Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if a spinning rod/reel can be used as efficiently for cranking as a baitcaster...it seems that most anglers use baitcasters for this technique, but I don't want to get into baitcasters just yet, but want to fish crankbaits.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I am using a SK series 1xs I'll throw it on a spinning reel because you can cast it a lot farther on light tackle then a bait caster. But that's the only way I'll throw a crank on a spinning reel.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i throw little cranks on my 66 mh 20lb fireline crystal clear,bigger o go to baitcaster

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I fished for years with just spinning gear and caught lots of fish. It can be done. that being said, bait casting gear is easier to use, IF you know how to use it. Thousands of bass are pulled out every year with spinning gear. Use what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I use them for light crank baits like shad raps.For larger cranks I like the bait casters,a spinning rod will wear you out throwing deep divers. I once read the late Tom Mann never used anything but a spinning outfit,hard to believe it. Bait casters are not that hard to learn. I know you are new to this, but you need to be versatile if you want to do well. A decent baitcaster with a low gear racial would benefit you if your serious about becomming a skilled angler. They are more accurate,you can use heavier line and the winch effect helps to keep you from getting worn down. You will get a few bird nest but less as you become proficient. It all comes down to practice. I had my kids flipping jigs in a tea cup at 5 yrs. old with a baitcaster. We made a game of it . Start out with a hoola hoop and work down and change distances. My kids loved to beat dad at casting games. Of course I let em!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I like to throw smaller cranks on a 7-6 medium rod.I tend to get more distance and more accuracy with the spinning gear. dont over crank or you will get line twist . I fish my cranks pretty slow so I never have a problem with line twist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts