Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change a lot of the trebles on my baits. What size would I be able to use on more than a few baits, basically cranks, a few topwater baits, some jerkbaits. I'm guessing I should go with owners?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I always change out my trebles with either Owner or Gamakatsus, you should try to stay with the same size and weight on cranks or it could change the action.(Sometimes that's not a bad idea!)
Some topwater baits can have a better action by going to a larger treble on the tail making it jump a little better, also adding a feathered treble sometimes may mean an extra strike.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, lol the peta thing is a joke because it's so ridiculous. i'm not a fan of peta :riaa:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Gary Dobyns had an article where he states that he always changes out his hooks to one size bigger, with very little if any change to the baits action.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Gary Dobyns had an article where he states that he always changes out his hooks to one size bigger, with very little if any change to the baits action.
+1,one size bigger at least on the back hook and if you do it on the front hook the two hooks tend to tangle up on each other.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
must common size 6,4 for cranks and topwater 8 for small jerks and cranks.
With the using size 8 use owner x2 or the x1 hooks and you wont loose the bigger fish from the hooks bending.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
+1 to the owners or gammys. Stick to the size that they came with, maybe go larger on the rear one.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I use Mustad ultra point triple grip hooks on all my baits and I usualy replace with one size larger hooks.
+1 and I change the spit ring on the front of the bait to a oblong one. I do this on all my crankbaits.:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
We can dream!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
must common size 6,4 for cranks and topwater 8 for small jerks and cranks.
With the using size 8 use owner x2 or the x1 hooks and you wont loose the bigger fish from the hooks bending.
I'll second that I typically use owners but tried out the gammys on some topwater, they were way too soft, bent them out constantly when using pliers to get the hook out of the fish's mouth. Go with the owners, if you're not sure what size just grab your bait off the rack and compare it to the hooks you are looking at.

I too have had issues with bigger hooks getting caught up in the line & the neighboring hooks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts