Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pretty cool pic. Just curious, what size fifth wheels and boats? Total overall lenght of each rig?

Wondering because I have a 26' fifth wheel and 520VX and plan to tow doubles also.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought I had read that triple towing the length with a boat on the rear is measured without the motor. Paul Matthews can shed some insight on this, he recently went through the same thing.

That would be great if this is correct. I'd probably be just fine with some room to spare...

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
That would be great if this is correct. I'd probably be just fine with some room to spare...
Yep that is the law. Boat length is measured from front of the tongue to the transom. Motor and jack plates don't count. Go figure. My rig is 26'9" and my Dodge is shortbed 2500. I measure exactly 42" fom front bumper to rear of coach. add a foot for the hitch and I am at 65' towing a 519. My boat is just under 22' from tongue to transom.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The rig in the back is mine. I have a crew cab long bed a 24' fifth wheel and a 21' procraft and i am deffinately pushing 65'. I would say from nose of truck to transom i am very close to 65' if not over. Add motor and jack plate and i am deffinately over

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good looking rigs!

I triple tow also and was wondering if you guys have installed either a rear view camera or a hitch camera? I can't see much of my Ranger behind me other than when going around curves or making turns. Would like to install a camera(s) to keep an eye on the boat as I go down the road. If so, do you have any recommendations on system type/brands? I'm concerned about blowing a tire on the boat trailer and not knowing it. Also thinking of a tire monitoring system.

I was surprised on how easy my rig tows. Very happy with my setup. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions you have.

Larry

·
Registered
665 Posts
Paul, where did you get your info from. One of my customers was in a accident recently with a triple rig like the ones in the picture and he was issued a ticket for being two feet too long. He also received a ticket for failure to control his vehicle which they say caused the accident. He is trying to fight the tickets in court. Maybe this would help him.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good looking rigs!

I triple tow also and was wondering if you guys have installed either a rear view camera or a hitch camera? I can't see much of my Ranger behind me other than when going around curves or making turns. Would like to install a camera(s) to keep an eye on the boat as I go down the road. If so, do you have any recommendations on system type/brands? I'm concerned about blowing a tire on the boat trailer and not knowing it. Also thinking of a tire monitoring system.

I was surprised on how easy my rig tows. Very happy with my setup. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions you have.

Larry
Larry, I've thought about mounting a rear view camera on the 5th wheel, but I think it would be best to use a wireless unit or you would have a ton of wiring to do. Most auto stores, even Walmart sell a wireless camera which is part of a license plate frame and the actual camera goes in the truck, I might try that, but mounting the frame at the top of the 5th wheel in the center, angled down. Allen

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just curious, when you guys tow these rigs, do you dare back into a camp spot or go in reverse at all? What is your process when you get to the camp site to get it all unhooked and boat launched, etc?

I would guess that at Roosy you would unhook the boat at the Cholla parking lot, go unhook your trailer at your camp site, go back and get your boat? Am I making it more difficult than it is?

I'm also guessing that you have to have a diesel to realistically do this? 3/4 ton is ok?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just curious, when you guys tow these rigs, do you dare back into a camp spot or go in reverse at all? What is your process when you get to the camp site to get it all unhooked and boat launched, etc?

I would guess that at Roosy you would unhook the boat at the Cholla parking lot, go unhook your trailer at your camp site, go back and get your boat? Am I making it more difficult than it is?

I'm also guessing that you have to have a diesel to realistically do this? 3/4 ton is ok?
I cant back mine up more than 10-15ft without getting everything all out of whack! I unhook boat and park the trailer then go get my boat and leave it hooked up for the duration of the stay and vise-versa when leaving. I would strongly recommend a diesel 3/4 ton or larger. Depending on the weight and size of everything you could do it with a gas motor but it would have to work hard.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts

I drop the boat and go park the trailer, then go hook up the boat to just the truck for launching and what not.

The plus about the 5th wheel is that you don't have to "break camp" or wake up the wife to launch at sunrise like you would with an RV or a 6-pack

I pull with my gasser, it's rated for 10,500 lb and I am close when loaded down. If you can swing a deisel I would highly suggest it. My gasser gets me through but I don't triple tow a whole lot so it's not a super big deal. It does fine pulling one or the other but when both hooked up I drop from about 15mpg to about 7-8mpg depending on the grade..Next truck will be a deisel

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
RV Trader was the first to tell me that it is from tongue to transom. If your customer was driving too fast and lost control he is probably libel no matter how long it is. I do know that at 42' with truck and 5'th wheel you don't have a lot of wiggle room. I would be illegal if I had a 20' boat. Most people will say that AZ is not too strick on length. However if you are in a wreck yor are basicly screwed. Boat Cop has also stated the same on another post.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I can back up pretty well but only in emergencies. :Iconrotfl Why would you want a camera at the trailer? I like the fact that I cant see the boat.:biggrin:
I have a Ford 250 and I have had no issues and my milage is better then the Chebby's: Jerk-it My trailer is 60'+ but less then 70' :biggrin:I am sure that If I am going to receive a ticket for overlimit I am gonna get another one for speeding:Iconrotfl

1 - 20 of 21 Posts