into cuts, pockets, and next to tree stumps, it is a blast just get them on the water and start twitching them.
they are fly and lure only, power bait is... well... bait.

Get a bubble fill it almost all the way full leaving just a little air (or however much you want it to float off the bottom. 4 ft of liter, and one of those grasshopper flies... huck that thing out as far as you can (you cast them a mile). let it sink for 20 or 30 sec. (it falls slow) and real back to shore at a snails pace... I mean s-l-o-o-o-o-o-w, this can be deadly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.